baumer

Taken (and other Thurs numbers)Thursday early shows: 1.6M

By comparison, Taken 2 earned $1.5 million from preview shows, as part of a $49.5 million weekend, back in October 2012. Taken 3's initial haul is also in line with last September's The Equalizer ($1.5 million Thursday night / $34.1 million weekend). Based on early results and strong online tracking, Taken 3 looks poised to top $30 million through Sunday.

I've seen two professional publications saying that this will come in at around 30 mill.  I don't understand that prediction.  Sure the second wasn't as good, but guess what?  It had a terrific multiplier for a sequel and it made pretty much exactly the same as the first.  Plus this is the final chapter and the trailer is one of the better ones out there.  I see no reason for this to come in under 40 mill.

• Like 8

I've seen two professional publications saying that this will come in at around 30 mill. I don't understand that prediction. Sure the second wasn't as good, but guess what? It had a terrific multiplier for a sequel and it made pretty much exactly the same as the first. Plus this is the final chapter and the trailer is one of the better ones out there. I see no reason for this to come in under 40 mill.

I dunno about going over $40m, but considering how this doesn't have close to the same hype as the second I'm really impressed by that number.
  • Like 1

Nice number for Taken 3, this is locked to to 35 million but 40 is out of reach.

You have no basis for this.  How can one number be locked and another be out of reach based on a number than is higher than the previous film, which went on to make 49 mill OW.

• Like 2

It has a ton of buzz and some really great marketing, so I can certainly see a 40 mill weekend coming, but this is not going to get WOM like the second, much less the first, at all. Taken 2 might have gotten bad reviews, but it had ENERGY, was fun in a ludicrous way, and had cool action scenes. This movie has barely any action and a bland, lifeless storyline. Not gonna be a WOM hit, IMO.

• Like 1

It has a ton of buzz and some really great marketing, so I can certainly see a 40 mill weekend coming, but this is not going to get WOM like the second, much less the first, at all. Taken 2 might have gotten bad reviews, but it had ENERGY, was fun in a ludicrous way, and had cool action scenes. This movie has barely any action and a bland, lifeless storyline. Not gonna be a WOM hit, IMO.

Why would they take the action out of it?  That's all we want to see, Mills using his particular set of skills to kill some bad guys.

• Like 1

Why would they take the action out of it?  That's all we want to see, Mills using his particular set of skills to kill some bad guys.

Beats me, man. The only action scenes in it are poorly edited and jump around a bunch. There is a few car chases, but I don't see these movies for car chases, I wanted much more hand to hand badassery.

• Like 1