26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Chinatown

How can a film be this perfect? Everything in it comes together so well, the plot, the characters, the music, the cinematography, everything. And the story is so convoluted. That it not only makes sense but is fulfilling and gets better every successive time is a testament to the perfect-ness of it. And that ending.A

And absolute classic and has become one of my favorites since seeing only for the second time a couple months back (I had seen it before in my teens but never really followed it closely enough). Jack Nicholson is brilliant and Faye Dunaway is stunningly tragic in her role.

"Forget it Jake. It's Chinatown."

*****/*****, (A+, 10/10, 4/4)

In my top two along with Kind Hearts and Coronets.

It's my #2 after Pulp Fiction. Occassionally I feel the temptation to move it to #1, but the frankly silly ranking thing notwithstanding, it's really just a magnificent piece of filmmaking.

I would have said the same thing after my first viewing. If there's a clear example of a film that truly benefits from repeated viewings, it's Chinatown. I don't think I had realized the full brilliance of the script until I watched it for the third time.