The Stingray

The Witch | February 19, 2016 | The new indie horror darling

3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

it being like IF really don't makes me excited :ph34r: 

Let me clarify. I just meant it's like It Follows in that they're both artful and not the usual jump-scare sort of horror film that average moviegoers enjoy. 

Otherwise they're completely different 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Wow what a comical steaming pile of shit this movie was.   Boring, not scary, and laugh out loud ending.

I was somewhat disappointed. There's great atmosphere and I think the cast did a very good job, but it didn't come together for me.

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Are there very long periods of silence in The Witch where characters say nothing? I can see audiences getting restless pretty quickly.

No, there's plenty of talking. The problem for the GA is that it's archaic 17th century English. Almost all of which is perfectly understandable, but it's easy to see most folks not being into it from the start.

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Are there very long periods of silence in The Witch where characters say nothing? I can see audiences getting restless pretty quickly.

Will this movie put me to sleep?

There are long stretches of nothing happening / talking.  The pacing is reeeally slow. The characters are boring when they're not annoying, half way in I was rooting for everyone to die.  The Old English was annoying.  The Witch is barely in the movie.  When stuff actually starts happening the movie abruptly ends in a way that drew laughter and boos at my theater.

I'm honestly baffled at the good reviews.  But hey, this is my opinion.

• Like 1

There has always been a huge disconnect between critics and audiences when it comes to horror.  A prime example is Babadook.  Critics creamed themselves over that one and audiences didn't seem to give a shit about it.  I'll see this one, but I'm already worried that it is going to be something that doesn't resonate with me.

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

There has always been a huge disconnect between critics and audiences when it comes to horror.  A prime example is Babadook.  Critics creamed themselves over that one and audiences didn't seem to give a shit about it.  I'll see this one, but I'm already worried that it is going to be something that doesn't resonate with me.

yeah, and it seems that it will be just another horror movie for the bunch of acclaimed horror movies that the GP didn't give a fuck, it received a pathetic C-, I wouldn't be surprised with a total below IF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

horror is such a weird genre, usually when a movie receive great reviews in any other genre, it almost always means breakout, when comes to horror, it means low B.O :ph34r: 

I think because usually critics don't get why most horror fans like horror films so when one comes out that is nothing like those movies, critics like it.  But the horror base won't because it's not what they want.

or at least that is my take on the whole thing :P 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 75live said:

I think because usually critics don't get why most horror fans like horror films so when one comes out that is nothing like those movies, critics like it.  But the horror base won't because it's not what they want.

or at least that is my take on the whole thing :P 

and horror fans at least know what they like in a movie? I mean, almost every single horror movie is hated by fans of the genre, lmfao

5 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

horror is such a weird genre, usually when a movie receive great reviews in any other genre, it almost always means breakout, when comes to horror, it means low B.O :ph34r: 

This seems to be more of a scathing commentary on patriarchy and its effects and aims to be more disturbing than out and out horror. While critics dig that kind of psychological examination, GA want literal bumps and scares. I can understand the disconnect. Also, apparently the Jacobean English doesn't seem to be helping.

• Like 4

Ok I just got back and yeah I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed due to the marketing and such.  I actually do like it, but it's not at all what they are trying to sell.  I can't say too much because it maybe too close to spoiling stuff but it is definitely more psychological, as already said by others, and it is more creepy and thought provoking.  It's not gory, no jump scares really, well maybe one

Someone asked if it was hard to hear people or something like that, and no, it's very clear, but for some, getting used to the olde time English may take a few minutes.

But I do get why it has the low Cinema score, as this is definitely not for everyone, as it will be slow for some people.  

So yeah, if you are looking for some jump scare, gory kills and all that, this is not the movie for you :P 

I wrote up more in the review forum

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2