LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Holy fuckballs, you're right. :blink: Totally spaced that it will be counted for last year. Though I don't think it can go as high as 340 with that big of an opening unless the WOM is out of this world. There has to be some level of typical blockbuster frontloaded-ness involved here with an OW like that.

I can think of nothing more fitting than for 2014, the worst year in 2 decades, getting topped by a film that literally makes 99% of its money in a different year.

• Like 15

A 300m mega blockbuster in January is going to make Hollywood completely re-evaluate the month. Expect major tentpoles to start releasing in Jan by January 2017.

How's that?

As long as it's content people want, anything can be released any time of the year.

You could release SW7 in September and still make a fuck tonne of money.

• Like 3

Holy fuckballs, you're right. :blink: Totally spaced that it will be counted for last year. Though I don't think it can go as high as 340 with that big of an opening unless the WOM is out of this world. There has to be some level of typical blockbuster frontloaded-ness involved here with an OW like that.

WOM does seem out of this world. Usually cinema scores are useless but A+ for movies have had exceptional legs which this does. 340M+ could happen. I had no plan to check it out but I'll see it sometime next week and I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. OW was shocking to say the least and 4+ multiplier wouldn't shock me either which would be enough to take the crown for 2014. Most shocking BO performance.  

• Like 2

Since movies typically have better legs in December its legs wouldn't be as good, but it would probably open just as high.

Most likely OW would be much bigger for SW in September. 180-200M could be achieved in September while December I would think would be around 130-140M. 

• Like 2

As long as it's content people want, anything can be released any time of the year.

You could release SW7 in September and still make a fuck tonne of money.

It depends on the film, American Sniper probably wouldn't have done as well released in the summer, the quieter months are perfect for these type of films since they don't have to compete with the tentpoles. I couldn't see a $100m+ budget film debut in this month unless it's a burn off. Sony has already made September their month for their animated films so perhaps WB or Paramount could have January as their month for their animated releases. DWA has Captain Underpants in January 2017 so it'll be interesting to see if that can do well.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

There is a difference between a patriot and a nationalist. Many of the self-proclaimed "patriots" aren't patriots, they are white supremacist nationalists.

I'm a patriot who wants the U.S. to be the best it can, and that means I want us to fix problems such as racial issues and our carbon footprint for example, not pretend they don't exist because I think Murica is too awesome to have any real problems (unless they're from Obama of course).

• Like 1