CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

No, "mixing" refers to the levels of all the different sounds (dialogue stems, music, sound effects, production audio, etc) and how they effect, play off, and interact with each other.

Sound editing is the placement and editing of the actual sound(s).

Thank you hun.

That makes a lot more sense given the term 'mixing'  :lol:

Boxoffice.com predictis American Sniper will make 200 million

Yeah, it could happen. If it opens to 45M this weekend then it'll need a 4.4x multi. Not convinced about it yet but it's possible.

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 2

No it didn't. It had a lot of overrated performances which were trying too hard to make the target audience cry. I get it, the movie probably brainwashed you into thinking it was one of the best movies and one of the best performances this year.

Too bad your opinion is wrong. :)

• Like 1

I'm wondering why Selma got BP and like nothing else. I feel like the screeners excuse doesn't work because, well, it got BP.

It's probably because there are up to 10 noms for BP. So while there weren't enough people who'd seen it to get it nommed elsewhere, those who had seen it were enough to secure a low BP slot. Essentially those fewer who saw it really liked it.

I'm wondering if this might mean that in the time between now and the end of voting, enough people will see it that it could garner a lot of support for the BP, if only because it didn't get any other recognition.

• Like 2

Too bad your opinion is wrong. :)

It's okay Baumer, I get it. Sometimes I too tend to think that a badly made lifetime movie which somehow got a major release was one of the best movies of the year with transcendent performances. Then I snap out of the brainwashing spell the movie put on me, because you know movies can do that now right. I hope you are released out of your spell soon.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised with $200m either at this point.  It's done bananas in limited release and it's all anyone is talking about down in these parts.

We've had people for weeks asking about it, one dude got angry that we didn't have it when it was "clearly" out already.  I had the great pleasure of showing him that it was only released in 4 theaters nationwide and it wasn't going wide until the 16th. 

Proving customers wrong is such an amazing feeling.

• Like 1

It's not rocket science. Selma got snubbed because it came out the year after 12 Years.

To be fair not exactly.

The movie was shot late this year and was completed very late.

So that s why the screeners were late too.

Rushing post production for the Oscar race, sometimes is a very bad idea.

They should have postponed it for next year.

• Like 1

To be fair not exactly.

The movie was shot late this year and was completed very late.

So that s why the screeners were late too.

Rushing post production for the Oscar race, sometimes is a very bad idea.

They should have postponed it for next year.

David Poland covers the screeners issue in detail

In the case of a movie like Selma, which has missed out on some expected guild nominations, the DVD issue can make for good cover. And indeed, Selma may have suffered from ego rage in some groups. The film was screened on November 11 for the first time. It was not quite done. Team DuVernay didn’t have their finished product until Thanksgiving week… when all the DVD production houses are closed for 5 days or more. That meant it got to the replicator on December 1.

SAG Nominating Committee started voting on November 19 and finished on December 8. DVDs literally could not be sent in time.

DGA voting started online on December 3.

Next question is, how many units could they make in how little time? And as the DVDs became available to ship, when would they arrive?

First priority, as it should be, is AMPAS. And they got screeners sometime in the third week of December.

Was there any point in trying to send DVDs to 15,000 DGA members if they were going to arrive more than halfway through the voting period and might not be received by holidaying members until January 5, a week before voting closed?

PGA voting actually started the day before DGA, December 1, and ended (insanely) on January 2, making DVD distribution of Selma to PGA’s 8000 members even more clearly futile.

Two days after DGA voting began, BFCA was informed that there would be no Selma screeners in time for the nominating vote, which started December 8 and ended December 12.

Selma was not WGA-qualified, so that was a non-issue.

Academy members have had discs of Selma for longer than anyone. They started voting later than any of the other guilds/associations

• Like 1

No, "mixing" refers to the levels of all the different sounds (dialogue stems, music, sound effects, production audio, etc) and how they effect, play off, and interact with each other.

Sound editing is the placement and editing of the actual sound(s).

Man, even when you put it like this, I am not exactly sure what it means.

I understand the mixing part, I know what is mixing ( I ve seen it in countless studio reports in music or in blu ray's making of), but the editing explanation still leaves me kinda clueless about what it really is.

• Like 1

This year's nominations are just plain bland. No blockbusters there and we had quite a few good ones. Also, The Lego Movie not being nominated in the animated catgory is just mind-boggling to me. I hope The Theory Everything wins BP.

If AS wins 200M DOM is as good as locked and considering it's impressive start OS, 350M+ WW is where it's headed. 

Also, I expected Interstellar to be nominated more. WTF?

Edited by James
  • Like 1

It's probably because there are up to 10 noms for BP. So while there weren't enough people who'd seen it to get it nommed elsewhere, those who had seen it were enough to secure a low BP slot. Essentially those fewer who saw it really liked it.

I'm wondering if this might mean that in the time between now and the end of voting, enough people will see it that it could garner a lot of support for the BP, if only because it didn't get any other recognition.

I was thinking about that too honestly. I still don't think it could win, but it might end up being a bigger contender now for BP than it looks since there is already a backlash in the media for its under-nomination. Could be an Argo effect.

• Like 1