Ezen Baklattan

Kubo & The Two Strings | 8/19/16 | LAIKA | Early Reviews are Very Positive

Wow does this film have barely any showtimes out here. It's in theaters, but they're showing it four to five times a day max. That includes both 3D and 2D showings.

One theater honest-to-god has their 3D showings at 10:30 AM and 9:50 AM, with two 2D ones in-between. So of course this means Kubo is in only one theater in each multiplex. And it's not like Vegas is against animated fare: Dory and Pets had multiple theaters in their multiplexes, even Pete's Dragon is currently showing in more than just one theater.

That makes me really sad because I wanted to catch an early screening like my nearby theater does for family films at 9AM on the weekends... but they don't even HAVE it. Instead there are an incredible number of BEN HUR showtimes for all those non-existent people just waiting to see that.

Starting to suspect the theater chains have almost zero faith in this movie. Whatever, screw them. I'll try my damndest to catch a screening on Tuesday.

• Like 1

My theater was empty apart from some twentysomething guy in the back who was way too easily amused, but I don't see why this shouldn't have good legs. Has a nice message, more than its share of humor and it's not that traumatizing, certainly not like Coraline or ParaNorman might've been.

Unfortunately I don't think they'll be enough to put this in the black. Travis will have to keep relying on his dad's shoe business.

Edited by tribefan695

On 19/08/2016 at 10:02 PM, JohnnyGossamer said:

I wrote for the Feature Section of the school paper. Wrote shit about box office and movies and pop culture and I had to pay for every damn movie.

Lol same

10 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

I didn't dislike it, and it's far from bad, but I'm feeling more and more disappointed with this the more I think about it.

My friend who saw it said the screenplay is a mess. Your non-spoilery thoughts?

• Like 1

I think the screen story is fine. Just about perfect to be honest. Maybe could've used a little fine tuning. But, yeah, screenplay itself is rough in patches. Again, they spend so much time on these movies it's a wonder that they didn't hire someone gifted with words to clean it up. And, honestly, that's really all it needs... Just another draft to clean up the rough patches of awkwardly simple dialogue.

But, again, the overarching narrative is NOT a mess in my view. Not in the slightest. The themes and sense of adventure are fantastic and the note the movie ends on resonates.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2