CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

He did, but I'd blame the poorly-written material he was saddled with more than anything else. Bits like the Birdman/Whiplash spoof just felt awkward and forced, not at all clever.

what soured that bit for me is that the independent spirits did a much better version of the same sketch literally the night before.

I only got 2 categories wrong this year, Best Visual Effects (Apes lost again despite having one of the best visual effects I've ever seen :() and Best Original Screenplay. The best I've ever been.

And I just wanna say I'm soooo happy for Desplat. He's my favorite film composer. He has been nominated almost every year and never won, and finally he did! :D Also glad The Imitation Game won an Oscar, making every single BP nominees won at least one. The show itself sucked though. I love NPH, but the writing, the skits, and the jokes were bad. Thank god for Lady Gaga.

Edited by catlover

You've hit on exactly what the Oscars and the other dozens of awards shows have turned into over the past few decades: Marketing machines for small, unpopular movies that lack mass appeal. Hollywood gerryrigs these things so that movies no one outside a small audience actually wants to see get four months of nonstop publicity. The trophies go to the studios that conduct the best PR campaigns, not to the best nominees in any category.

This sums the whole thing up perfectly.

• Like 1

I only got 2 categories wrong this year, Best Visual Effects (Apes lost again despite having one of the best visual effects I've ever seen :() and Best Original Screenplay. The best I've ever been.

And I just wanna say I'm soooo happy for Desplat. He's my favorite film composer, and has been nominated almost every year, and finally he won! :D Also glad The Imitation Game won an Oscar, making every single BP nominees won at least an Oscar. The show itself sucked though. I love NPH, but the writing, the skits, and the jokes were bad. Thank god for Lady Gaga.

Apes had the best visual effects by far this year however I can understand the win for Interstellar. It created the most scientific depiction of a wormhole we've seen and made breakthroughs in doing so. Apes just did what a lot of movies have done before it, only it looked better this time.

136134325638571251.GIF

Oh shut it. I get that Patty's speech was divisive. Doesn't change the fact we got that awesome reaction shot out of it.

Also: Chris Pine shedding tears after the "Glory" performance. That should be the new default "OMG that's so amazing!" gif.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Oh shut it. I get that Patty's speech was divisive. Doesn't change the fact we got that awesome reaction shot out of it.

Also: Chris Pine shedding tears after the "Glory" performance. That should be the new default "OMG that's so amazing!" gif.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

You know the Oscars sucked when that reaction was so say one of the highlights of the night lol.