antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think that Feb is a dumping ground anymore. Smart studios avoid competition by taking less crowded months. This movie should benefit from it as it may have been lost in the shuffle otherwise. Especially if it's a tougher sell. Supposedly it's more a horror than sci fi (based on comments on the Internet) but Paramount is doing a bit of a bait and switch to get wider audience the opening day. 

To be fair, Ex Machina was more tense than a lot of other horror movies I've seen in recent memory and Portman walking through the field and firing the gun brought on shades of Alien: Covenant. I don't think this could be considered bait and switch marketing if this is more horror because I already see the elements there (and it's clear something is going wrong by the end).

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Looks like another Southland Tales / Elysium, but since it's adapted from a novel instead of being an original concept, it won't.

I'm not sure I understand those comparisons... do you mean visually? It's very different from those movies. 

16 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

To be fair, Ex Machina was more tense than a lot of other horror movies I've seen in recent memory and Portman walking through the field and firing the gun brought on shades of Alien: Covenant. I don't think this could be considered bait and switch marketing if this is more horror because I already see the elements there (and it's clear something is going wrong by the end).

There are some great freak-out moments here, to be sure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

There are some great freak-out moments here, to be sure. 

Yeah I've been intrigued all year. I had both this and IT in my most anticipated films of 2017 when no one else really did. IT had no marketing at that point beyond the EW pictures but I always thought there was a chance for that to be something special.

This though? All I needed to hear was the director, cast and summary. I was bummed when it was moved to February. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Especially when August was a dead zone this year towards the end of the month. I'm guessing it wasn't finished or they did some last minute rewrites.

It was basically finished when I saw it, as far as I could tell. I think the question was more whether they wanted to release it during awards season or after... there wasn't time to mount a campaign for an August release. 

• Like 1