Avatree

Bad performances in great films

I thought I'd start a thread about bad performances in otherwise great films. Just name rubbish performances in films that you like :) pretty simple.

The actors themselves could be good but were just bad in a specific film, or they might just be rubbish actors.

e.g.

Orlando Bloom in Lord of the Rings

Mark Hamill in Star Wars

Jack Black in Tropic Thunder

Keanu Reeves in Speed

Edited by tree jumped out a window
  • Like 1

Russell Crowe in almost every good film he's done.

Yep. I think his performance in A Beautiful Mind is great, but that's the exception to the rule. He's a really bland actor. I haven't seen Noah yet, so maybe it'll change.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 3

I thought I'd start a thread about bad performances in otherwise great films. Just name rubbish performances in films that you like :) pretty simple.

The actors themselves could be good but were just bad in a specific film, or they might just be rubbish actors.

e.g.

Mark Hamill in Star Wars

Keanu Reeves in Speed

I thought Orlando Bloom was perfect as legolas, sure he's not the best actor in the world but the role was fitting, kind of feel the Same about Mark in Star Wars, he may have not been an perfect actor, but I thought he fit the part of Luke well. and Keanu was great in Speed.

• Like 2

Natalie Portman in Thor. she probably gave the weakest performance in the whole film, which is weird cause she usually is a good actress. (well expect in Star Wars)

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

Maybe not a *bad* performance per se, but Jeremy Renner in The Avengers. I don't hate him or think he did a terrible job, but I keep having to remind myself he was in it.

Katie Holmes in Batman Begins. Just watched it again, and as with my last example, she's not BAD bad, but she's just..."there", especially compared to everyone else. I wish it had been Maggie Gyllenhaal from the start, say what you will about her but at least she could emote.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

Yep. I think his performance in A Beautiful Mind is great, but that's the exception to the rule. He's a really bland actor. I haven't seen Noah yet, so maybe it'll change.

Nearly all Aussie actors disappoint me. Few can emote.  Anna Torv, Sam Worthington, Heath Ledger (before TDK), Joel Edgerton (besides Exodus), Nicole Kidman, and Chris Hemsworth. BLAND BLAND BLAND.

However, Cate Blanchett is one of the finest actors alive today. Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe, I don't have much problem with. 

e.g.

Mark Hamill in Star Wars

Keanu Reeves in Speed

shakes_no.gif

• Like 4

Nearly all Aussie actors disappoint me. Few can emote.  Anna Torv, Sam Worthington, Heath Ledger (before TDK), Joel Edgerton (besides Exodus), Nicole Kidman, and Chris Hemsworth. BLAND BLAND BLAND.

However, Cate Blanchett is one of the finest actors alive today. Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe, I don't have much problem with. 

shakes_no.gif

• Like 3

What the fuck is this bullshit?

• Like 9

I wouldn't say Avatar was great, but it would've been better if Worthington was not lead.

Katie Holmes was disposable in Batman Begins, I agree with that sentiment. 

Jai Courtney in...well, alright, I guess this isn't bash lousy actors in all movies, so I'll stop here...Jai Courtney in Suicide Squad. I'm done, I'm done. 

To me it's not a great movie if it has a bad performance in it.

Really? A good film can't have a single bad performance? Acting isn't everything in a movie.

I agree about Katie Holmes in Batman Begins.

• Like 1

Paul Herman in Silver Linings Playbook. I understand we are to dislike his character, but I can't imagine we are to outright hate every scene he is present in.

Who the fuck is Paul Herman and why do we care about him?

• Like 2

Do you really consider

Tropic Thunder &  Speed

as great movies?

I very much love Speed 1 as an action movie, but I would never describe it as a great movie

It does have some great performances - including Reeve's IMHO - and other details, especially Bullock's energetic play in a sitting role I consider a rather difficult problem greatly solved/done, but in the sum not what I'd consider a 'really' great movie, but one of the most enjoyable movies with a high quality, but still not 'great', out of that decade).

Never saw Tropic Thunder (didn't even knew the title) and after taking a look into it I am pretty sure about to not ever will watch it, seems way too slapstic... for my taste and IMHO didn't look great to me either.

Might be a language thingy, maybe we define the term in different ways / with different meanings?