Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti's Lustral Cinematic Celebration (100 Best Films From 2010-2014) - Top 10 Time!

There's two good songs in Frozen, but the others are pretty forgetful.

I think the reason I heavily dislike Frozen is because it follows the Disney princess movie standards and cliches too much. Overall, it's not a very compelling story.

But, but, but! It shows the princesses to be independent and not needing the male characters... or... something...!

• Like 1

But, but, but! It shows the princesses to be independent and not needing the male characters... or... something...!

Yeah, I never believed the feminist angle made Frozen so special and unique. Pretty much all Disney princess movies have strong, well-developed female protagonists.

Also, I did find the scene of Elsa kissing Anna to unfreeze her frozen heart a double-edged sword. At the same time it shows very well the two sisters' bond, I think it really throws Kristoff's character development out the window. All this time I was thinking that Kristoff would be the one to kiss Anna and unfreeze her heart based on how they built up their relationship throughout the whole movie, but he becomes completely sidelined in that single scene.

7204_5.jpg

52. BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
"I see that I am a little piece of a big, big universe, and that makes it right."
Several critics have described this as a live action Miyazaki movie, and you know what? They're almost completely right. It's an absolutely joyous piece of cinema and a celebration of life, freedom, and hope. Even the creed of it all, with a close-knit and joyful community surviving in a seemingly post apocalyptic island, kills any and all cynicism on spot. Much like My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and other Ghibli films, we see the world through the eyes of a child, seeking to find love from her father and hapiness in her life. She embarks on a journey that bolsters both fear, tragedy, hope, and utter power that becomes something you truly want to believe in. I think that anyone who watches this, young or old, will find something to really love about it.

frances-ha-2.jpg
51. FRANCES HA
"How many tickets left for Puss In Boots?"

While it may come off as irritating indie fodder on the surface, and to be honest, it's not entirely wrong, there's a gift wrapped ode to the frustration and confusion of the twenty-something lifestyle. Greta Gerwig, who co-wrote and stars as the titular Frances Ha(lliday), is just that character, trying to get by with her friends, love life, and job after college. It's a bit like a more upbeat and lighthearted version of Girls, but with just as much brilliance and charm. The black and white cinematography is also a pretty cool choice for the movie, giving it a unique visual aesthetic that ties in nicely to its characters' own confusion, but not to truly darken the mood. A very delightful coming of age story is ultimately at its precipice, and Greta Gerwig just oozes with heart and humor.

maxresdefault.jpg
50. GONE GIRL
"Nick Dunne. You're probably the most hated man in America right now. Did you kill your wife, Nick?"

David Fincher has often explored the dark side of Americana in his filmography: Gen X angst and capitalistic monotony in Fight Club, American fever dreams and social power in The Social Network, Society's own basic vices in Seven, and with Gone Girl, he tackles the divide of gender and the dark side of relationships. While it doesn't quite grasp the ambiguity and thematic punch of the book, and Fincher's style does begin to show signs of repetition, it's still an immaculately made story. Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike give strong performances as Nick and Amy Dunne. Pike particularly shines, making us believe the anguish and rage she has pent up following a life of subtle negation from her parents and her husband, almost justifying what she does. In the end, the media believes they got the happy ending they hunted for like wild dogs, but the truth is far more complicated, as it often is. Good show.

• Like 8

Yeah, I never believed the feminist angle made Frozen so special and unique. Pretty much all Disney princess movies have strong, well-developed female protagonists.

uhhh.... no.

Also, I did find the scene of Elsa kissing Anna to unfreeze her frozen heart a double-edged sword. At the same time it shows very well the two sisters' bond, I think it really throws Kristoff's character development out the window. All this time I was thinking that Kristoff would be the one to kiss Anna and unfreeze her heart based on how they built up their relationship throughout the whole movie, but he becomes completely sidelined in that single scene.

Are you sure you watched the movie?  That's not what happened.

• Like 2

True-Grit.jpg

49. TRUE GRIT
"I do not regret killing your father."
While it's not as strong as some of the Coen Brothers' other recent works (and considering its place in the top 50, it's pretty telling about the directors), True Grit is one of the coolest movies of the last few years, and I'm generally not a huge fan of westerns. It's gorgeously atmospheric with Roger Deakin's cinematography and the strong art direction, but the power of the movie comes from its characters. Namely, Hailee Steinfeld's debut performance as Mattie Ross. She single handedly carries the movie as her quest for justice begins to consume her, eventually doing more harm for her in the long run. She's the main reason the movie works so well, but you can also expect to see strong turns from Bridges, Damon, and especially Josh Brolin. 

rap231338LARGE.jpg
48. WRECK IT RALPH
"I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, but there's no one I'd rather be, than me."
My favorite WDAS feature since The Renaissance. It may not be a musical or a typical fairy tale, but it contains everything that makes their films so damn great. Wreck-It Ralph's journey to prove that he's not a bad guy, eventually uniting with fellow misfit and seemingly glitchy racer Vanellope Von Schweetz, gives the movie a powerful heart that convinces you to believe what these characters go through and their choices, along with the charming, all-loving hero Fix It Felix Jr. as he tries to find Ralph and save their game with the help of a cyberpunk military officer with a horrifically tragic back story. It's brightly funny, surprisingly creative, and anchored by a joyous heart. Wreck-It Ralph is, quite simply put, everything we love about movies, and it's proof that you can have your cake and eat it too. (Pun somewhat incidental) Bonus points to Paperman, one of the most beautiful works of animation I've ever seen.

LooperJGL.jpg
47. LOOPER
"I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it."

One of the most exciting and fresh sci-fi action flicks of recent memory, Looper is a movie you love just for being so damn cool. Everything about it is assured, confident, and really well crafted. It never tries to be anything it's not, and that kind of earnestness is hard to come by in recent movies. Joseph Gordon Levitt gives a sharp and realistic performance as he introduces us to this word and his line of work, as well as all of the difficulties that arise in the process. The journey is never engaging, and it builts up to an ending that manages to be thematically and emotionally satisfying in great quantities. An overall fantastic treat for film lovers all around, Looper is an excellent film to watch and just get lost in, as well as see why people really really love Emily Blunt. Seriously, she's amazing.

• Like 6

Haven't seen True Grit. Wreck-It Ralph was okay, nothing special, just another bland animated film.

Looper on the otherhand is really bad. It has a strong cast but that's about it. It's the definition of a mess of a movie. It doesn't know what the hell it's doing, and it's got seventeen thousand layers of nonsensical plot tied together by little more than a string. 

Watching Looper is like watching paint dry. But then the pain explodes, for no real reason, which should be interesting, but you don't actually care.

• Like 1