Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

4 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

No sci-fi has ever won best picture. The Martin will not win best picture. Its best hope is to get nominated for best picture which is a long shot since it won't get any other major categorizes. 

Disagree on the latter part - let's see! Ridley's been getting great momentum in the race so far.

I was also in the "martian might just get to be an also-ran in the race" camp until recently but as the times passes I have to agree its gaining buzz. Steve Jobs was a non-starter as a serious contender. The small indie-like critic darlings (Room, Carol, Brooklyn) cannot beat the Martian even if they do relatively well at the box-office. So it looks basically like Spotlight , Martian and the three prestige heavyweights of late year. And at least until Joy, Revenant and H8ful Eight all come out and don't dissapoint, Martian is one of the top-2 choices for BP.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 2

Not going to search the thread for my predictions. So here are my current:

Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn

Carol
Hateful Eight

Inside Out

Joy

The Martian

The Revenant

Room

Spotlight

Okay 10 films there-Room and Bridge of Spies were 2 I decided to just add just now! (Even if I have had Spies for a while!)

I'd agree that it seems like either spotlight or the martian right now. unless joy is great (the revenant/h8ful don't see it no matter how good they are. can't see them give inarritu two in a row and hateful in general just seems way less... oscary than tarantino's last two which were probably about as awards baity as he'll ever get)

Best picture platform release watch:

Theatres / Gross / PTA

Spotlight: 598 / $3603466 / $6026

Brooklyn: 111 / $1150000 / $10360

Room: 160 / $379200 / $2370

Carol: 4 / $248149 / $62037

Room seems to have stalled. It's disappointing.

Am I the only one a little underwhelmed by the Spotlight number? It's healthy but not a break out.

On 22/11/2015 3:34:06, Dexter of Suburbia said:

No sci-fi has ever won best picture. The Martin will not win best picture. Its best hope is to get nominated for best picture which is a long shot since it won't get any other major categorizes. 

The Martian has a very good chance to be nommed at important categories like Best director, Best lead actor or Best editing. Add in the assured nominations in both sound categories and probable nominations for Adapted screenplay and Cinematography.

And I am saying this despite I didn't particularly love The Martian.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

the race just got interesting

revenant could pull a 12 yrs a slave and win

I don't know, from what I gather from Tele's comments it sounds like it will do insanely well in nominations but won't be a contender outside of the techs and Tom Hardy. 

18 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

can't see them give inarritu two in a row and hateful in general just seems way less... oscary than tarantino's last two which were probably about as awards baity as he'll ever get)

Hateful Eight doesn't have an a-lister on the cast or slavery, WWII theme but it's still way more prestig-y than the Kill Bills and Death Proofs of Tarantino's past. It's a western with a big cast and the main conversation within the industry about it is the 70mm "they don't make them like they used to" thing that oscar voters will eat-up. Also Tarantino's status is bigger than ever now after Basterds and Django. If the movie doesn't dissapoint I can easily see it getting nominated across the board above smaller stuff like Room and Brooklyn. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Hateful Eight doesn't have an a-lister on the cast or slavery, WWII theme but it's still way more prestig-y than the Kill Bills and Death Proofs of Tarantino's past. It's a western with a big cast and the main conversation within the industry about it is the 70mm "they don't make them like they used to" thing that oscar voters will eat-up. Also Tarantino's status is bigger than ever now after Basterds and Django. If the movie doesn't dissapoint I can easily see it getting nominated across the board above smaller stuff like Room and Brooklyn. 

Samuel L Jackson? Channing Tatum? Kurt Russell (to an extent)? 

They 're all famous but not as the big Hollywood a-listers like Brad Pitt and Dicaprio. Tatum is not heavily featured into the marketing when DiCaprio was all over Django's trailers, so I guess his role will be very small. Kurt Russell is a star of decades past that attempts a comeback. Samuel Jackson doesn't count because he is in every movie ever made.

Does the Academy completely ignore The Force Awakens?  I don't see it getting a best picture nomination.  But they did nominate Avatar and Titanic(with the latter winning)  And if you look at the top adjusted films throughout each of those each of those received a best picture nomination and sometimes won.   I think it would have to have a lot (and a mean A LOT) break its way.  But it's something to consider.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2015, 10:16:11, CoolioD1 said:

I'd agree that it seems like either spotlight or the martian right now. unless joy is great (the revenant/h8ful don't see it no matter how good they are. can't see them give inarritu two in a row and hateful in general just seems way less... oscary than tarantino's last two which were probably about as awards baity as he'll ever get)

You think The Martian will win Picture? Or are you referring to Director?

17 hours ago, DAR said:

Does the Academy completely ignore The Force Awakens?  I don't see it getting a best picture nomination.  But they did nominate Avatar and Titanic(with the latter winning)  And if you look at the top adjusted films throughout each of those each of those received a best picture nomination and sometimes won.   I think it would have to have a lot (and a mean A LOT) break its way.  But it's something to consider.

I think being a sequel to a long running franchise that is on track to become a cinematic universe is what hurts it the most. That is the big difference with the other nominees that were out of academy's wheelhouse like Avatar and lotr. 

7 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Anomalisa anyone? Could maybe steal the spotlight away from Inside Out

100% Rt with 9.5/10 with 40 reviews

98 on Metacritic

Anomalisa won't have enough momentum to take down IO and the Academy is already under scrutiny for snubbing Lego.