lilmac

What boxoffice runs are unbelievable in retrospect?

This year is the best of the 21st century in yerms of unbelievable and completely unprecedented box office grosses, both domestic and worldwide - American Sniper, FF7, Jurrasic World. Oh, and there's still half an year remaining. Who knows maybe Inside out opens to 100m this weekend and then grosses 450m !?! :P

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 2

There were so many amazing runs this year in retrospect, and some amazing disappointments that are baffling in retrospect.

Amazing Runs: Force Awakens, JW, American Sniper, F7, Martian, Inside Out, Straight Outta Compton, PP2 

Amazing Disappointments: MJ2, Good Dino, Spectre

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

There were so many amazing runs this year in retrospect, and some amazing disappointments that are baffling in retrospect.

Amazing Runs: Force Awakens, JW, American Sniper, F7, Martian, Inside Out, Straight Outta Compton, PP2 

Amazing Disappointments: MJ2, Good Dino, Spectre

Good calls on all of those, though Spectre may be disappointing, I wouldn't call it amazing.

My top 5 all time box office performances:

1. Titanic - unlike today where major blockbusters break out with huge ODs and OWs plus massive midnight premiers, Titanic began its epic journey with a meager 8M and a 28M OW.  Then... consistency the likes of which we haven't seen since... ET!  It made over 1M for damn near three straight MONTHS!  Was #1 at the box office for 15 straight weeks.  The first film to make 1B outside North America... in 1998!  Its largest day ever was Valentine's Day; it made 13M.  While Avatar, Jurassic World and Avengers have passed the mythical mark of 600,788,188, I still take stock that, when adjusting for inflation and IMAX and 3D (two things that Titanic didn't have), it is still the true King of the World.

2. Frozen - Everyone said that they hated it from the song "Let it Go."  Well... it had enough staying power to be a top 5 and top 10 movie for the entirety of the Winter and Spring and was, outside of Avatar, the highest grossing WW movie of all time that was not a sequel, based on real events or part of a franchise.  Incredible.

3. Avatar - Started out with 77M OW and multiplied it by 10.  Earned 2B outside North America.  What else is there to say.

4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding - when you look at multipliers from the OW to final DOM total, it has a multiplier of 83.3%.  The second best multiplier of a wide release in history?  Star Wars... with a 45.4%.  E.T. is third with a 43.4%.  Wow!

5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - I have to put it here for now, it will go higher, depending on how this weekend and its overall total turns out to be.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2015, 9:42:39, Baumer Fett said:

Easy to say that we understand its success now but Titanic's run was mind blowing.  We've covered a lot of this in the "Pretend it's 1997 all over again" thread but look at these  facts and figures.

Opened to 28 million dollars.  

When it first opened, Guru said that it could leg it's way to 150 mill because of the holidays.

Second weekend, it increase by almost 24%.

By the third weekend, it had passed Guru's optimistic projection.  Meaning in three weeks time, it already had a 5 multiplier. 

The most it decreased on the weekend in its first 8 weeks was 13.8%.

It's highest grossing DAY came 58 days into it's run, when it made 13 million on Valentine's Day.

It cleared 400 million on day 66

It cleared 500 million on day 98

It was making at least 1 million dollars a day consecutively for for 92 days.

It was until weekend 16 that it stopped making 1 million a weekend.

Titanic's run was ridiculous.

103 days with 1 million plus, it´s what BOM says..

• Like 1

I really wouldn't call The Martian "amazing" or Spectre "disappointing" at all, they performed largely to expectations.

SOC was easily the biggest surprise of the year. No one expected F7, TFA, and JW to be THAT high but everyone expected them to be really high. Not the case with SOC.

And MJ2 isn't anywhere close to disappointments like UNCLE, Southpaw, or Tomorrowland. TGD is up there though.

Edited by department store basement

A surprise run would have to be The Hangover(might've already used it but I will explain again). R-rated comedies do not hold up that well after a 40+ OW in the summer, and it's legs were phenomal. Probably the best legs for a R-rated comedy since Beverly Hills Cop.Two surprise disappointments  would have to be to me Fantastic Four(the 2015 reboot) and Ted 2. Fantastic Four had a solid release date and had potential even with overseas markets if it just made a 100 million stateside and made 200-250 overseas. Ted 2 had an alright release date but wasn't expected to be bigger than its predecessor but not that large of drop. 2016 has not had a surprise or a dissapointment (at least to me yet) The Revenant wasn't really a surprise because the Oscars, Leo, WOM, and Inarritu's directing. 

11 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

A surprise run would have to be The Hangover(might've already used it but I will explain again). R-rated comedies do not hold up that well after a 40+ OW in the summer, and it's legs were phenomal. Probably the best legs for a R-rated comedy since Beverly Hills Cop.Two surprise disappointments  would have to be to me Fantastic Four(the 2015 reboot) and Ted 2. Fantastic Four had a solid release date and had potential even with overseas markets if it just made a 100 million stateside and made 200-250 overseas. Ted 2 had an alright release date but wasn't expected to be bigger than its predecessor but not that large of drop. 2016 has not had a surprise or a dissapointment (at least to me yet) The Revenant wasn't really a surprise because the Oscars, Leo, WOM, and Inarritu's directing. 

Comedy sequels rarely outgross their predecessors domestically, some rare exceptions being The Spy Who Shagged Me (which outgrossed the entire gross of the original AP during its weekend), When Nature Calls, the second Naked Gun etc...

Ted was just a novelty that ran its course. Few people were interested in a sequel, and the smaller box office returns show that.

Also I doubt The Revenant's success was because of Inarritu. I'd say about 80% of it was because of Leo.