Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

I'm only telling you this because I want you all to know that even if AoU tops DH2, it'll be because of an extra five hours. 

It's like giving the fat kid a medal because he finished a race. 

Potter wouldn't have broken the OW record without 3D...

Kinda like how DH2 only set the weekend record because of ticket price inflation, huh? By the way, be happy DH2 held on to the preview record. I'm glad that hasn't been broken by one of these 7 PM Thursday movies.

In admissions, sure. But BOM only accounts for dollars. That's why there's an inflation and adjusted chart. 

I don't care if AoU beat DH2 because of revolutionary 5D prices, so as long as it did it in 24 hours. But 29 hours is ridiculous. Anyway. It doesn't matter. Unless AoU does over $103m, then we all know who the TRUE opening day winner is. 

Because midnights were an advertised event back then, while previews are just...there nowadays.

Midnights were part of a movies hype.

I don't think it's coincidence, that 7 of 10 all time previews are midnights only and the best proof for my theory is the fact, that Breaking Dawn 2 couldn't top Breaking Dawn 1, even though it had earlier shows and the final factor.

actually in my experience midnights were never advertised because it was still the same date like "coming friday" means that midnights start on friday too, while these days i often see tv spots where it goes "coming friday, special preview screenings starting thursday at 7pm" in that really fast announcer voice lmao

In admissions, sure. But BOM only accounts for dollars. That's why there's an inflation and adjusted chart. 

I don't care if AoU beat DH2 because of revolutionary 5D prices, so as long as it did it in 24 hours. But 29 hours is ridiculous. Anyway. It doesn't matter. Unless AoU does over $103m, then we all know who the TRUE opening day winner is. 

why are you so worried aou is doing like 85m friday lol

Potter wouldn't have broken the OW record without 3D...

100% correct. No one's disputing this. It would have broken the OD record but not the OW record. DH2 had insane matinee sales, so that's a plus for admissions. 

But it was in 3D. The difference is that they didn't grant DH2 an extra 5 hours and then lump it onto Friday.

Edited by Noctis

actually in my experience midnights were never advertised because it was still the same date like "coming friday" means that midnights start on friday too, while these days i often see tv spots where it goes "coming friday, special preview screenings starting thursday at 7pm" in that really fast announcer voice lmao

I don't know. Midnights were a really big thing back then. News reports were dedicated to them, you had people camping in front of the theaters and stuff.

It's just like all that has completely gone.

It's not only the media, it's this forums, too.

Excitement levels were different when midnights were on 3 or 4 years ago. But maybe it's just my imagination.

• Like 1

Without trying to be pedantic, Thursday midnight is actually Friday technically. Thurday evening is Thursday.

It stinks imo whether its common practice now or not.

Yeah, it sucks. You reach a totally different group of people with the 7 PM shows. I never went to a midnight show, but I've already gone to Thursday preview shows for Godzilla, Nightcrawler, and Avengers 2.

• Like 1

I don't know. Midnights were a really big thing back then. News reports were dedicated to them, you had people camping in front of the theaters and stuff.

It's just like all that has completely gone.

It's not only the media, it's this forums, too.

Excitement levels were different when midnights were on 3 or 4 years ago. But maybe it's just my imagination.

You're right. Midnight showings were amazing, and it's disappointing that the studios have stopped releasing their films at midnight.

Guys, come on. Let's be realistic. There is no way it's gonna do less than $90m with an extra 5 hours of showings when its predecessor did $80m in 24 hours. 

(secretly thinking:

tumblr_mfcuokQJ8s1r3d8abo1_r2_500.gif)

• Like 2