51 members have voted

1. 1. Review Pulp Fiction

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This filmed completely changed what I thought I knew about movies. I was like that's it? that's the plot? its just a bunch of fantastic and well written scenes woven together so nicely. It was completely different than what I was expecting. That being said....

A

• Like 1

Tarantino is like the Master of writing/directing totally random conversations that just make so much sense. And he always bring out the best of acting from his actors/actresses. Smart, wickedly funny, engaging, expertly paced, well-directed and incredibly well-acted. I could go on but that doesn't seem necessary.A+Hmm, actually didn't know that there are some who don't like Bruce Willis in this. I though he was great.

• Like 1

entertaining with quick-witted dialogue. certainly it's miles better than that piece of trash known as reservoir dogs. but for all its charm it doesn't strike me as particularly interesting or wildly stylistic. also, if this represents the pinnacle of tarantino's career, i just don't think that he's my man. also also, i wonder if taking a massive fucking gun and shooting the balls off a gay rapist represents some sort of right-wing male fantasy.

Just saw it first time, and it's definitely a movie I know will increase quality with rewatch. As it stands, I wasn't that big a fan of the first half of the movie, but once it gets into Willis and then back to the beginning of the movie, it's truly awesome. A

entertaining with quick-witted dialogue. certainly it's miles better than that piece of trash known as reservoir dogs. but for all its charm it doesn't strike me as particularly interesting or wildly stylistic. also, if this represents the pinnacle of tarantino's career, i just don't think that he's my man. also also, i wonder if taking a massive fucking gun and shooting the balls off a gay rapist represents some sort of right-wing male fantasy. 65

To the last part, no. Marcelleus Wallace was a gangster, you fuck with him and a pair of pipe hittin ****** with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch were coming
  • Like 2

One of my buddies once told me, before I watched Pulp Fiction, that if for some reason I didn't like Pulp Fiction then I wasn't a movie lover. Ill echo that sentiment.

• Like 1

One of my buddies once told me, before I watched Pulp Fiction, that if for some reason I didn't like Pulp Fiction then I wasn't a movie lover.Ill echo that sentiment.

That's an over-statement, and has been said on many films: if you dont like XXX, then you are not a movie lover.

It sounds like sth a fanboy would say. A true movie lover is someone who can accept different opinions and wont call you with a condescending attitude just because you have a different taste.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

• Community Manager

What to say about this movie?

So I saw Reservoir Dogs and I loved it. I thought it was fantastic and a really good debut picture from Tarantino. I thought Inglorious Basterds was nothing special but it was entertaining. The two Kill Bill movies were fun, violent pics with some occasional depth. Pulp Fiction can be like that as well only instead of having a single driving narrative, it's more disjointed into different little plots that are interwoven together throughout the film.

The movie has some great cinematography and it's wisely not as violent as Kill Bill or Inglorious Basterds were and yet, I didn't fall in love with the movie. It might be because I didn't connect with anyone but Jules. In fact, I like Jules so much that I want someone to create a TV series following his life as a bum. He really does bring this movie to a life in a way that the other characters fail to do so. Other than that, there really wasn't much there to grab my personal attention. John Travolta and the rest of the cast did a good job but nonetheless they blended in.

I think a part of the problem is that I saw Kill Bill first. Indeed, both Pulp Fiction and this movie have it's similarities: they begin with a title card that explains the movie's purpose, they have similar credits, and their style is similar even if Pulp is less violent. And yet, whereas Kill Bill's revenge story was compelling from beginning to end, Pulp Fiction never really had anything that grabbed me until the final "story" beginning with Vincent and Jules not getting hit by a single bullet.

Of course, one must ask if Quentin Tarantino can really be considered a cinematic genius when he really makes the same thing over and over again. Oh, sure the plots and characters might technically be different but the style, the kind of film....of the films I've seen, only Reservoir Dogs is different enough to stand out among the pack as something different.

Overall, Pulp Fiction is a fun movie to watch but I simply didn't fall in love with it. I couldn't for most of what was there: Vincent taking the boss' wife was okay and the OD scene had some tension but it wasn't anything I'd watch again. The whole gold watch story was perplexing: it was serviceable up until they get captured by the two gay rapists who of course practice BDSM. I wouldn't say it was offensive or that I need positive portrayals of homosexuality but it didn't feel organic but that it was there for some kind of shock value. It never added anything to the movie.

B