Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

AoU making less money means the value of the Iron Man character just shot up in value.

RDJ can probably afford to make a real life working Iron Man suit by the time he finishes playing Tony Stark! :wub:

It amazes me how you guys never learn. It WAS unrealistic to think this would surpass the first on OW. Typically franchises (we'll call the Avengers its own franchise for argument's sake) don't hit their ceiling with the first movie, but The Avengers did. 

Where were you weeks ago?

I don't get why some people get mad that others find the opening to be disappointing

I'd rather be getting positive vibes for a movie that is likely to be one of the biggest films this year. Yeah, it's not going to be the phenomenon Avengers was, but there's still a shitload of people going to see it and that ought to be enough.

Edited by tribefan695

It's a R-rated tentpole with a mid-level budget. $125 million DOM is fine for this kind of niche sci-fi actioner. 

Somewhere I read it was PG-13. Yeah, nevermind. And you're right, 125 mil would be good for it, but that's still competition. 

The first Avenger was underestimated by a lot and there was a big event last night. This number could increase when actuals come out tomorrow. So, that's that as well.

• Like 1

Everyone needs to stop acting like it's doomsday.

If the Mayweather fight, Game 7 of the Spurs/Clippers and the NFL Draft really had that much of an impact, wouldn't that just mean a great hold next weekend? Maybe sub-50%? Extremely far-fetched but possible, especially since Hot Pursuit is really nothing. I expect $15-20 million for that. 

I'd rather be getting positive vibes for a movie that is likely to be one of the biggest films this year. Yeah, it's not going to be the phenomenon Avengers was, but there's still a shitload of people going to see it and that ought to be enough.

But different movies rightfully have different expectations

It amazes me how you guys never learn. It WAS unrealistic to think this would surpass the first on OW. Typically franchises (we'll call the Avengers its own franchise for argument's sake) don't hit their ceiling with the first movie, but The Avengers did.

This post is nonsense. You say "typically franchises don't peak with the first film", so how does that make it unrealistic to predict that Avengers won't peak with the first movie either?
  • Like 1

This place isn't my life like some of you. 

I'll probably come back for Star Wars and be active again for opening weekend.

I come from time to time.

Only increased 0.5% on Saturday from the non-preview Friday number. All of the sport events must have had a pretty big impact, but it also seems the movie is just a lot more frontloaded for the weekend than any Marvel movie we've come across. Crazy to see.

Well, sure, but the trailer is good enough to get people into theaters. Happens all the time.

Yes the trailers (all what 6 of them?) is pretty dang good, but itll still take more than that. We're talking about an R-rated movie about crazies wearing skulls and bones driving through the desert. Good WOM doesnt mean auto breakout either. EOT was super well received and still struggled to pass 100 even after a nice opening. The GA can be unpredictable. Mad Max could make $125, but it could also make $80 or below. Nothing is set in stone yet.