K1stpierre

Weekend #s | 50SOG 81m, (RTH Sunday puts it at about 84M) Kings 35.6, AS 16m, JA 9.43m (official) | all #s on p1

So many of us way way over estimated it.  With the presales, it looked like it would go over 100 for sure.

Not a bad opening obviously, it's us that over estimated it.

• Like 1

A 30m FRI would give it around an 80m opening weekend, with the possibility of doing 91m over the 4 days, course this depends on how well it holds up on both Friday and Saturday. 

Edited by Greyarcher

20th Century Fox’s Kingsman: Secret Service in second with close to a $40M four-day and a Friday of $12.5 – $13M today.  The $8.6M generated by Fifty Shades from Thursday night previews and the $1.4M made by Kingsman will be rolled into each film’s Friday ticket sales.  

• Like 7

Keep in mind...theyre always too early. Last weekend they said Spongebob was doing $35M at 4pm. Yeah we saw how that turned out. I wouldnt tske anything concreter until RTH. Most of the Shades and Kingsman crowd isnt even off work yet here. Today could be surprisingly big across the board.

Edited by Jandrew Will C U Now
  • Like 1

Kee in mind...theyre always too early. Last weekend they said Apongebob was doing $25M. Yeah we saw how that turned out. I wouldnt tske anything concreter until RTH. Most of the Shades and Kingsman crowd isnt even off work yet here.

Agreed! 

• Like 1

Anything under $90M for the 4 days -- while still amazing for an R-rated $40M movie -- will be seen as a disappointment. That's just the way it is. 

Not by the industry it won't be.  Only disappointing because we at this site over hyped the potential opening.

• Like 1

Keep in mind...theyre always too early. Last weekend they said Spongebob was doing $35M at 4pm. Yeah we saw how that turned out. I wouldnt tske anything concreter until RTH. Most of the Shades and Kingsman crowd isnt even off work yet here. Today could be surprisingly big across the board.

I think the big underestimation for Spongebob is that analysts though the audience would skew much younger so didn't take into account it would have strong late nights.  That's not the case for either of these two films.

Edited by TalismanRing

I think the underestimation for Spongebob is that analysts though the audience would skew much younger so didn't take into account it would have strong late nights.  That's the case for either of these two films.

They were still $20M off, thats a bit much. Like I said, work isnt over here in on the east coast for another 30 minutes. Lets wait for RTH before we start with the "disaapointment, dissapointment."

• Like 2

It's not going to be a disappointment.  Just because 15-20 members of this site said it could do crazy numbers like 100 million, doesn't mean that 75 is a disappointment.

• Like 1

Not by the industry it won't be.  Only disappointing because we at this site over hyped the potential opening.

I'm still trying to figure out how potentially doubling your budget is disappointing?

• Like 2

I'm still trying to figure out how potentially doubling your budget is disappointing?

In a weekend.

And look at what it's doing internationally already.