baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

I'm mildly disturbed by the number of very recent movies on this list. :thinking:

That's because your definition of 'very recent' is different than all of ours. Vastly different.

• Like 2

That's because your definition of 'very recent' is different than all of ours. Vastly different.

I'm sure I'd love to grow up in the era that Tele did, the era when bashing people on the head with rocks was considered actual entertainment.

• Like 5

Movies that have been mentioned so far:

Passion of the Christ:  10 years old

Birdman:  2014

A Few Good Men:  23 years old

This is the End: 

The Contender:  15 years old

Love and Other Drugs:  5 years old

Rambo:  30 years old

The Sure Thing:  30 years old

Inception:  5 years old

Office Space:  16 years old

The Town:  5 years old

Ferris Bueller:  29 years old

Nightmare on Elm Street:  31 years old

Rocky Balboa:  9 years old

Malcolm X:  23 yrs old

Arlington Road:  16 yrs old

Jumpin Jack Flash:  30 years old

Heat:  20 years old

Fault in our Stars: 

There are three films on here from the last two  years.  They do make good movies in the recent past well, Tele.  The rest of the list mostly consists of older films.

You're showing your age friend.

Here's Tele's next door neighbour:

TriceratopsStyrassicPark.jpg

• Like 10

86) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Steven Spielberg

In his third film, Indiana Jones continues to hunt down artifacts and fight bad guys. This flick easily has as much action as the last outings, with plenty of fights and chases to entertain. The setpieces are quite ambitious as Indy outruns villains on a moving train, infiltrates a castle, and takes on a tank on horseback, among other brilliant sequences. And the comedy is probably the best in this film; the dialogue and interplay between characters are often quite witty.

The-Last-Crusade-Screencap-indiana-jones

The story for this is strong and ambitious as Indy goes out to find the holiest artifact of them all: the Holy Grail. The story is tightly-paced and well planned-out as mysteries unravel and turncoats are revealed as the adventure presses on. But what really propels this story to greatness are the characters; they receive their strongest treatment here as Indy struggles to reconcile things with his dad (not to mention, the opening flashback reveals a lot about their characters).

This the perfect way to end the trilogy, and they even ride off into the sunset.  The acting is great; Harrison Ford is still perfect as the main hero, Sean Connery is perfectly cast as Indy's father, Alison Doody is appealing, John Rhys-Davies is still the man, Julian Glover is decent as the villain, and River Phoenix was perfect in his role. It's essentially a perfect movie.

indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-1989-

Interesting stuff:  

Harrison Ford nominated River Phoenix to play him as a teenager. When describing how he prepared for playing the role, Phoenix explained that he didn't really base his portrayal on the Indiana Jones character, but on Harrison Ford. So he observed Ford out of character before acting his part.

Two thousand rats were bred for the production (they had to be bred specially as ordinary rats would have been riddled with disease).

When shooting in Venice, they were allowed to have complete control of the Grand Canal from 7am to 1pm for one day.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 17

85) The Evil Dead (1981)

Sam Raimi

This is what you get when you have passion and balls to make the film you want to make, without studio interference.  Straight up, this is a scary scary film. Now, I don't have proof of this, but imo, a lot of directors either don't care about the films they make or they don't care the way Sam Raimi cared about this film.  I believe the reason Sam cared so deeply for this is that it's how own work.  He conceived it, gave birth to it and nurtured it.  He had no pressure to make a great film and he did it on an incredibly low budget.Evil Dead was made for $50 000. With a budget like this, Raimi had to find innovative and inexpensive ways to do what he did.  Raimi, like Spielberg did in Jaws, used the camera to tell a lot of his story.  Many times the unseen force is just that, unseen.  The famous tree rape scene is one of the more innovative things I've seen in horror. One of the early scenes has the friends arriving at the cabin and using a very long shot and it is complimented by than menacing eerie music.  Right away, you're being told that you are in for a hell of a ride. There's evil in that cabin. 

evil-dead-feat-image.jpg

Sam Raimi made a masterpiece here that I believe stands the test of time. You can put this film up against any of today's so called horror films and I guarantee you this scares you more. Raimi cares about his movie and he does everything to make you feel the terror that the cabin people feel. We are scared and disgusted at what happens when one of the women goes outside alone at night and meets a tree that does unspeakable things. And when the book is first introduced.... that is horror movie history there. What a brilliant concept. 

The Evil Dead is a miracle. It was made on a rock bottom budget yet it is manages to terrify the audience.  I view Evil Dead as not just a movie, but an experience.  It left me a bit exhausted after watching it as you feel as though you have gone though this horrific night with the characters in the film. Raimi knows how to make a scary movie.  As good as his work is on the Spider-man films, he has never been better than he was on this one.  

Evil_Dead_slideshow1.jpg

Trivia:

During the scene where Ash is about to cut up his girlfriend with a chainsaw, Bruce Campbell actually had to use a real chainsaw and hold it up to the actress's chest. You can see on the close-up of Linda's neck (looking at the necklace) that her pulse is racing.

Filmed in a real life abandoned cabin

The film was shown to Stephen King, and it was his glowing endorsement (which was later used on the film's ads and posters) of the film which really sold it to the public. The film was bought by New Line Cinema soon after.

• Like 4

84) Extreme Prejudice (1987)

Walter Hill

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of you have not even heard of this film let alone seen it.  But it is directed by the great Walter Hill and produced by the same Carolco team that gave us Terminator 2, Rambo and Basic Instinct.  It's film from the 80's and it is definitely not a film that is made in today's film climate.  This is a film about loyalty, friendship, drugs, a woman and high tech all meshed together.  It's testosterone laden, a little sexist and filled with some of the most colourful characters who are given some terrific things to say in a script by the legendary John Milius.    

Nick Nolte gives, what I think, is the best performance of his career. He was great in Prince of Tides but he is amazing here. He plays an incredibly stoic Texas Ranger whose job is plain and simple. Keep the peace and keep the drugs out of Texas. It is the latter that gives him a bit of trouble as his best childhood friend, Cash Bailey, played with complete evil smugness by Powers Boothe, is now a major drug influence on the Mexican side of the border. But stoicism, honour and duty win over comrarderie and memories of years past. This is the first part of the story.

The second part involves the love interest of both men. Her name is Cerita ( Maria Conchita Alonso ) and both men have loved her for a long time. The issue here is, does Cerita have enough love to stay with Jack and his average life or does she want to sacrifice love and go for wealth and power with Cash?

The third part of the film is the best part and it is the story that involves a covert military team of supposedly dead war heroes. Every one of the team, when put into the computer, shows up as dead. One died while difusing a bomb, the other in a helicopter crash and so on. This supporting cast is one of the great casting jobs and as another reviewer said, one of the best ensembles put together, including Reservoir Dogs. Clancy Brown plays Larry McRose, Michael Ironside plays Major Paul Hackett and William Forsythe plays Buck Atwater. Forsythe has the best performance in the film and this is a film that is rich with great performances. 

This covert team is apparently in Texas to get some documents that are in Cash Bailey's possession. But what they are really there for, no one knows, and that includes all of the team except for Hackett. So somehow, all three stories and all of the individuals are going to cross paths until you have the final gunfight. Now I am not an expert at gunfights nor have I seen every film out there that has great gunfights, but this has to be up there as one of the best. It goes on for about fifteen minutes and there are some really great shots of people dying and blood spraying and such.

Extreme Prejudice is a tour de force in direction and it is a great script. All of the actors give some of the best performances of their career and if you can give this film a chance ( it seems kind of slow at first ) you will be rewarded.

400px-EP-ColtCommander-3.jpg

Nick Nolte in 2015 looks like he ate himself in the 80's.  He has blown up to look like a round punching bag.  But in 1987, he looked tall, tanned, lean and mean.  As I already mentioned, this is one of if not his best performance.

A true hidden treasure. And with lines like " Hey as long as I got a face, you got a place to sit", and " Jack Benteen, Texas Ranger, big son of bitch ain't he?" and my favourite, " Strange.

What is?

Ordering the termination of an American civilian peace officer, clearly loyal to the country and in the process of bringing a known criminal to justice. 

But we're going to do our job, right Sgt? 

Right MAJOR."

And then this beauty:  "Shit Jack, the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester."  

Trivia:  Nolte lost 50 pounds for the role

Music was composed by Jerry Goldsmith

Tiny Lister has a small role as one of Cash's henchmen

ep2.jpg

• Like 4