Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

I'm really curious as to how the legs will be. Obviously it's not getting a 3x, but WOM is strong enough to where a 2.5-2.6 multi would make sense to me.

Pessimistic I guess it ends up around $450 million (IM3/TDW multi) and high end around $520 million (TWS multi)

Yep, around 480M final for Ultron, more or less.

I don't see how you could view it as anything other than a big issue. It makes TA2 something other than a direct sequel to TA1. So all sequel comparisons go out the window.

While, I agree with you in that even sans the big sporting event Saturday it likely falls just short Avengers Assemble, it still opens to $200M+ without said sporting event. Such being, it's hard to say it had that much of an impact.

I remember as a kid when those matches seemed to deliver... I mean, hell, an ear was bitten off in one of 'em. This one, well, a collective shrug from most.

I wouldn't recommend ear-biting for the average person, but Tyson delivered the entertainment goods with that one. Gotta give him credit. May-Pac was a couple of dudes dancing in the ring to collect their enormous check. Big old swindle and too many people fell for it.

I wouldn't recommend ear-biting for the average person, but Tyson delivered the entertainment goods with that one. Gotta give him credit. May-Pac was a couple of dudes dancing in the ring to collect their enormous check. Big old swindle and too many people fell for it.

Funny to me as I was sitting with a fellow movie/box office geek... When they announced the MayPac was the OW Saturday of Ultron, we both sighed and I said, "I hope this past it's expiration date fight doesn't hit the Avengers too hard at the box office." As it drew closer and closer, most here knew that it would. If only it happened the last weekend of April instead. Haha.

A swindle indeed. Should've happened nearly a decade ago.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

How about the poor saps that shelled out $10,000 a night for a room in Vegas to see this??? I bet they got blasted after the fight just to make it worth their time and money lost on that crap...

Well at least it was in Vegas where plenty of debauchery can be done to make up for a shitty boxing match experience.

• Like 2

Really, the Rematch should be FREE on HBO or SHOWTIME.. No one is going to give 2 fucks about the rematch and shell out more $$$ on this Bullshit.. Now where were we?? Oh, I'm probably gonna catch a rush hour show and see AOU again this afternoon.. Rush Hour Prices before 4PM is like $6.50.. Evening prices are $11.00 and $15.50 for IMAX 3D..

There won't be a rematch (luckily).

• Like 1

I was one of the first people to eat crow on Saturday morning. I readily admit my prediction was totally wrong. What I won't admit is that anyone was crazy for looking at the history of sequels and thinking there was a chance of a new record. Nobody was crazy for that. We were wrong. The unpredictability of box office is what makes it interesting.

I think history has just proven it was crazy to predict a record OW.   Because it didn't happen.   The fact that most people predicted it makes it even more crazy.   We are talking about people who are supposed to be good at looking at every factor on box office and most people missed several key factors.   In hindsight...it was a crazy prediction.

The novelty factor was ignored for TA and the experts were wrong because of that.    So instead of using that knowledge, the experts ignored it AGAIN.   And shouldn't box office experts be able to factor in the glut of sporting events?   All of that was known going into the weekend.   All predictions for breaking the record were based on mistakes by the predictors.   That sounds like the basis for a crazy prediction to me!   ;)

Your comparison is not quite accurate, though. SM1 and B89 had direct sequels with no related movies in between. That's obviously not the case with Ago of Ultron. Since TA1, Marvel fans have had several movies to go see. This is a completely different model, nothing like it has been attempted before. So you can't say there was any evidence that Ultron should have opened bigger than TA1. Such proof doesn't exist.

Agreed.   The Avengers model isn't like other franchises.    That's why predictions based on other franchises have thus far failed 100% of the time.

I think history has just proven it was crazy to predict a record OW.   Because it didn't happen.   The fact that most people predicted it makes it even more crazy.   We are talking about people who are supposed to be good at looking at every factor on box office and most people missed several key factors.   In hindsight...it was a crazy prediction.

The novelty factor was ignored for TA and the experts were wrong because of that.    So instead of using that knowledge, the experts ignored it AGAIN.   And shouldn't box office experts be able to factor in the glut of sporting events?   All of that was known going into the weekend.   All predictions for breaking the record were based on mistakes by the predictors.   That sounds like the basis for a crazy prediction to me!   ;)

Agreed.   The Avengers model isn't like other franchises.    That's why predictions based on other franchises have thus far failed 100% of the time.

The problem is, the fight wasn't even finalized until a few weeks ago.  Yes, there were rumbling rumors for months, but nothing was for sure, and most people don't automatically backtrack their numbers for something nobody really knows for sure how much effect it would have.

The high predicts were also based on hopefully insanely good WOM, like the first one had.

Without the fight (plus Kentucky Derby, plus Spurs/Clips Game 7), plus better WOM, it's not a crazy prediction to believe it would break the record at all.