Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti's Lustral Cinematic Celebration (100 Best Films From 2010-2014) - Top 10 Time!

Looper is really good and underrated on here.

Looper gets enough flack on here that it's the one place on the net where it can actually be considered underrated.

I'm going to start a list of overrated movies this century, and... um... this may or may not feature... :P

Break it up, break it up!

93d54-perksofbeingawallflower1.jpg
46. THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER
"And at that moment, I knew: We were infinite."
Perhaps it is for the best that Stephen Chbosky chose to write and direct this adaption of his own source material and getting it through an independent distributor, letting him truly create the vision for his amazing book. Charlie is a freshman in High School not after amazing grades, sex, or wild parties: he just wants to belong somewhere. He soon finds a group of like-minded misfits who take him under their wing, and we see the roller coaster of joy, fear, sadness, hope, and life that drives his year. It's a beautifully made and emotionally powerful tale of friendship and growing up, one that understands and respects the nuances of real life and its fears, dreams, and traumas, almost like Richard Linklater's best works. It's a work of cinematic magic, and an utter love letter to the soul. 

cabin-in-the-woods-one.jpg
45. THE CABIN IN THE WOODS
"Are you even listening to me?"
I at first had zero interest in what looked like a generic horror movie, but I decided to give it a chance with the good reviews it got. Boy, I was in for a surprise. The way it completely throws a curve ball at you from what you expected, not to mention just acting as a meta curveball satirizing the factors that made you expect what you had expected, Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon give Lord and Miller a run for their money in that department. If you haven't seen it, I won't spoil a thing for you, but this is a really hard movie to talk about in general. Just sit back without knowing anything going in (I don't think that's more important than with this movie as opposed to anything else I've seen recently), and have a really fucking amazing time. It's one of the most exciting and fun stories of the decade so far. It also narrowly beats Guardians of the Galaxy as my favorite title card of the decade.

12-years-a-slave1.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=
44. 12 YEARS A SLAVE
"I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hardy until freedom is opportune!"
Steve McQueen is the kind of director that knows how to tell a convincingly brutal and powerful story, and perhaps nowhere is that more apparent than with his Oscar winning feature. Chiwetel Eijiofor gives a subtly powerful performance as Solomon Northrup, a freed African American tricked into returning to slavery in the mid-19th century south. Unlike other similar films, McQueen never shies away from the true brutality of slavery and racism, making us witness every act of cruelty as they really were. In that regard, it's more innovative than you might think, especially as it builds up to a fairly inspiring and powerful story that never slips on the gentle gloves. Ignore Brad Pitt's anvilicious cameo as a Canadian abolitionist (I was worried when I found out he produced Selma), and it's truly a phenomenal tale.

• Like 8

Haven't seen Perks (it left Netflix the day before I tried to watch it).
Haven't seen 12YAS. (I'm lazy)

Have seen Cabin.

Cabin in the Woods also has a very good chance to make it to my top 50 list. Really good satirical take on the horror genre, it was quite scary at times but I had my Thor to protect me. Well, until he

died.

Last act is excellent.

• Like 2

25655-free-fall.jpg

43. FREE FALL

"Mom? Mom?!"

I bet few of you have heard of this movie, but I will just describe it as follows: Imagine Hungarian existential drama filtered through absurdist black comedy. That's the best way I can describe this crazy, ridiculous tale. It begins when an old woman throws herself off of her apartment building, eventually surviving and working her way back upstairs. Along the way, she sees (or imaginess) vignettes of bizarre variety, including ridiculously safe sex and a sitcom style show about a threesome. I have no idea how do describe this ridiculous movie, but it's really fucking amazing. It's twisted, bizarre, dramatic, heartfelt, hilarious, jaw-dropping, unique, and so much more. I'm really at a loss for this movie, but it's like nothing else. Give it a good look if you're interested.

kevin_ezra_miller_2.jpg
42. WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN
"You know, you can be kind of harsh sometimes."
This is #1 on the list of movies you should never watch with your parents, because god, our family had a really awkward evening afterwards. The non-linear story follows a mother (one of Tilda Swinton's best and least over-the-top performances) struggling to find sanity and peace after her violent sociopath of a son Kevin (Played astoundingly by Ezra Miller in a very, very, very different role from Perks) commits an unthinkable act. The movie plays on atmosphere and chaos, like a violin, making it one of the most deeply uncomfortable movies I've ever seen. It explores themes of family, violence, a touch of existentialism, and even the nature of good and evil as it clashes within people you thought you loved, if you even did. It ends on a disturbingly ambiguous note, and you never know how exactly Kevin became who he was. 

rango1.jpg
41. RANGO
"No hero walks out on their own story."
Several stories debate on style or substance, but Rango is just like, "Fuck it, we're gonna have both." Easily one of the best animated films and one of Johnny Depp's best roles in recent memory, Rango tells the stylized tale of a self proclaimed thespian chameleon as he ventures into a lost-in-time village of Dirt, inhabited by other desert animals trying to get by, and the insidious plot to change it all completely. Rango, in the midst of a newfound personality crisis, tries to find a personality for himself as a hero and save the town from danger. It's a hilarious and wildly creative and enjoyable tale, one with quite a sharp kick for an animated film. It pays strong homage to westerns and noir thrillers, but like the main character, it crafts an identity all of its own, and boy is it a brilliant one. An absolute must see for any fan of animation.

• Like 7

Wanda is one of the best comedies of all time.  I'm still shocked, 26 years later, that the academy actually got something right by giving Kline best supporting actor that year.  He has one of the greatest performances in film history imo and they actually rewarded him for it.  Stunning.

AAAAAASSSSSSSHOOOOOLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!

• Like 3

Wanda is one of the best comedies of all time.  I'm still shocked, 26 years later, that the academy actually got something right by giving Kline best supporting actor that year.  He has one of the greatest performances in film history imo and they actually rewarded him for it.  Stunning.

AAAAAASSSSSSSHOOOOOLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!

Oh yes.

• Like 2