Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers SB: 56, AS 24.1, JA 19 pg 54

If the studios are smart, theyll take this nostalgia thing from 0 to 100 real quick. 80's-90's kids are nearing their 30's and 20's, and we crave our childhoods. TeenNick does "The 90s Are All That" block every night which is a success, and theres dozens of "I Heart the 90s"/"I Miss the 90's"/"Only 90s kids" etc on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. Wasn't there even a Saved By the Bell movie just on TV last year? And Jimmy Fallon did a Saved By The Bell skit last week. And theres talk of bringing Full House back, and Fresh Prince still airs on like 6 different channels, Toy Story 4 is happening. Turtles smashed expectations, and now Spongebob. I think even Netflix has a 90's section.

Nostalgia is clearly hot right now and I can see them, especially Paramount, picking every old 80's and 90's item they can find. Theyll eventually make that Captain Planet movie, just watch. Obviously I'd like more original content, but when something is hot, like the vampire fad, zombie fad, found footage fad, slave movies fad (ugh), etc. then you jump on it. Watch, theyll make a movie on dial-up internet. Just watch...

• Like 4

I (sadly) don't think Fairly Odd Parents has the same following SpongeBob has. Ou mention SpongeBob to people, they all know about him. Fairly Odd Parents is more "oh that's the show I used to watch!"

There were plans for a theatrically released FOP movie at one point, but it never got made. Given how much the show has jumped the shark at this point, I'm glad they aren't currently working on anyway. 

If the studios are smart, theyll take this nostalgia thing from 0 to 100 real quick. 80's-90's kids are nearing their 30's and 20's, and we crave our childhoods. TeenNick does "The 90s Are All That" block every night which is a success, and theres dozens of "I Heart the 90s"/"I Miss the 90's"/"Only 90s kids" etc on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. Wasn't there even a Saved By the Bell movie just on TV last year? And Jimmy Fallon did a Saved By The Bell skit last week. And theres talk of bringing Full House back, and Fresh Prince still airs on like 6 different channels, Toy Story 4 is happening. Turtles smashed expectations, and now Spongebob. I think even Netflix has a 90's section.

Nostalgia is clearly hot right now and I can see them, especially Paramount, picking every old 80's and 90's item they can find. Theyll eventually make that Captain Planet movie, just watch. Obviously I'd like more original content, but when something is hot, like the vampire fad, zombie fad, found footage fad, slave movies fad (ugh), etc. then you jump on it. Watch, theyll make a movie on dial-up internet. Just watch...

Hmm... yeah.

I wonder what will be the next nostalgia driven project to grace our screens.

• Like 3

A Spongebob movie just had a 15.1M OD in 2015. Let that sink in guys. 

A movie that costed 175M just had a 6.39M OD and a movie that costed 95M just had a 2.3M OD. Warner Bros and Legendary, let that sink in. 

I see my mah man Kanye Jandrew was right all along, he was truly feeling it in his veins.

tumblr_mzgwwfmhSw1shicu9o1_400.gif

• Like 1

Spongebob may end up being the biggest OW for an animated movie till Minions comes along. Pixar originals tend to do around 55M OW which is where I see Inside Out ending up on OW. Minions on the other hand, may hit 85M or more IMO.

I think Zootopia may move like you said. Makes sense after seeing 2 consecutive animated breakouts.

If SpongeBob 2 can get $50-55 million in February, Inside Out can get $65-70 million in June. Especially since it will be the first major kids movie since March 13 (Avengers 2 and Tomorrowland indirectly target little kids). "Home" will be lucky to get Nut Job numbers lol. Paul Blart 2 would be well-off with $65-75 million. 

Yea 200...rwally? Doubt it.

I'm not sure if it'll get that high either, but we'll see. Most was saying $25-35, and its doing $50M+. BH6 did $56M OW and made it to $218. Yes BH6 had holiday legs, but with no direct competition until Cinderella, Spongebob could have some staying power. We obviously can't base anything off 1 day, but we'll see, it'll be close. Even TMNT was about to leg it out to $191M.

• Like 1

That 50 Shades of Spongebob poster probably added at least 5-10m to the OW, I'm serious.

It went super viral, and showed people that it wasn't just another kiddie movie. That's why 50% of the audience was 18+.

Paramount is actually genius at marketing, they made The Last Airbender open to 17.5m OD on a Thursday too, by disusing the fact that the movie was shit. 

No, Paramount's actually SHIT at marketing (Interstellar, Selma etc.).

I'm not sure if it'll get that high either, but we'll see. Most was saying $25-35, and its doing $50M+. BH6 did $56M OW and made it to $218. Yes BH6 had holiday legs, but with no direct competition until Cinderella, Spongebob could have some staying power. We obviously can't base anything off 1 day, but we'll see, it'll be close. Even TMNT was about to leg it out to $191M.

I think Spongebob already had some fanbase incl. 20-30 years old guys.

• Like 1

Nostalgia resurgences happen every decade when a new generation comes of age. When I was in high school, we went through a time when everybody missed the 80s.

VH1's I Love the 80s was a huge hit because of it. Now we've moved on to the early 2000s, I guess, because I had moved on from Nickelodeon before SpongeBob was on the air.

Edited by Chaz

No, Paramount's actually SHIT at marketing (Interstellar, Selma etc.).

Transformers, TMNT, World War Z disagree with you.

Interstellar is a terrible example. There was literally nothing to market from that movie except cornfields.

• Like 1