Green Lantern

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Green Lantern

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Back in 2009, when Watchmen bombed, WB gave a statement saying that they would follow another route with their next superhero project, Green Lantern, making it more "friendly". All of this because of Watchmen unsucess. 
But the executives seemed to have forgotted that Fantastic Four made 300m in average while TDK made 1B.

That said, Green Lantern was the only superhero that I found interesting enough to read the comics and I was excited about the movie, the trailers were good....we all know what happened  :unsure: childish script, actors misdirected, bland soundtrack, bad and confuse action, continuity errors...

Grade: 4/10 or C-

Edited by GoffeSteel

The theatrical version is a C+ worthy film.The extended cut is a B worthy film. The characters are a little more fleshed out.

You know they only show the theatrical cut on tv and while I don't recognize it as being good, it's still a C+ for me, if it's on I'll leave it on while doing someone else

This is just god-awful, a total train wreck. I rarely regret watching a movie in theater, but I regret seeing this and The Last Airbender deeply. I actually laugh for a while after the movie has ended because it was just so bad, beyond even my lowest expectations  :lol:

D

Edited by Sam
  • Like 2

First of all, I love superhero movies (MoS is my most anticipated film of 2013), and I have no preference for DC or Marvel, so I'm not biased. 

Second of all, this was a horrible film that should be forgotten and the series should be rebooted. I like the Green Lantern character, and Ryan Reynolds was definitely the right actor, but unfortunately he was given a terrible script, and that destroys every positive argument for this film. Stunning visuals couldn't save this. Most of the acting was pretty bad too, and the villain was just boring.

2/10 

Green Lantern is an interesting example of how studio meddling ruins a movie. Multiple rewrites, a rushed production, and too many cooks in the kitchen are a just a few things that happened to this film, which is based off my all time comic book franchise.

We could have had a great Green Lantern movie. The comics are rich in mythology, what we got instead was underwhelming to say the least.

One of the film’s biggest problems is in the inconsistency in the Hal Jordan character in the film. He’s supposed to reckless, yet his decisions (quitting the Corps because he doesn’t believe in himself), remind me more of Kyle Rayner than anything else. Ryan Reynolds is fine in the role, but he’s let down by a cheesy and clumsy script.

Characters and plot elements are also inconsistent. So many plot elements are dropped (like Hal and his nephew Howard), and aren’t needed in the long run, that it’s just makes this movie more of a mess than it already is.

The CGI in this film is very snotty. When it’s on OA it’s quite fine, but because OA is barely used in this movie, that’s not enough to make up for the other CGI which is just poor. Apparently the studio behind the CGI in this film, was rushed by WB to meet deadlines and it shows.

But probably my biggest gripe with this film is Parallax as fear dust (or diarrhea as most jokingly refer to him as)? What a joke. The concept art was much different from the final product, resembling his bug form from the comics. Alas that was not to be. Also the fact that entity of fear was destroyed, is so many plots holes in of itself.  

Mark Strong is a highlight in this film as Sinestro. Menacing yet charming, but he’s barely in the film enough to make me care. Also Sinestro putting on the yellow ring at the end didn’t make any sense within the context of the plot.

The scene where Carol knows that Hal is Green Lantern is quite good, but it’s only one in so many good scenes in this movie which itself is a mess. Blake Lively herself is not very good as Carol Ferris, and doesn't come off as someone who would be capable enough to run a company.

Peter Sarsgaard performance as Hector Hammond was also very good. I actually sorta felt for his rejection of his father. He was another highlight in an otherwise dreary film.

This is a movie that definitely gets worse on rewatch. The first time I saw it, I liked it (probably because of my biasm towards the source material), but when I saw it again, I didn't like it as much, coming off as being noisy and inconsistent.

Warner Brothers really dropped the ball with this film. What makes this movie a big disappointment is that it could have been the start of an actual DC franchise (and we would have Flash and Wonder Woman movies). It could have been DC’s Iron Man, but instead it was just a crushing disappointment, and now WB sees Green Lantern as poison.

4 / 10

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

How the hell does this get an A vote? Holy crap, this movie was an epic fail. This is "The Daredevil" of our generation. God this was awful. Just, everyone was bad. No other way to describe it. Probably one of the worst movies I've seen in awhile and perhaps on the all time list. 1/10, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

How the hell does this get an A vote? Holy crap, this movie was an epic fail. This is "The Daredevil" of our generation. God this was awful. Just, everyone was bad. No other way to describe it. Probably one of the worst movies I've seen in awhile and perhaps on the all time list. 1/10, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

thats an insult to daredevil