The Stingray

The Witch | February 19, 2016 | The new indie horror darling

3 hours ago, Baumer said:

Well if @75live likes it then im fairly confident i will. Then again @Telemachos you like it follows so i guess im worried now. I am working sort of late tonight and then it's the walking dead so I will have to see this tomorrow. Meaning Monday.

well I am not saying it is the same as If Follows but I think it is more atmospheric like that and another film I want to say, but I can't 

It's definitely not going to be a universally liked film so there's still a 50/50 shot you may brutality hate it :P 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

This seems to be more of a scathing commentary on patriarchy and its effects and aims to be more disturbing than out and out horror. While critics dig that kind of psychological examination, GA want literal bumps and scares. I can understand the disconnect. Also, apparently the Jacobean English doesn't seem to be helping.

that's a good discussion, which is better for the genre? More 'intelligent' horror movies like The Witch, that would bring some respect for the genre, but, would receive zero attention from GP, or, more generic movies like The Boy, that would be hated by most of critics, but, would be a success with public? That's why The Conjuring is so genial, it brought the perfect combination from both worlds into a single masterpiece

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

that's a good discussion, which is better for the genre? More 'intelligent' horror movies like The Witch, that would bring some respect for the genre, but, would receive zero attention from GP, or, more generic movies like The Boy, that would be hated by most of critics, but, would be a success with public? That's why The Conjuring is so genial, it brought the perfect combination from both worlds into a single masterpiece

Speaking of masterpieces, I'm still amazed at how unique and ground-breaking The Blair Witch Project was as a movie. Folks keep reducing its insane success to "shaky handcam gimmick" but it's really impressive how it completely forsakes gore and even the typical jump scares for atmosphere and psychological play. Even the handy cam is more of an atmosphere building tool than an audience nausea inducer. You could easily apply the common complaints to it like "Nothing really happens in it", and "The witch doesn't even turn up!" And yet, people flocked to it. Just shows that if you're innovative enough then the disconnect between critics and audiences can be bridged.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Speaking of masterpieces, I'm still amazed at how unique and ground-breaking The Blair Witch Project was as a movie. Folks keep reducing its insane success to "shaky handcam gimmick" but it's really impressive how it completely forsakes gore and even the typical jump scares for atmosphere and psychological play. Even the handy cam is more of an atmosphere building tool than an audience nausea inducer. You could easily apply the common complaints to it like "Nothing really happens in it", and "The witch doesn't even turn up!" And yet, people flocked to it. Just shows that if you're innovative enough then the disconnect between critics and audiences can be bridged.

yeah, it's an amazing movie, no doubts about it, but even more amazing than the movie was the whole marketing around the movie, I always say that it was the best marketing in the history of cinema, my mother used to say how big it was in her time, how everyone truly believed that it really happened, and went to cinema to see the last moments of life of these young teenagers, I don't think we will ever see something like this again, especially in this internet Era, the most similar thing was the PA phenomenon, and even this one wasn't half as big as TBWP, that's why I love this genre, for all those innovations that only the horror genre can bring, that's why is so sad to see the current situation of the genre, where the producers seems unable to bring a new innovation

• Like 1

How much of The Witch had people staring at each other and saying nothing for long periods of time? Overly long silent scenes are the only thing that put me off in Horror movies.

Also this movie or The Boy?

I'm seeing The Purge: Election Year on the first weekend.

9 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

How much of The Witch had people staring at each other and saying nothing for long periods of time? Overly long silent scenes are the only thing that put me off in Horror movies.

Also this movie or The Boy?

I'm seeing The Purge: Election Year on the first weekend.

TB is a great surprise, better than almost every horror movie released last year 

• Like 1

They're re-releasing it this weekend, apparently. They released a new extremely spoiler-ific trailer to promote it.

EDIT: A24 is re-releasing The Witch in theaters, taking it from 146 locations to 666.

Edited by Taylor