Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

So basically PP2 pulled off an Austin Powers 2, Terminator 2 or The Dark Knight type increase. Sequel to a well liked movie which didn't earn a lot in theaters but found a new lease of life on home video just exploded on OW.

AP2 is the only valid comparison, as it's the only other one to *open* bigger than what its predecessor made in *total*

T2 likely would have done it with a Friday release, and MM:FR had 3D and 3 decades of inflation.

Wonder how much of AOU's weekend gross this week came from IMAX screens. IMAX becomes a larger share in later weekends anyway, it had a roughly 10% share on OW, might increase a bit to 15% or more by now.

I bet you after AOU, San Andreas will be most watch film over the long term in May.

Disaster movies have such wide appeal after theaters.

But nobody is seeing Hot Pursuit

• Like 1

Well since im a man of integrity, Ill come out and say congrats to those that called PP2 doing big things (although no one called 70). I really didnt think it was possible for PP to go from 14 to 50+ in todays BO climate. I was seeing around 45-50 so I was way off.

While its not my type of movie, its good to see it doing big things. Really hoping Universal wins the year, theyre balling out. Congrats Panda, Raphael Potter, and whoever else called PP2 doing big things.

Great number for MM as well. WOM watch will veryyyyy interesting.

Edited by LeFlop James
  • Like 2

O_o holy shit, 95.5% drop!?! That's insane lol

It lost theaters like crazy. A wide release has to do disastrously bad on OW in order for theaters to be allowed to break the traditional 2 week contract and dump it early.

Poltergeist is gonna bomb next week. Depending on PP2's hold, Tomorrowland might not be number 1.

I'd be surprised if it did less than 20M 3-day. I'm on my phone right now and can't see your 4-week long term predictions, what are you predicting for Poltergeist?

Well since Im a man lf integrity, I come and say congrats to those that called PP2 doing big things (although no one called 70). I really didnt think it was possible for PP to go from 14 to 50+ in todays BO climate. I was seeing around 45-50 so I was way off.

While its not my type of movie, its good to see it doing big things. Really hoping Universal wins the year, theyre balli out. Congrats Panda, Raphael Potter, and whoever else called PP2 doing big things.

I called $67 for PP2.

It lost theaters like crazy. A wide release has to do disastrously bad on OW in order for theaters to be allowed to break the traditional 2 week contract and dump it early.

What movie had a 95% drop! :o

Well since im a man of integrity, Ill come out and say congrats to those that called PP2 doing big things (although no one called 70). I really didnt think it was possible for PP to go from 14 to 50+ in todays BO climate. I was seeing around 45-50 so I was way off.

While its not my type of movie, its good to see it doing big things. Really hoping Universal wins the year, theyre balling out. Congrats Panda, Raphael Potter, and whoever else called PP2 doing big things.

Thanks! :D

Nah they can't break those 2 week contracts just based on gross. Smaller distributors like IFC don't always use the traditional 2 week contracts, which allows for some hilarious drops when they overreach on theater count

I didn't even realize Pitch Perfect was a Uni release. Man these guys are having a great year.

They should be #1 in 2015 DOM market share trough today.

The truly insane thing is their next 3 releases alone are Jurassic World, Ted 2 and the Minions.

Nah they can't break those 2 week contracts just based on gross. Smaller distributors like IFC don't always use the traditional 2 week contracts, which allows for some hilarious drops when they overreach on theater count

Oh okay lol.