baumer

The Godfather

49 members have voted

1. 1. Review The Godfather

a very humanistic portrayal of the mafia, showing their family life equal with their criminal activity. it features a fine storyline of a son gradually becoming more and more like his father as he becomes head of the family business, with a particularly great performance by brando. all of this with great music, great photography. however, i don't think it's unique or perfect enough to be labelled a masterpiece. none of the elements stand out as truly special.

Truly a classic. All those iconic scenes and memorable quotes. Great music, direction, acting performances.

Part II is a better film overall, but The Godfather has the charm and the specialness to it that makes me love the orginal more. 

All the A+

• Like 1

Quite honestly it's hard to even know how to start reviewing a film like this.This is very much a showcase of classy filmmaking, but it's so much more than that. This is one of those films in which everything is simply masterful. Not one single aspect really stands out because everything is simply damn good. No words can truly do justice to transcendent material such as this, but I will do my best to convey the stand-out aspects for me.Perhaps what struck me first and foremost was the way in which the film was shot. The way the shadows mingle with the light here is simply fantastic. The camera work allows the darkness of the Mafia to mix simultaneously the elegance. It makes for a hypnotizing mix. Nothing less than brilliant filmmaking on display here.There is a rare mix of larger than life characters combined with larger than life acting here. In fact, I'm not quite sure this combo has ever been displayed such as it is here. The acting is so damn good that for me, these aren't merely characters in a film. These are in fact real people in real world situations. There cannot be a greater compliment in film than what I just described.When you break down the film fully, this is basically the ultimate origin film for Michael. And dear god, what a journey it is. One of my favorite scenes in the film is when Michael and the cook try to look like Mafia guards at the hospital to intimidate others from attacking Don. You see afterward that the cook is visibly shaken from the events. Michael thereafter in a very cool and calm fashion lights the cook's cigarette for him. This is the very definition of epic as it has so much impact afterward. I love how small events such as these change lives for others.Simply put........no words can truly do justice. One of those films in which the title is more than enough to convey the power and greatness associated.

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 5

Quite honestly it's hard to even know how to start reviewing a film like this.This is very much a showcase of classy filmmaking, but it's so much more than that. This is one of those films in which everything is simply masterful. Not one single aspect really stands out because everything is simply damn good. No words can truly do justice to transcendent material such as this, but I will do my best to convey the stand-out aspects for me.Perhaps what struck me first and foremost was the way in which the film was shot. The way the shadows mingle with the light here is simply fantastic. The camera work allows the darkness of the Mafia to mix simultaneously the elegance. It makes for a hypnotizing mix. Nothing less than brilliant filmmaking on display here.There is a rare mix of larger than life characters combined with larger than life acting here. In fact, I'm not quite sure this combo has ever been displayed such as it is here. The acting is so damn good that for me, these aren't merely characters in a film. These are in fact real people in real world situations. There cannot be a greater compliment in film than what I just described.When you break down the film fully, this is basically the ultimate origin film for Michael. And dear god, what a journey it is. One of my favorite scenes in the film is when Michael and the cook try to look like Mafia guards at the hospital to intimidate others from attacking Don. You see afterward that the cook is visibly shaken from the events. Michael thereafter in a very cool and calm fashion lights the cook's cigarette for him. This is the very definition of epic as it has so much impact afterward. I love how small events such as these change lives for others.Simply put........no words can truly do justice. One of those films in which the title is more than enough to convey the power and greatness associated.

Agree with everything you've said. I really love the way Enzo was played in the movie, showing how nervous he was in that situation and Michael being the cool head. It also plays into your comment about real people in real situations. From the book we know Enzo is grateful to the don for keeping him in america and with the woman he loves but in the movie we dont need a deep backstory, we just know he respects the don and is prepared to risk his life to help him, further enforcing the influence the don has over all kinds of people, even bakers!

If I said I loved or hated it, I would be lying, I need to rewatch this before giving my final opinion. What I can say is that the first and second act were much better than the third act, the cinematography was out of this world good and horse head scene was brilliantly constructed.  

Edited by Goffe

I can't say I hated or loved it, I can't even say that I thought it was average, I would be lying, I need to rewatch this before giving my verdict. What I can say is that the first and second act were much better than third act, cinematography was out of this world good and dat horse head scene. Frankly, there was nothing to dislike about it.

This is pretty funny because I had the same exact reaction when I first watched it, but for the exact opposite reason. To me, the second half of the film was far better than the first half of the film. Then, I saw it again a few years later, and realized that I was wrong. Both the first half and second half combine to make a great picture. 

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007

BTW, am I the only one who thought Pacino did a better job than Brando in this film. I mean, they both were perfect, so it's splitting hairs, but it's possible that Pacino's performance in this film is the best I've ever seen in cinema. 

No, you're not the only one. I think it's criminal that Pacino never got an Oscar for portraying Michael Corleone, either in Part 1 or Part 2. One of the greatest acting performances in history. In the first film, the change in his character from beginning to end is amazing to see. Such a nice innocent guy at the beginning and such a coldhearted criminal mastermind by the end of it.

• Like 4

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 at 5:19 PM, redfirebird2008 said:

No, you're not the only one. I think it's criminal that Pacino never got an Oscar for portraying Michael Corleone, either in Part 1 or Part 2. One of the greatest acting performances in history. In the first film, the change in his character from beginning to end is amazing to see. Such a nice innocent guy at the beginning and such a coldhearted criminal mastermind by the end of it.

No doubt. One of biggest snubs ever in Academy award's history. I thiught his portrayal as Michael Corleone was just perfect and he should have won the Oscar for Godfather 2. His transformation is so terrifying. Academy screwed up big time.