Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti's Lustral Cinematic Celebration (100 Best Films From 2010-2014) - Top 10 Time!

My cat's name is Harry.

(I'm glad to be able to contribute so productively to what you are talking about)

Is he an ordinary cat that was loved by it's mother and has a lightning bolt shaved into his fur on his forehead?

• Like 3

Does she think the central message of Buddhism is "Every man for himself"? 

Does she have a problem apologizing?

And does she think the London Underground is a political movement?

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

I'm so late but my two cents and

Edit: seemingly now off topic. :P

Nightcrawler:   How much empathy are you willing to throw away to make some big bucks? Bloom turns into a vulture of the night, preying on tragedy for his own gain. It's a brilliant film that proves to be not just thought provoking, but really fun as well.

Bloom doesn't throw any empathy away, he has none from the first frame with the security guard. He's a hard core sociopath who finds his ready made media niche in his road to success where it doesn't matter that he can barely fake being human.

I didn't have fun watching this movie and found it relentlessly scuzzily one note. 

In terms of films about bankruptcy or ethics and morality is media it's not a patch on Ace In The Hole, The Sweet Smell Of Success or Network or even Broadcast News and His Girl Friday.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I'm so late but my two cents and

Edit: seemingly now off topic. :P

Bloom doesn't throw any empathy away, he has none from the first frame with the security guard. He's a hard core sociopath who finds his ready made media niche in his road to success where it doesn't matter that he can barely fake being human.

I didn't have fun watching this movie and found it relentlessly scuzzily one note.

That's not quite what I meant. The film takes place long after he lost his empathy, but it's this new mission that highlights to us just how low he has sunk.

• Like 1

Is he an ordinary cat that was loved by it's mother and has a lightning bolt shaved into his fur on his forehead?

I don't know what happened to his parents - we found him on our doorstep. (Well, he was a stray. Same thing.)

He has a chunk missing from his ear... does that count?

Btw, my previous cat (died when he was 5 :( ) was called Anakin. Which I think is an excellent name for a lovely (and maybe somewhat very dark evil meant-to-destroy-the-sith-not-join-them) kitty.

("Is that the one in Toy Story?", asked my grandmother the other day)

• Like 2

I don't know what happened to his parents - we found him on our doorstep. (Well, he was a stray. Same thing.)

He has a chunk missing from his ear... does that count?

All we're saying is don't be surprised if he receives a letter inviting him to Hogwhiskers School of Witchcraft and Laser Pointers

• Like 3

That's not quite what I meant. The film takes place long after he lost his empathy, but it's this new mission that highlights to us just how low he has sunk.

I don't think he ever had any lose - ever.  He's a textbook sociopath who probably would have found success earlier if he was better at hiding it but luckily finally found a profession where that didn't matter..  This is the kind of guy that set fire to people cats named Wanda and harry for fun as an 8 yr old.

• Like 1

Do ittttt....

Also, to finish this up, we're going 5 at a time now, up to the top 10.

snowpiercer-1.jpg
40. SNOWPIERCER
"What happens if the engine stops, we all freeze and die!"

A parable of humanity functioning as an intense sci-fi/action tale, Snowpiercer makes an impressive English language debut for Bong Joon-Ho. The world of the train, the last home for humanity after an experiment to solve global warming goes horribly wrong and wipes most complex life off the planet, is incredibly realized and unique, although the situations aren't much better considering the brutal and unfair class system that has consumed the train. The journey taken is both itense, dark, and thoughtful in its discussion of systems of power and the flaws of humanity, but it ends on a coda of hope, albeit with great tragedy, that things may get better in the future. It's immaculately made, thoroughly entertaining, and may have you leaving the theater with some interesting thoughts. It's everything you could want out of a movie.

web_LincolnMovieReview.jpg 
39. LINCOLN
"I could write shorter sermons but when I get started I'm too lazy to stop."
With Steven Spielberg's latest feature, he literally makes history come alive. I've been a bit of a U.S. history nerd ever since I took AP US History I admit, but seeing this movie, it was amazing how easily Spielberg combines history with entertainment. Dainel Day Lewis gives an amazing performance as the titular president. The script functions more as a political drama than a straight biopic, which gives the film a unique flavor that gives its impressive cast several opportunities to shine, (especially Tommy Lee Jones, who gives my favorite supporting performance in the film) and the almost 19th Century Sorkin-like dialogue really gives the film another great touch. I am absolutely surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie, but it works on so many levels. Really well made and equally entertaining. 

1321052907_01_50_50.jpg
38. 50/50
"You smell like you fucked the cast of the view!"
Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon Levitt go full steam ahead on both sides of the coin of dramedy and comedy in this fairly spectacular film. After Joseph Gordon Levitt's character, Adam, is diagnosed with cancer, he struggles to find his recovery while still maintaining a good relationship with his best friend (Seth Rogen) and girlfriend (Bryce Dallas Howard) with mixed results. It never shies away from the tragedy of cancer, but it's filled with such life and joy that it becomes less of a lamentation of death but a celebration of life, and the joy that we can find in it. It dances between emotions and humor beautifully and creates a delicate balance that blows other such indie movies clean out of the water. It's a truly marvelous film.

django-unchained-blu-ray-screenshot-0230
37. DJANGO UNCHAINED
"The 'd' is silent."
I feel like Tarantino's historical revision here doesn't match up to the gleefully twisted and dark nature of Inglourious Basterds, but god damn, he knows how to make one damn fantastic movie. Centered around a freed slave's attempt to rescue his wife from a delightfuly evil plantation owner (Leonardo DiCaprio like you've never seen him before) with the help of a dentist/bounty hunter, portrayed by Christoph Waltz in a relatively heroic role. As I said in my review of True Grit, I'm not a huge fan of westerns, but mix it with Tarantino's style of black comedy and subtle epic-ness, and you get one hell of a movie. It's funny, dark, brilliantly crafted, and features amazing performances from Waltz, Jackson, and DiCaprio. It's everything you could have wanted out a Tarantino slavery revenge flick.

Anwar-congo.jpg
36. THE ACT OF KILLING
One of the most deeply uncomfortable, yet unique and visionary documentaries ever made, The Act of Killing will make you want a hot shower like nothing else this year. At first, it seems like deviously structured satire: A band of genocidal warlord re-enact their killings in the form of classes movies, and the Indonesian public sees them as celebrities and heroes. When you truly uncover the real horror behind this tale, and perhaps realize that there's more to it than meets the eye, then that's where the film smacks you in the face, and it hits HARD. It's a tale that's both uncomfortable yet resoundingly important, as the world slowly begins to uncover one of history and society's darkest secrets. It's nothing like you've seen before.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 9