kayumanggi

MONDAY NUMBERS 03.16.2015

Not really, just that people use this movie to downgrade Maleficent's quality. First of all, Maleficent was a very good movie and it looked 10x times more interesting that this. Second - it had great great WOM (the multi proves it) and people keep saying Cinderella will have better (which it won't). So every little disappointment is a win for me. The numbers OS for it alone made my Sunday evening brighter. :lol: Also, these numbers have another plus side: it shuts the Frozen fans about the "huge" impact of that short.

You need a hobby.

• Like 1

Wait... people here are arguing Maleficent was better than Cinderella?

Huh.

I don't think so. I don't think very many people here have seen it.  But feel free to make it a thing. :lol:

Edited by Ecstasy
  • Like 1

Nope, Maleficent was shit, and unlike you, I actually saw both Cinderella and Maleficent and realize that Cinderella is a much better film in every level, so much better that if I truly wanted to, I could write you a five-page essay on how Cinderella works better in every single possible way. 

That said, I agree with you on WOM. Maleficent had a much more family friendly appeal than Cinderella does in its Shakespearean drama, along with summer weekdays being a major help. Although the point on Frozen you're making is pretty BS; it's fairly obvious to me that the Frozen short was never going to effect WOM, just the OW.

C'mon Blanks, let's be real here. Tell me one single reason Cinderella is better. As a fairytale itself iT's worse than Sleeping Beauty. I doubt any of those actors could match Jolie's performance; it lacks any real conflict and it's basically one drama about a chick being unhappy with her life and then bang, a rich guy falls for her (which, considering how average Lily James looks, I don't get)  :lol:.

Also, that is BS about the Frozen short. Are you suggesting Frozen is such a fronloaded franchise that all fans will go see it on OW? :lol:  

Also, it's funny how you people now change sides and say Maleficent was the one with the family appeal since before the OW all I could read was "Cinderella will be the perfect family movie blah blah blah". No, people liked Maleficent more because it was better.

Edited by James

James I am not shocked you are backing the worse movie, Maleficent. It was a D & Cinderella was an A.

The directing, overall acting, production design, and basically everything else about it was better than Maleficent. The only good thing about Maleficent was Jolie and she couldn't even save that movie from being a turd.

• Like 3

James I am not shocked you are backing the worse movie, Maleficent. It was a D & Cinderella was an A.

The directing, overall acting, production design, and basically everything else about it was better than Maleficent. The only good thing about Maleficent was Jolie and she couldn't even save that movie from being a turd.

giphy.gif

:rofl: Yeah, I really see audiences agreeing with you. 

Alright let's dissect this:

C'mon Blanks, let's be real here. Tell me one single reason Cinderella is better. As a fairytale itself iT's worse than Sleeping Beauty.

I actually agree. Cinderella is a worse fairy tale than Sleeping Beauty. Yet, Branagh's Cinderella massively improves on the animated classic (which I've never been a big fan of), while Maleficent takes a big dump on Sleeping Beauty's legacy.

I doubt any of those actors could match Jolie's performance;

Well, it's great to judge before watching a movie, I must agree. Of course, I'm not a big fan of Jolie's performance in Maleficent; it's mere imitation of an animated classic villain with barely any of the bite that makes her classic. Lily James and Cate Blanchett add depths to their characters (which is part of the script, yeah, but they show it wonderfully). James' performance makes Cinderella not be the annoying whiny girl she has been other films; actually, she comes off as an incredibly lovely but surprisingly independent character. Blanchett manages to be both sympathetic and despicable in her role, along with the glorious ham she offers. Richard Madden isn't a slouch too, and if you want mere imitation, I'd argue Helena Bonham Carter can give you that in Cinderella.

So yeah, there's four actors who top Jolie's performance.

it lacks any real conflict

Not even gonna touch this one. There's loads of conflict but again, you haven't seen the movie.

and it's basically one drama about a chick being unhappy with her life and then bang, a rich guy falls for her

Lucky for you, this is one thing Branagh changes in the film. If it was just about a "chick being unhappy," the film would've ended much sooner and it wouldn't be a happy ending. Same if it was just a "rich guy falling for her." Over-simplifying any movie plot makes it sound like shit.

(which, considering how average Lily James looks, I don't get)  :lol:.

...I'm glad I don't have your taste in women... Moving on.

Also, that is BS about the Frozen short. Are you suggesting Frozen is such a fronloaded franchise that all fans will go see it on OW? :lol:  

It has nothing to do with Frozen being a frontloaded franchise. The fact is no time in history has the presence of a short changed WOM. I doubt it would've changed OW really if Disney hadn't pushed it as hard as it did. I don't see any reason why the Frozen short should have anything to do with word-of-mouth.

Also, it's funny how you people now change sides and say Maleficent was the one with the family appeal since before the OW all I could read was "Cinderella will be the perfect family movie blah blah blah". No, people liked Maleficent more because it was better.

No, maybe, just maybe, people change their minds on movies once we see them. We can't all be like James and see the trailer and go "Well, that's an A definitely from the trailer alone." My first post in the weekend thread was that Cinderella was more mature than I expected in a good way, but that would cause more-negative-than-I-expected-but-still-good WOM, since it's not really a kid's movie.

I spent way too much time writing this.
  • Like 5

Alright let's dissect this:

I actually agree. Cinderella is a worse fairy tale than Sleeping Beauty. Yet, Branagh's Cinderella massively improves on the animated classic (which I've never been a big fan of), while Maleficent takes a big dump on Sleeping Beauty's legacy.

Well, it's great to judge before watching a movie, I must agree. Of course, I'm not a big fan of Jolie's performance in Maleficent; it's mere imitation of an animated classic villain with barely any of the bite that makes her classic. Lily James and Cate Blanchett add depths to their characters (which is part of the script, yeah, but they show it wonderfully). James' performance makes Cinderella not be the annoying whiny girl she has been other films; actually, she comes off as an incredibly lovely but surprisingly independent character. Blanchett manages to be both sympathetic and despicable in her role, along with the glorious ham she offers. Richard Madden isn't a slouch too, and if you want mere imitation, I'd argue Helena Bonham Carter can give you that in Cinderella.

So yeah, there's four actors who top Jolie's performance.

Not even gonna touch this one. There's loads of conflict but again, you haven't seen the movie.

Lucky for you, this is one thing Branagh changes in the film. If it was just about a "chick being unhappy," the film would've ended much sooner and it wouldn't be a happy ending. Same if it was just a "rich guy falling for her." Over-simplifying any movie plot makes it sound like shit.

...I'm glad I don't have your taste in women... Moving on.

It has nothing to do with Frozen being a frontloaded franchise. The fact is no time in history has the presence of a short changed WOM. I doubt it would've changed OW really if Disney hadn't pushed it as hard as it did. I don't see any reason why the Frozen short should have anything to do with word-of-mouth.

No, maybe, just maybe, people change their minds on movies once we see them. We can't all be like James and see the trailer and go "Well, that's an A definitely from the trailer alone." My first post in the weekend thread was that Cinderella was more mature than I expected in a good way, but that would cause more-negative-than-I-expected-but-still-good WOM, since it's not really a kid's movie.

I spent way too much time writing this.

Ok, you convinced me to watch Cinderella... when it comes out on torrents.

• Like 1

i cant judge on Cindy's quality as i haven't seen it, but im sure its pretty decent as Cate (the 2nd Great) is in it.

But to dismiss Mal as a piece of shit garbage like its a general accepted fact is clearly wrong also. Based on the legs alone, its obvious that people enjoyed it.(myself included)

As this is predominately a numbers board, i see nothing wrong with 'stanning' for a movie's numbers over another.

• Like 2

i cant judge on Cindy's quality as i haven't seen it, but im sure its pretty decent as Cate (the 2nd Great) is in it.

But to dismiss Mal as a piece of shit garbage like its a general accepted fact is clearly wrong also. Based on the legs alone, its obvious that people enjoyed it.(myself included)

As this is predominately a numbers board, i see nothing wrong with 'stanning' for a movie's numbers over another.

But the domestic numbers are not that far apart. I'm sure overseas tell a different story. But so far here in the states not that big of a difference.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but Cinderella is far far better than Maleficent.

Maleficent' script is a complete mess.

And I find much better performance Lily, Richard, Cate, Helena than Angelina, Elle....

Cinderella doesn't need a huge box office ala Frozen to be a success or to be what it is, a great movie.

• Like 3

C'mon Blanks, let's be real here. Tell me one single reason Cinderella is better. As a fairytale itself iT's worse than Sleeping Beauty. I doubt any of those actors could match Jolie's performance; it lacks any real conflict and it's basically one drama about a chick being unhappy with her life and then bang, a rich guy falls for her (which, considering how average Lily James looks, I don't get)  :lol:.

What even is this. This whole paragraph :rofl:

• Like 4