Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

At 5:30 a.m PST., del Toro and Lee will announce the nominees in the following categories: Animated Feature Film, Cinematography, Costume Design, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Song, Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

At 5:38 a.m. PST., Krasinski and Boone Isaacs will take the stage to unveil the nominations for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Directing, Film Editing, Foreign Language Film, Original Score, Best Picture, Production Design, Visual Effects, Adapted Screenplay and Original Screenplay.

Visual Effects has been pushed to the main group in exchange for Cinematography.

24 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

you mean you're sorry you're not gonna obnoxiously spam the thread in the most dramatic "everyone look at me" fashion like last year? what a bummer.

Out of likes bro, but you're right :)

I'm also probably gonna bow out of the forums on Oscar night itself. I know I get a bit too into these things for the forums and last year I attempted (and kinda failed at it haha) to take a break afterwards. So yeah, I'll make some predicts here and there, be upset over Stallone not getting nominated (since that's really the only race I care about besides if IO got snubbed for Animated) tomorrow, and leave that there.

Then again, that's a probably. So you guys might be stuck with me still. Then again, I split my time with a different board during the Globes so probably again there

tl;dr - I'm narcissistic enough to believe you guys care about a dissertation on my viewing/posting habits during Oscar season

• Like 2

If 50 Shades gets nominated for song I know people will be going "how did a crappy movie get nominated for anything!" (it was like when Norbit got nominated for makeup, people seem to think that it was nominated for picture or something with the dumb comments they made)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Impact said:

If 50 Shades gets nominated for song I know people will be going "how did a crappy movie get nominated for anything!" (it was like when Norbit got nominated for makeup, people seem to think that it was nominated for picture or something with the dumb comments they made)

I just want Waiting for My Moment to get a nomination so I can watch my boy Gambino live at the Oscars. :P

Edited by Alpha

24 minutes ago, Impact said:

I get annoyed when I see comments about how a crappy movie got a nomination for say Make Up or Visual Effects or Sound.  Yes, it's a crappy movie, but even some crappy movies have some very well-done aspects about them.  You're sound noms are only nominating (or should only be nominating) based on sound quality, so if say, Transformers, has the best sound, it deserves the nomination.  Does that mean Transformers got an Oscar nomination and one of your other favorites, like Hunger Games, didn't?  Yes, and get over it.

Sorry for the rant, but I know those inevitable twitter comments are coming, because there's going to be at least one crappy movie that gets a nomination somewhere where it may have actually deserved it.

Starship Troopers and Death Becomes Her were both nominated for visuals, with Death Becomes Her winning even!

The film Restoration won art direction and costumes in 1995, it was a very little known film that apparently was panned but was praised big time for those 2 aspects.

Girl Interrupted was rotten and won supporting actress!

• Like 1

A film having poor or mixed reviews doesn't stop it from being a potential Oscar nominee, in any technical or non main categories. That's just how it works.

Bad films can still have good qualities about them.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

A film having poor or mixed reviews doesn't stop it from being a potentially Oscar nomination, in any technical or non main categories. That's just how it works.

Bad films can still have good qualities about them.

Exactly!

• Like 2

I'll stunned if the Academy gives Fifty Shades of Grey any kind of recognition lol. Like, they ain't touching it with a 10 foot pole even in the Song category. I'm reminded of the Burlesque song where it was written by multiple time nominee Diane Warren and was sung in the film by Oscar-winning actress Cher and even won the Golden Globe, and yet it missed the nomination with the most likely explanation being that they didn't want to nominate the movie the song was associated with. Expect a repeat of that here.

I actually really liked most of the nominations this year (I didn't think fury road was all that amazing but I digress).

Sure, could they have included inside out in BP nominees and also maybe carol (expand the number to 10)? Sure, but I won't call it a snub because neither inside out not carol would have won.

The only SNUB this year was Steve Carrel for Big Short. I would have thought it a 2-way race between him and dicaprio.

If there were 5 noms they would of been: Big Short, Mad Max, The Martian, Revenant and Spotlight. (Actually pretty easy to figure out that this year)

I was right about Compton btw! I added that at the last moment since so many were saying it was a lock.

33 minutes ago, Impact said:

If there were 5 noms they would of been: Big Short, Mad Max, The Martian, Revenant and Spotlight. (Actually pretty easy to figure out that this year)

If Martian was getting in a 5-slot BP they wouldn't have snubbed Scott.