Green Lantern

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Green Lantern

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

As bad as people say it isThe CGI was terrible, but they couldn't decide if they wanted CGI'd or Makeup'd characters, which led to a very weird mixThe storyline wasn't easy to digest either, WAY too much Sci-Fi and not enough plot, it was like the script revolved around introducing characters and not the story, very little back story, and the most interesting part was the relationship between Reynold and livelyDidn't like it, a shame, because I really liked the comics

I'm quite surprised that the guy who made Bond awesome again also managed to make everything wrong with Green Lantern. I have to admit that the film showed promise, but it's execution for the most part was terrible.

Problem 1: Hal Jordan isn't a compelling character. He acts like a jerk through the most of it so it's kinda difficult for me to sympathize with him. Okay, Tony Stark was a jerk too, but at the same time he had a charm that Ryan Reynolds portrayal surprisingly lacks here.

Problem 2: Hector isn't a threatening villain, in fact he's hilarious. What the hell is Saarsgard thinking when he's doing and saying all those stuff in such a ridiculous way. His giant tumor for a forehead doesn't make things easier either. Besides, the note about his and Hal's relationship is spontaneously brought up in the middle of the film, and they never really interact with one another besides violent encounters later on.

Problem 3: Parallax isn't a threatening villain. How can I take a giant floating type 6 stool seriously?

Problem 4: Blake Lively. Hot lady, boring character.

Problem 5: The visuals are obnoxious. Not only doesn't Hal's mask look right (why couldn't they just put a real mask on Ryan Reynolds instead of wasting time and money with unconvincing CGI?), his entire costume looks awkward at times. The helicopter crash looks fake as shit, not to mention that Parallax looks like shit. When Hal and Carol are sitting on the rooftop it looks more like a set with a CG background than an actual location. This flick has a bigger budget than several other CGI-heavy action movies this year (including Transformers!) yet it doesn't look a third as good. Where did all that money go?

Problem 6: Oa is only shown for a little while, which is unfortunate since the Oa scenes are the better ones in the film. Neither Kilowog nor Tomar-Re get's that much screentime and most of Sinestro's job throughout the movie is mocking Hal, failing at stopping Parallax (which begs the question as to how one Lantern can defeat Parallax later when a whole group couldn't at first, made worse by the fact that Hal actually failed his Oa training and we rarely see him practice later on earth) and talking about Parallax coming to Oa, which never happens since I guess Parallax needed an Earth snack first. The earth scenes are for the most part mediocre or just unintentionally hilarious (on Hector's part) so it makes you wish Hal stayed on Oa instead.

2/5

Edited by C00k13

This is on HBO right now and it's so bad, it's causing me physical pain. I feel sick to my stomach. What a piece of shit, Reynolds is terrible, this dialogue is so awful, the effects and action cheesy as hell.... Wow!"I know you're afraid because you're even afraid to say you're afraid! I know this because I've felt this before! I'm afraid!" :lol:

• Like 1

Had potential and it wasn't a terrible movie, but it ultimately never really went anywhere. Ryan Reynolds has enough charisma and screen presence to pull off a likable superhero role, but the script here gives him too little to do and is so busy trying to cover three separate storylines (Hal's growth into a Green Lantern, the villain's daddy issues, and the storyline back on the Green Lantern planet) that it never gives any of them the nuance they deserve.

C

One of those movies where I'll look back and say "Why the fuck did I feel the need to watch this in the cinema on it's opening day?" 

Awful, just awful. The only bit I liked was when Peter Sarsgaard was reading Tim Robbins mind and at that exact moment Tim Robbins is thinking "God, Peter Sarsgaard is such a creepy dork" or whatever. Also when Peter Sarsgaard is teaching and throws a kid across the room and is all like "errr.... class dismissed!"