Ezen Baklattan

Kubo & The Two Strings | 8/19/16 | LAIKA | Early Reviews are Very Positive

I've noticed quite a few of the 4/5 reviews are hung up on the "white washing" of voice casting. While I understand the gripe, did Kung Fu Panda face similar complaints? Seems a bit odd given, even though it likely won't work, adding names like Theron and McConaughey and so on is definitely in hopes that their names grab the attention of GA in marketing. Odder still is that everyone that gripes about the voice casting seems to believe those that were cast turn in great work.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I've noticed quite a few of the 4/5 reviews are hung up on the "white washing" of voice casting. While I understand the gripe, did Kung Fu Panda face similar complaints? Seems a bit odd given, even though it likely won't work, adding names like Theron and McConaughey and so on is definitely in hopes that their names grab the attention of GA in marketing. Odder still is that everyone that gripes about the voice casting seems to believe those that were cast turn in great work.

I hear a few people wish they used more Asian voice actors, but everyone kind of lets it pass. Almost 100% certain that they dub it for China with big Chinese actors anyway, and they do way better over there than here in NA. I absolutely understand their concerns, because diversity behind the camera is important too. It won't stop me from enjoying the movie (unless the voice actors do a poor job, but I doubt it), but i'll always wish that they went that extra mile.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThatOneWardog said:

Hearing people complain about whitewashing from voice actors in an ANIMATED MOVIE is the stupidest shit I've ever heard.

It does seem very odd. I understand it but, again, odd. It would almost make more sense if a someone said they should've cast Japanese voice actor and had them speak Japanese make it more authentic. Hiring talented Asian voice actors because they speak English with an accent seems strange. That said, they probably could've added another couple.

But, just had me thinking, did folks complain when Ratatouille failed to showcase any French voice actors to voice anyone in the movie? Instead, they hired comedians, etc. to speak plain English or English with a French accent, no? I guess I just don't entirely get the complaint. I get it... But, only a little.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I hear a few people wish they used more Asian voice actors, but everyone kind of lets it pass. Almost 100% certain that they dub it for China with big Chinese actors anyway, and they do way better over there than here in NA. I absolutely understand their concerns, because diversity behind the camera is important too. It won't stop me from enjoying the movie (unless the voice actors do a poor job, but I doubt it), but i'll always wish that they went that extra mile.

I totally get that. But, I mean, the best possible case is simply having Kubo translated effectively in Japanese and hiring very talented Japanese actors to do the voice work. In that case, it's true to the source and authentic as ever. Otherwise, as I mentioned with Ratatouille, an audience simply hear French, Italian, Japanese, etc. accent but all dialogue is spoken in English.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I totally get that. But, I mean, the best possible case is simply having Kubo translated effectively in Japanese and hiring very talented Japanese actors to do the voice work. In that case, it's true to the source and authentic as ever. Otherwise, as I mentioned with Ratatouille, an audience simply hear French, Italian, Japanese, etc. accent but all dialogue is spoken in English.

There are certainly American Japanese people (Or, to broaden the net, East Asian people) who work in the voice industry in America. It is an American production, and I absolutely wouldn't expect Laika to go to Japan and pick people from a similar region, that would be a nightmare and cost-prohibitive.

I don't blame them 100% for using popular names because Laika movies don't do so hot stateside, and I'm not 100% against having a white person in the cast. I just wish they tried a little harder to have more than one, two? It's not super common to see an East Asian story get wide release in mainstream America and it could have been a real opportunity for someone.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 3

I only saw the trailers recently. The animation looks incredible! And I love the unique characters designs too. 

I look forward to it. Hopeful for a break out. 

Edited by Sam
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

There are certainly American Japanese people (Or, to broaden the net, East Asian people) who work in the voice industry in America. It is an American production, and I absolutely wouldn't expect Laika to go to Japan and pick people from a similar region, that would be a nightmare and cost-prohibitive.

I don't blame them 100% for using popular names because Laika movies don't do so hot stateside, and I'm not 100% against having a white person in the cast. I just wish they tried a little harder to have more than one, two? It's not super common to see an East Asian story get wide release in mainstream America and it could have been a real opportunity for someone.

To this, as I mentioned in one of my earlier replies, I agree wholeheartedly and wish they had. I understand wanting a pair of Oscar winner names accompanying Kubo for marketing. I understand the kid as well. But, yeah, aside from that, Laika could've done a much better job. Either way, very much cannot wait to see it and happy to hear, even though they didn't make the extra effort, that the voice work by everyone is being applauded by those that've seen it.

• Like 2

We still don't have showtimes :/ but we didn't have any for Florence or Pete's Dragon until Thursday before so.

We really don't need every theater in town to show Ben Hur like 7 times.

Edited by Morieris

Great to see that that ridiculous rotten review is still the only rotten one. Honestly that review reeked of such a narrow-minded viewpoint, that I disregard it entirely.

Honestly can't wait to watch this, it looks absolutely gorgeous and with Laika you never get a movie that lacks imagination and heart.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Great to see that that ridiculous rotten review is still the only rotten one. Honestly that review reeked of such a narrow-minded viewpoint, that I disregard it entirely.

Honestly can't wait to watch this, it looks absolutely gorgeous and with Laika you never get a movie that lacks imagination and heart.

Read the review. While the weirdly pointed out the "How dare this have beliefs that aren't mine" is hilarious, the best is still, "LAIKA animation is too good, people will just think this is CGI." a whole paragraph of the review devoted to that, as if that's a determent to a film. But then again, it looks like obvious stop motion to me...

Edited by RandomJC
mine...not mind.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Can't wait for this, looks like the critics' reception is on Zootopia level, hopefully this makes enough money to justify the existence of these stop motion animations.

Laika has Nike money as the founder Travis Knight is the son of Phillip Knight so I'm sure they'll be fine. 

• Like 1