baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

10. Woody Allen movies

woody-allen-younger.jpg

Yep.

I've never really gotten into him or them. Even the ones I've liked I don't feel any passion or love towards, and honestly at this point the skeezyness of his personal life has also tainted my opinion.

Okay another wise choice. Okay it's not all bad

• Like 3

And..... Number one:

1. Pyscho

psycho_xlg.jpg

90 seconds does not a good movie make. Sure, those 90 seconds are brilliant, and maybe it blew away unsuspecting audiences back in the day. But for me, it's mostly boring and uninteresting. Then you have the great shower scene and one other cool reveal (his mom), but then Hitch rambles on for another length of time explaining, explaining, and more explaining.  People get so blown away by the shower scene that they forget how cruddy the rest of the movie is.

• Like 7

12. All Disney animated movies

(insert many, many posters here)

Yes, a few of them are very well made. But on the whole (and even the good ones), they're over-rated. They tend to follow extremely limited storylines (reduced, even, from the original myths some of them are adapted from) and they tend to serve two masters: lots of noise and flash to keep the kiddies' attention, and mildly risque humor and/or topical pop-culture references to stop the parents from shooting themselves.

Tele, I'm afraid I've been thinking.

This is a dangerous pasttime, you know,

But you're a wacky old man who's gone farther

Your sanity's only so-so

Now, the wheels in my head have been turning, Tele

Since I looked at your gloomy old list

See, I promised myself I'd keep myself calm

But right now I'm getting pissed!

No one plots like Disney

Full song shots like Disney

Plans to animate awesome jackpots like Disney

So Tele's ban we soon'll be celebrating

My what a corp!
DISNEY!!!
  • Like 6

5. It's a Wonderful Life

I tend to not like schmaltz, so maybe this isn't that big of a surprise. This one has so much syrupy corn you could get diabetes just watching it. Capra's much better when he's not trying to push a theme. As Samuel Goldwyn said, "Pictures were made to entertain. If you want to send a message, call Western Union." Give me IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT any day of the week.

You actually consider this (fucking wonderful) movie "message movie" let alone the kind Goldwyn was kvetching about?  This isn't exactly The Ox Bow Incident or I'm A Fugitive From A Chain Gang.   It's not even Capra's own Mr. Smith Goes To Washington or Mr Deeds Goes To Town.

• Like 1

9. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

pirates_of_the_caribbean.jpg

People like to dump on the sequels, but all their problems are evident in the first movie (just buried a bit more under the novelty of the story, since it's the first one). The plot is way too convoluted for its own good, Bloom and Knightley are pretty but their characters are bland as hell, Depp minces around and gets all the one-liners, and the film generally has that typical corporate approach of generic contemporary "period" action: 21st-century sensibilities smashed anachronistically into older times. None of these things are inherently terrible problems, but while the movie has a lot of action, little of it really stands out, so for the most part its noise and fury to little effect. The first sequel actually improves on PEARL: it embraces a Looney Tune-esque attitude toward action (where the first was far too determined to have "realistic" action), it takes its characters in more interesting directions, it has a truly fascinating villain with some meaningful motivation... but the first movie is praised as one of the greatest adventures of its generation. Not even close.

Tele you are dead to me. 

Liking DMC more than COTBP??? WTF?

• Like 1

You actually consider this (fucking wonderful) movie "message movie" let alone the kind Goldwyn was kvetching about?  This isn't exactly The Ox Bow Incident or I'm A Fugitive From A Chain Gang.   It's not even Capra's own Mr. Smith Goes To Washington or Mr Deeds Goes To Town.

Those aren't great either. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is basically the movie equivalent of a Hallmark card.

• Like 2

3. Forrest Gump

:lol: I'm not much of a fan, as I'm sure you all know. Good performance by Hanks, of course, and moments of great poignancy.... pushed aside by a bunch of self-referential shit and misplaced boomer nostalgia.

LOL even though I'm not a boomer, I love Forrest Gump. Then again, I'm a sucker for self-referential jokes

And..... Number one:

1. Pyscho

psycho_xlg.jpg

90 seconds does not a good movie make. Sure, those 90 seconds are brilliant, and maybe it blew away unsuspecting audiences back in the day. But for me, it's mostly boring and uninteresting. Then you have the great shower scene and one other cool reveal (his mom), but then Hitch rambles on for another length of time explaining, explaining, and more explaining.  People get so blown away by the shower scene that they forget how cruddy the rest of the movie is.

Huh.

Well, it's been fun Tele.

• Like 1

Runner-up:

Could it be PULP FICTION?

No. But close...

2. Inglourious Basterds

inglourious_basterds_ver14.jpg

Basically, Tarantino at his most self-indulgent. There are certainly a couple of scenes that are very well done (it is Tarantino, after all), but they're surrounded by a giant pile of shit. Smug, self-aware, preening, this is a giant mess of a movie, boosted to high recognition by the swarms of Tarantino devotees.

LOL Tele, if you switch Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds for me, you get my opinion on both.

Pulp Fiction is very eh

I wouldn't be that harsh on Psycho, its whole first half is fantastic (the rainstorm drive, the cop, Leigh and Perkins' performances especially when they have dinner), but I agree that once Leigh is gone it only has the second murder and the Mother's reveal going for it with a lot of tedium in between. Not one of my favorite films.

• Like 1

There about equal. Some days I would tell you DMC is better, other days I would say CotBP is better. Love both of those films so much.

Honestly, if I did a list of these, DMC and Pulp Fiction would probably both be in my top 5. Especially DMC, that's easily the worst Pirates movie.