antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

2 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

I feel bad for international audiences. Seeing this movie on the big screen here in the states, was just amazing. It deserves better than being seen on a laptop.

Oh god, I sound like Christopher Nolan.....

It was great to see on the huge screen, the visual style and aesthetic really came to life. A real shame for those outside of NA, who can only watch it on Netflix. It deserved to get a full overseas run. Darn it, Paramount. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It was great to see on the huge screen, the visual style and aesthetic really came to life. A real shame for those outside of NA, who can only watch it on Netflix. It deserved to get a full overseas run. Darn it, Paramount. 

Those last 20 minutes man....I'm not one for hyperbole, but dammit, not watching those last 20 minutes on the huge screen is a crime.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

Those last 20 minutes man....I'm not one for hyperbole, but dammit, not watching those last 20 minutes on the huge screen is a crime.

I was nearly spooked out of my mind watching the last act. It was so intense, and good!

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel sad for everyone whose first experience watching this was on a laptop or tablet and not in a movie theater.

Most of Netflix content is watched on big HD TV, few watch it on computer and almost none on a tablet, specially after the first month (were people are excited to try it on their cellphone but rapidly stop doing it), 70% of Netflix content is watched on TV:

netflix-stats-2-recode.jpg

For movies it must be close to 100% on the TV.

Who watch their Netflix movie on a computer or tablet ? (outside when they travel)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Who watch their Netflix movie on a computer or tablet ? (outside when they travel)

I do when I'm too lazy to fire up my Wii U and use the app. 

Definitely agree that it's not as good as a TV, but it'll do in a pinch.

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I do when I'm too lazy to fire up my Wii U and use the app. 

Definitely agree that it's not as good as a TV, but it'll do in a pinch.

That will apply for the series and what not, but someone excited to watch Annihilation ? Will pretty much always be on the tv (if they prefer watching on the tv obviously not the case for everyone)

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Most of Netflix content is watched on big HD TV, few watch it on computer and almost none on a tablet, specially after the first month (were people are excited to try it on their cellphone but rapidly stop doing it), 70% of Netflix content is watched on TV:

netflix-stats-2-recode.jpg

For movies it must be close to 100% on the TV.

I watched Stranger Things 2 on my laptop. I live in an apartment and don't want to risk disturbing anyone else at night. 

Also my TV's not really conducive to long-term viewing at this point. I only have a couple chairs and my bed as a seating arrangement. Hoping to move again next summer so I really don't want to spring for a couch yet.

4 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I can't blame Paramount for the deal.  With a $40m budget selling it to Netflix is probably what made them a profit instead of taking a big loss.

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I can't blame Paramount for the deal.  With a $40m budget selling it to Netflix is probably what made them a profit instead of taking a big loss.

NO!! It is insane.

This is an intelligent movie. If it - unbelievably - made money in America, it would have made FIVE TIMES more money WW.

Fuck you, Paramount, I hope you fail/fall even deeper.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

This is an intelligent movie. If it - unbelievably - made money in America, it would have made FIVE TIMES more money WW.

Surely distribution matter here, but it is not that automatic that selling it or trying to distribute it worldwide mean it would have played 20/80, very few movies does that (That fate of the furious level, even Tree of Life didn't play 20/80 but a more sensible 25/75)

Some recent example:

Under the Skin (2014)

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $2,614,251    48.6%
Foreign:  $2,766,000    51.4%

Worldwide:  $5,380,251  

Ex Machina

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $25,442,958    69.0%
Foreign:  $11,426,456    31.0%

Worldwide:  $36,869,414

Her

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $25,568,251    54.0%
Foreign:  $21,783,000    46.0%

Worldwide:  $47,351,251

District 9

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $115,646,235    54.9%
Foreign:  $95,173,376    45.1%

Worldwide:  $210,819,611  

And I know you do not like him but:

Arrival

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic:  $100,546,139    49.4%
Foreign:  $102,842,047    50.6%

Worldwide:  $203,388,186  

Lot of called intelligent by many Sci-fi still do close to 50-50 type of dbo/intl breakdown, Inception did 35/65, Interstellar did 28/72, A.I did 33/66.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yeah well atleast i can watch this whilst eating a pizza. I can also pause when i need to take a piss