CJohn

Furious 7 Weekend Numbers: Revised Official Estimate - 146.5M (Sunday underestimated) | Official OS Estimate - 240.4M

Bay is very rich, about the same net worth as Cameron. 700m or so ...but his TF deal will propel him to one B.

Also, his smarphone has telephone numbers of dozens of Victoria s secret models.

Michael Bay.

Winning.

• Like 2

He should have won BP for Transformers, but the Oscars are run by a bunch of pissy old men.

lol look I like TF, but to say that in the year with There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men is crazy talk.

Also, $45m would be an awesome Sat for F7!

• Like 2

He already tried, 14 years ago. We know how that turned out.

I'm sure his Benghazi movie will be just as corny and over the top.  Funny how both of his failed attempts at an Oscar will be movies about shocking attacks on American personnel which actually deserve good movies.

Edited by Ozymandias

So if anyone has ever seen Diary of a Wimpy Kid...

I was at this like drop in open gym (the ones with the foam pits etc.) with my sister an out friends, with their little brother, and two of the boys there are Manny from Diary of a Wimpy Kid! (The little brother) And we were like playing around with them, throwing the foam pit stuff for about an hour it was pre cool they were like following us around the whole time.

After I was like to my friend "lol we just hung out with movie stars... or supporting characters."

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

His talent is there.  He tells a story better than most, imo and he does things with the camera that others are jealous about.  He can make an Oscar type film, but he isn't quite in that mode.  He's got the respect of most of his peers and some directors with some pretty big clout (I don't need to name them, but for the hell of it.....SS, JC and CN).  He just needs to find the right Oscar bait and he'll get one.

He has zero story sense.

But consider this: look at how long it took Spielberg, and how much he matured as a director before it happened. And Spielberg was a hell of a lot more respected and revered by his peers at the same point in his career as Bay is now.

It has nothing to do with the right sort of story. It has everything to do with moving past his instinct of 100% maximum "impact" no matter the situation or context. PAIN AND GAIN was the tiniest of steps in the right direction -- I hope he keeps going.

• Like 4

He has zero story sense.

But consider this: look at how long it took Spielberg, and how much he matured as a director before it happened. And Spielberg was a hell of a lot more respected and revered by his peers at the same point in his career as Bay is now.

It has nothing to do with the right sort of story. It has everything to do with moving past his instinct of 100% maximum "impact" no matter the situation or context. PAIN AND GAIN was the tiniest of steps in the right direction -- I hope he keeps going.

I disagree with you 100%.  First of all, to Spielberg.  How exactly did he take a long time to mature as a director?  Schindler's List is not better than JAWs or Raiders or ET, which are three of the best films ever made.  So he didn't take long to mature at all, his films were way ahead of their time.

As for Bay, there is this stigma out there that fun films are not good films.  Armageddon and Transformers are two films that are told beautifully because of Bay.  Sure the scripts help but they do for every film.  Bay, like some of the other brilliant directors out there, has his own style that cannot be imitated properly.  Pain and Gain is a good movie, but it is not nearly as good as Armageddon and Bad Boys and Transformers.

• Like 2

We're specifically talking about the Oscars, which means you have to taking on a story that's got a bit more heft that just "fun" (there are exceptions, but that's rare). IMO, Bay doesn't yet demonstrate the sort of nuance to be able to deal with that sort of thing. When I said Spielberg had matured, I didn't necessarily mean that SCHINDLERS is better than JAWS or RAIDERS, but his craft and ability was not only pin-point, not only appropriate for the material, but also incredibly restrained (moreso than his other dramatic efforts).

It might help, for example, if his characters progressed into fully realized non-caricatures. Even the most entertaining people in his movies are painted with a really broad brush.

• Like 6

We're specifically talking about the Oscars, which means you have to taking on a story that's got a bit more heft that just "fun" (there are exceptions, but that's rare). IMO, Bay doesn't yet demonstrate the sort of nuance to be able to deal with that sort of thing. When I said Spielberg had matured, I didn't necessarily mean that SCHINDLERS is better than JAWS or RAIDERS, but his craft and ability was not only pin-point, not only appropriate for the material, but also incredibly restrained (moreso than his other dramatic efforts).

It might help, for example, if his characters progressed into fully realized non-caricatures. Even the most entertaining people in his movies are painted with a really broad brush.

Ok, yes, that makes more sense.  I understand what you mean.  If every character was more like Chip's son telling his mother that the salesman is on TV, then he will win an Oscar.  But my response to that is when Peter Jackson made Dead Alive, would anyone have thought that he would win an oscar?  When Clint Eastwood directed Heartbreak Ridge, did you ever think he would win an oscar?  Point is, all it takes is one good piece and anyone with a vision can win one.  

• Like 1

You're going to tell me that Sam Witwicky is not a great character... Come on.

• Like 1

Just imagine the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan if Bay had directed it. That is the difference between him and a talented filmmaker like Spielberg.

It would have been very good because Bay is incredibly talented.