Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

That range right between 200 and the record is funny.

I wonder what Disney will estimate if it looks like it's going to come in around 205m or so. Do they announce that it's at 208 or something so they can claim new record? But then if the actuals come in lower, it looks bad, right? So do they actually go ahead and fudge it to get the record? (I'm not aware of Disney doing any fudging in the past, but who knows.)

Similarly, if it seems to be coming in at the high 190s do they announce a 200m estimate? Do they fudge it to get up there?

Eh. They could've fudged TWS to 260

Edited by Eddy Targaryen

mcu os is very interesting tbh

• im: 267
  • tih: 129
  • im2: 312
  • thor: 268
  • ca: 194
  • ta: 895
  • im3: 806
  • thor2: 438
  • ca2: 455
  • gotg: 441
  • aou: 1.1b?

sad that outside team-ups only iron man makes big bucks when he's the lamest of the team

• Like 1

TA increased from low 70s to 81 dude..

From the original early estimates. But those actuals are now being used to predict TA2.

As of right now, it's probably grossed somewhere in the 20s, and they're expecting a big push (like TA) to get other 40m through the till. (Numbers being pulled out of my ass, but along the lines of what Spizzer posted much earlier today).

When they're using TA as one of the trackers, posting the range of numbers they did means that it's essentially tracking along the same path as TA did... around the same level of matinee performance. So the numbers are expecting a huge jump in the evenings/west coast. For TA2 to overperform would mean an additional jump above and beyond what TA did. It's possible -- TA2 has more shows and theaters are more prepared for the demand -- but it isn't guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 6

I think it will cruise past 210 so it won't even be an issue, but hell yes they are bound to fudge the thing if it gets within a few mill of the record. Paramount has set a trend here lately with two Transformers fudge jobs on opening weekend. Disney has every right to do the same if necessary.

of course. they will. om sure tw fudged a bit for hp 7od also lol. whats crazy is disney has 2 films with 1.4 + b ww potential with sw7. having 2b potential. and tomm land which could do 500-800m or morh more at the bo

of course. they will. om sure tw fudged a bit for hp 7od also lol. whats crazy is disney has 2 films with 1.4 + b ww potential with sw7. having 2b potential. and tomm land which could do 500-800m or morh more at the bo

I'm thinking the second highest grossing film this month will be San Andreas, huge potential there as Dwayne is very popular plus we haven't had a big budget disaster flick since 2012.

Speaking of San Andreas, what do we think of the legs for Avengers 2 and if it will be hurt by competition? Schedule looks nice for Avengers 2 if you ask me.

DH2's OD wasn't fudged. 

I'm thinking the second highest grossing film this month will be San Andreas, huge potential there as Dwayne is very popular plus we haven't had a big budget disaster flick since 2012.

Speaking of San Andreas, what do we think of the legs for Avengers 2 and if it will be hurt by competition? Schedule looks nice for Avengers 2 if you ask me.

san andreas will break out to 150

well san andreas, jpw, tommland. a few leg killers are out there. legs will be way off and yay titans dom and ww stats are safe capt jack.

100M 2nd weekend! Avengers should take over #1 for the year by next Saturday!

I said a few times that I wish to experience what you guys did during TA weekend back in '12 with AoU this time.

Yeah, I take that all back.

• Like 5

However when on the eve of a movie opening weekend record has a studio done a gutsy call such as 200+??

Like to me its confidence? 

If memory serves, Marvel/Disyney was low-balling the whole time 3 years ago and it was other studios that was raising expectations with higher in-house estimates. I think Marvel/Disney ended up underestimating the weekend by over 7M (200.3M est -> 207.4M actual).

The fact that they're saying it outright now, possibly means Marvel/Disney have it pegged higher internally...

Edited by jse
  • Like 2