lilmac

What movies did critics get the most wrong?

Think about movies critics raved about but where there is consensus among regular movie-goers that it sucked.

Conversely

Think about movies which critics hated but there is consensus among regular movie-goers that it was actually quite good!

I got this thread idea after looking at RT scores and trying to find wide disconnects between Top Critics and all critics.

Gravity comes to mind

You have to read things before posting

Think about movies critics raved about but where there is consensus among regular movie-goers that it sucked

the consensus among movie-goers is that Gravity is absolutely amazing.  

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

I think this thread is pointless. There's no such thing as a film loved by critics and disliked by regular movie-goers.

Actually, Metacritic disagrees.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/movie-critics-vs-users

However, with that being said, I do think this thread is pointless. No offense to lilmac, but we've had a lot of threads about what critics got wrong. I'm sure they could've just been bumped.

• Like 2

Blade Runner was hated by a lot of critics then. Some said it was early for its time (advanced). Lots of audience loved different or all version of that movie - after a while it developed cult-status

Did you happen to mean examples like that?

Blade Runner was hated by a lot of critics then. Some said it was early for its time (advanced). Lots of audience loved different or all version of that movie - after a while it developed cult-status

Did you happen to mean examples like that?

Blader Runner was hated by critics back in 1982, yes, but it was also hated by casual moviegoers back then (it bombed at box office).

Cloud Atlas? Drive? Maybe a bit of Interstellar to fuel the fire?

Cloud Atlas (6.6 RT vs 7.5 IMDB) and DRIVE (8.3 RT vs 7.8 IMDB) have pretty close ratings among critics and regular moviegoers

A case could be made about Interstellar though.

Blader Runner was hated by critics back in 1982, yes, but it was also hated by casual moviegoers back then (it bombed at box office).

Depends probably on the country. In my circle of friends a lot of people watched it then.

It was on ~ #20 here, in 2014 the same position was The Lego Movie here. Not great, but no bomb neither. But I think I understand what you mean.

Blade Runner wasn't really HATED, but its theatrical run was pretty much a wash.

I do think it's more fun to talk about movies that neither critics nor general audiences liked during original release, but which gained acceptance later. Blade Runner is a good example.

Another big one that immediately sprang to mind, also from the summer of '82: John Carpenter's The Thing. Critics hated it, audiences avoided it, and the sci-fi fandom rejected it - at the time, the overwhelming consensus in the SF community was that it was a gratuitous gore-fest and that it paled in comparison to the 1951 film (go back and read the reviews in stuff like Starlog and Cinefantastique if you can find them). But then it went on to build up a following that grew and grew, and now it's a major cult classic.

Edited by TServo2049