CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

Too bad Keaton couldn't have won since he won't get many opportunities again (the fact that the biggest role he's gotten since Birdman is a supporting role in the King Kong reboot indicates that this will do as much for his career as The Wrestler did for Mickey Rourke's), but I can't deny Redmayne deserved it. Plus, I'm sure Leonardo DiCaprio is happy now that he will have one less competitor to his crowning moment next year, when he'll be in Inarritu's follow-up to Birdman (The Revenant) while Redmayne will be back in the race (playing transgendered in Tom Hooper's The Danish Girl). winks.gif

Well Julianne Moore did a pretty good speech. Neil Patrick Harris was not as bad as I thought he be.

Thought Hotel was going to win picture for a while. (Which I finally saw right before the Oscars)

And the song from Beyond the Stars must of been pretty bad as I don't even remember it. (or maybe it wasn't that bad as I probably still remember it if it was terrible)

• Like 1

American Sniper will be the movie nominated that people will remember. Most of the others are going to fade. They may achieve cult status, but I don't see them being remembered by most people.

That's my problem with the Oscars recently. They are trying so hard to nominate movies that most people haven't bothered to see. I'm not saying that every nominee needs to be a big blockbuster. But, the best pictures aren't the ones that the majority of the public chooses to ignore.

Also, the same 5-6 movies winning most of the awards is a little ridiculous. There are a few hundred movies made each year. The 5-6 indie movies that the Academy nominates for best picture don't have to win every other category as well. Even if you think they're the best pictures, they're not the best everything.

I'll be honest, I was so bored with the Oscars that I turned it off about 2/3 of the way through. I'm not sure who the Oscars are for, but they're definitely not making the show for me. And I'm a huge movie fan.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 2

Are you trying to edgy and cynical just to get attention?   :P

Keaton is vomit inducing to me as an actor and how he comes off as a person. I can't stand him on the whole and I'm elated that I no longer have to look at his punch worthy face so much now that this awards season is over. All that said he gave a good performance in Birdman, but it got so over-hyped and overblown that an Oscar on top of it all would have shot it into the stratosphere on the all time overrated performances list. Also my opinions aren't there to be "edgy" and "cynical" They're there to be my opinions and that's it.

Also, the same 5-6 movies winning most of the awards is a little ridiculous. There are a few hundred movies made each year. The 5-6 indie movies that the Academy nominates for best picture don't have to win every other category as well. Even if you think they're the best pictures, they're not the best everything.

I agree with this actually. Just because a movie is nominated for Best Picture does not mean its score, costumes, cinematography etc. would be in the top 5. I am always surprised by the lack of a wider net in the below the line categories.

The Academy did have decent diversity in the couple of years post the TDK snub. Then they changed the voting rules again to make it such that only above a certain percentage of voters should have a movie as #1 for it to be nominated. That has led to barely seen movies, even if they are really good, dominating again.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

.They are trying so hard to nominate movies that most people haven't bothered to see. I'm not saying that every nominee needs to be a big blockbuster. But, the best pictures aren't the ones that the majority of the public chooses to ignore.

Also, the same 5-6 movies winning most of the awards is a little ridiculous. There are a few hundred movies made each year. The 5-6 indie movies that the Academy nominates for best picture don't have to win every other category as well.

The Academy isn't trying to do anything, the members just nominate the movies they like. In fact, if anything, this year you should give them credit for nominating SNIPER well before there was any significant commercial groundswell. It's also worth pointing out that most of the nominees aren't indie movies.

• Like 3

American Sniper will be the movie nominated that people will remember. Most of the others are going to fade. They may achieve cult status, but I don't see them being remembered by most people.

That's my problem with the Oscars recently. They are trying so hard to nominate movies that most people haven't bothered to see. I'm not saying that every nominee needs to be a big blockbuster. But, the best pictures aren't the ones that the majority of the public chooses to ignore.

Movies that get big audiences don't usually do so because of how good they are, though. They tend to get em based on how well/much they're advertised.

• Like 1

A list of movies that lost Best Picture:

Citizen Kane

The Wizard of Oz

Every Disney, Pixar, and Studio Gili Movie

The Shawshank Redemption

Pulp Fiction

Fargo

Goodfellas

Star Wars

Network

The Graduate

Singing In The Rain

Raging Bull

Every Alfred Hitchcock Movie

Every David Fincher Movie

There Will Be Blood

Saving Private Ryan

Every Stanley Kubrick Movie

Every Lord/Miller Movie

Need I go on?

Every Nolan movie. We got dat VFX win tho! Yeh!

A list of movies that lost Best Picture:

Citizen Kane

The Wizard of Oz

Every Disney, Pixar, and Studio Gili Movie

The Shawshank Redemption

Pulp Fiction

Fargo

Goodfellas

Star Wars

Network

The Graduate

Singing In The Rain

Raging Bull

Every Alfred Hitchcock Movie

Every David Fincher Movie

There Will Be Blood

Saving Private Ryan

Every Stanley Kubrick Movie

Every Lord/Miller Movie

Need I go on?

Actually one Alfred Hitchcock movie won best picture, that being Rebecca. Course he wasn't a producer on it, and technically he never really won for directing unfortunately, but still.