kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES | 05.08.15 - 05.10.15

Nobody really has an axe to grind, just that they're two comic book movies with a shitload of hype that are going to have very similar domestic totals. If anybody had an axe to grind, it'd be me, but I don't. Frankly, I expected both AoU and TDKR to have higher domestic totals than they're going to get and yet here we are. It's interesting and worth noting.

+1

I agree. I did expect about $520 to 530 M for AOU. It looks like it will fall short. But how does it matter? (BTW, I'm not talking about you, since you seem to be reasonable).

One thing different about MCU films  is that the progression is unique and hard to be compared against anything prior to this.

TDK 533

TDKR 448

TA 623

IM3 409

Thor2 206

CA2 259

GOTG  333

TA2 ----

slightly under 60% drop. Not bad considering huge previews. But the problem is it faces significant headwind next weekend.

If it was 210 million and 60% drop it be okay, but not now. 

+1

I agree. I did expect about $520 to 530 M for AOU. It looks like it will fall short. But how does it matter? (BTW, I'm not talking about you, since you seem to be reasonable).

One thing different about MCU films  is that the progression is unique and hard to be compared against anything prior to this.

TDK 533

TDKR 448

TA 623

IM3 409

Thor2 206

CA2 259

GOTG  333

TA2 ----

I do wonder if the MCU films are basically emboldening the fans and getting them to go out but capping the ceiling for the big films. So strong retention of fans, but pushing away casual audiences. For Avengers 2, I wonder how many casual audiences were potentially turned off by A)The number of films since 2012 and B ) Not being able to follow what's going on considering there's been 4 films in between.

Since we've never really had a franchise like this, it might be able to explain a bit of why we're seeing a heftier drop than we would with most sequels to giant films.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

Looks like biggest upset since TA and TDKR is shaping up.

Fast 7 looks to outgross AOU WW. 

I feel FF7 deserved it more than AOU. It was just as well made as AOU and the tribute to Paul Walker was excellent.

I do wonder if the MCU films are basically emboldening the fans and getting them to go out but capping the ceiling for the big films. So strong retention of fans, but pushing away casual audiences. For Avengers 2, I wonder how many casual audiences were potentially turned off by A)The number of films since 2012 and B ) Not being able to follow what's going on considering there's been 4 films in between.

Since we've never really had a franchise like this, it might be able to explain a bit of why we're seeing a heftier drop than we would with most sequels to giant films.

I agree completely. 

My daughter and I follow all things related to MCU, at least as far as the movies go. My wife is a casual fan who could not tell Thanos from Thermos She liked AOU but loved FF7 and it shows in FF7's performance WW.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 1