Fancyarcher

American Made | 9/29/2017

14 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Maybe the Studio felt it wasnt the right time to release this rather build on WoM and present it to audiences...3 weekends and Hitmans Bodyguard topped all 3 comfortably.

But AM could have fit in the Labor Day weekend slot! 

From next week the schedule looks busy. AM should have solid WoM to sustain among these releases. 

Hitman did $10.2m it's second w/e.  It topped 3 weeks comfortably because the studios didn't release a new movie for two weeks - except the doomed Tulip Fever.

A mid August spot was far more preferable than a late Sept spot in between Assassin, Kingsman and Blade Runner.   One of those first two and/or this should have moved to August.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Hitman did $10.2m it's second w/e.  It topped 3 weeks comfortably because the studios didn't release a new movie for two weeks - except the doomed Tulip Fever.

A mid August spot was far more preferable than a late Sept spot in between Assassin, Kingsman and Blade Runner.   One of those first two and/or this should have moved to August.

Yup. Acc to me 2nd weekend of Hitmans Bodyguard would have been better but dont you think IT would have cut short AM's legs?

Universal fucked this up OS but domestically too early to say. 

• Like 1

Just now, John Rambo said:

Yup. Acc to me 2nd weekend of Hitmans Bodyguard would have been better but dont you think IT would have cut short AM's legs?

Universal fucked this up OS but domestically too early to say. 

It would have come out it's 3rd w/e and AM would have benefited from the empty Labor Day w/e like Hitman and the other films did.  A much better position than having Blade Runner (and adult drama  A Mountain Between Us) come out the next weekend and directly following Kingsman.  Then there are 4 wide releases the week after BR and 5 more the week after that - so screens are going to shed fast.

• Like 3

Attended an early (for the U.S.) screening of this tonight.  Cruise is actually credited as one of the "stunt pilots" in the end credits.  The lawsuit story is beginning to make a bit of sense.  Cruise has been taking some real chances with his life lately with this and M:I.  Perhaps getting older is frustrating him? 

As far as the film goes, he's good in it, and there are some great laughs, and Liman delivers something unique about this kind of story...but I still don't know if I'd ever watch it again.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

Attended an early (for the U.S.) screening of this tonight.  Cruise is actually credited as one of the "stunt pilots" in the end credits.  The lawsuit story is beginning to make a bit of sense.  Cruise has been taking some real chances with his life lately with this and M:I.  Perhaps getting older is frustrating him? 

As far as the film goes, he's good in it, and there are some great laughs, and Liman delivers something unique about this kind of story...but I still don't know if I'd ever watch it again.

Based on ur opinion it looks like this movie has less repeat value!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alli said:

Budget is 54M

“American Made,” which was produced for $54 million after tax breaks

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-fi-ct-movie-projector-america-made-20170927-htmlstory.html

My guess was not bad:

Look like it was at least planned has a 66m gross budget, net could be a bit under 56/57m

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

according to BOM the budget is 80m. Which makes more sense for a Doug Liman movie..

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mena.htm

The audited Louisiana state has a gross budget of 66.57m, matching that 54m net nicely:

https://fastlane.louisianaeconomicdevelopment.com/Film/FilmSearchDetails.aspx?ProjNum=%2f%40eBPloxaWa5psJmkB6BdQ%3d%3d

Mojo is really a last recourse source for budget (wikipedia tend to be much better), it is just a guy simply writing anything they hear I think and usually not correcting the number when better information become available.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

The audited Louisiana state has a gross budget of 66.57m, matching that 54m net nicely:

https://fastlane.louisianaeconomicdevelopment.com/Film/FilmSearchDetails.aspx?ProjNum=%2f%40eBPloxaWa5psJmkB6BdQ%3d%3d

Mojo is really a last recourse source for budget (wikipedia tend to be much better), it is just a guy simply writing anything they hear I think and usually not correcting the number when better information become available.

It's funny how BOM is still taken to be the #1 authority on dollars, even though it's now just one guy running the thing. 

Yes, years ago I relied a lot on BOM, also concerning the reported budget of films. But now, mmh. I remember when e.g. Homefront was released, imdb reported a 70M (!) budget and it took months till other websites corrected their false numbers to 22M ;) . Some never did.

IMO AM is really amusing and Tom Cruise carries the film very well so it should have a nice WOM (I know I said the same for Germany and it was wrong but Germans seem to dislike almost everything this year – this doesn't count). Plus AM gets good reviews, better than AA (which was at least well liked by the audience to be fair) and….it has Tom Cruise. I don't see why this movie should stay far under 20M.
It's not on MT so far but was/is (?) #3 on Pulse today, not bad. Another BOT member said AM will be a film with a lot of walk-ups which I could imagine too.
Does AM have enough advertisement?

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, el sid said:

Does AM have enough advertisement?

Yes second biggest TV spending last week:

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/the-lego-ninjago-movie-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202569978/

And the trailers is having really great metric:

Just behind “The LEGO Ninjago Movie” in second place: Universal Pictures’ “American Made,” which saw 883 national ad airings across 41 networks, with an estimated media value of $4.31 million. Notably, this ad has the best iSpot Attention Index (113) in the ranking, getting 13% fewer interruptions than the average movie ad (interruptions include changing the channel, pulling up the guide, fast-forwarding or turning off the TV).

Already above 15m a week before it's release, nothing giant but in line with that type of movie (maybe a bit above, because the trailer is playing really well, must be tempting to increase is presence).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1