Olive

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: Home 54m , GH 34.6m, Insurgent 22.1m, Cind 17.5m (official)

You guys aren't seriously going to judge anyone on the success or lack thereof of Serena, are you?  I've had that on DVD since Christmas.  It was released into 58 theaters with no marketing.  There is no chance that this was going to make buck this weekend.

• Like 6

Serena bombing can't be a surprise. As Narnia said, there's a reason why it sat in movie purgatory for so many years.

For some reason, JLaw strikes me as another Julia Roberts where she's great in everything but period pieces, where she just feels out of place.

• Like 1

You guys aren't seriously going to judge anyone on the success or lack thereof of Serena, are you?  I've had that on DVD since Christmas.  It was released into 58 theaters with no marketing.  There is no chance that this was going to make buck this weekend.

Agreed. It's been available for a while now, that releasing in theaters this weekend seemed kinda pointless.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

I know JLaw is royalty here but imo, she is still massively unproven.  Every hit she has had was based on a massively popular material or it had Bradley Cooper in it, which as we all found out with American Sniper, the man is a draw.  She is not the Julia Roberts of the 2010's, in fact, it can be said that right now, she is just a very lucky actress who got some great roles with some great co-stars.  And we really won't know this year either if she is a draw or not as all she has coming out is another Hunger Games and another film co-starring Cooper and directed by Russell.  She's smart for picking the roles she does, but a draw?  The jury is out on that.

• Like 7

I know JLaw is royalty here but imo, she is still massively unproven.  Every hit she has had was based on a massively popular material or it had Bradley Cooper in it, which as we all found out with American Sniper, the man is a draw.  She is not the Julia Roberts of the 2010's, in fact, it can be said that right now, she is just a very lucky actress who got some great roles with some great co-stars.  And we really won't know this year either if she is a draw or not as all she has coming out is another Hunger Games and another film co-starring Cooper and directed by Russell.  She's smart for picking the roles she does, but a draw?  The jury is out on that.

this.

• Like 2

Serena also has Bradley Cooper. Just saying. You know draw power doesn't exist nowadays. Nobody is 100% a draw.

• Like 3

Serena also has Bradley Cooper. Just saying. You know draw power doesn't exist nowadays. Nobody is 100% a draw.

But I'm not including Serena.  A movie can have all the greatest actors in the world but if it has no marketing and no one knows its coming out and its been on video and VOD for months, it's not going to make money.  Serena never had a chance.  

Sure, no one is 100% draw 100% of the time, but I'd like to see Jlaw in a film on her own, or without Cooper, and see how it does.  

No. Completely disagree. AS was popular because of the story and the real life person....it had very little to do with Bradely Cooper at all

• Like 1

What film do you mean?

Home.

No. Completely disagree. AS was popular because of the story and the real life person....it had very little to do with Bradely Cooper at all

Still, I think Cooper's involvement probably added an extra 20m.