Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Really, what was the big deal with the I-Rex? Why would it possibly boost revenues this insane amount? It looked exactly like a T-Rex with a few more spikes. I expected it to sprout wings or do some awesome hybrid dinosaur shit. It was just like a slightly faster T-Rex.

There isn't anything great about a new iPhone either but people just keep flocking to them.

Saw it for the 4th time today.  That's four times in 8 days.  Haven't done that with a film since.....I don't even know, maybe the first Expendables.

I shed tears of pure unadulterated ecstasy when she got the flare for the T-REX, it really is one of the most iconic moments in the history of film and I know I really shouldn't be saying that since it has been out for 8 days but it really is.

Things I noticed more clearly this time.

There is a clear and obvious nod to Predator, not sure why but there is....even when the commandos come out to hunt the IREX, the music changes from Williamsesque to Silvestriesque.  

When Owen is first shown in the film, his introduction is very similar to Indy's in Raiders...the sun, his silhouette but he is filmed from the front and not the rear.

There is a nod to Jaws, when Owen finds the gyrosphere, he pulls the claw out of it with his knife, just like Hooper did in the hull of Ben Gardiner's boat.  I thought that was pretty cool.

The flying pterodctyl things were like gremlins, they behaved like gremlins in some part, another Spielberg nod.

And of course all the nods to Jurassic Park were pretty cool.

I just love this movie.

• Like 4

I do love that baumer cried. It makes no sense to me having seen the film, but something in this clicked with a guy and I love that. Also he's not gonna see Inside Out and he might as well cry at one movie this year

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

How about the animatronic ones from the original?

There's literally just one scene in Jurassic Park where the dinosaur looks real, and it lasts about 20 seconds.

The dinosaurs at times in JW looked fake but they looked better overall. Maybe there wasn't that sense of awe because it wasn't the first time we'd seen dinosaurs on the big screen? We take great special effects for granted now. If JW had been released in 1993 people would be far more amazed with the images on screen.

• Like 1

There's literally just one scene in Jurassic Park where the dinosaur looks real, and it lasts about 20 seconds.

The dinosaurs at times in JW looked fake but they looked better overall. Maybe there wasn't that sense of awe because it wasn't the first time we'd seen dinosaurs on the big screen? We take great special effects for granted now. If JW had been released in 1993 people would be far more amazed with the images on screen.

They looked pretty goddamn real in 1993.

• Like 2

The JP1 animatronics were and still are incredible IMHO. That said, I was a lot more impressed by the CGI in JP4 than I expected to be. If you dig through some of the threads on this board and find the reactions to the trailers, I was one of the people complaining that the CGI in the trailers (or at least the first trailer) looked worse than what we got in 1993. They did some great work in post-production and the final product turned out much better than expected.

We got a sense of awe and wonderment in the original JP because Spielberg knows how to direct and John Williams knows how to score. CGI was a distant third reason.

JW was not as expertly directed or scored. Its CGI is obviously better though from a technical viewpoint.

Edited by Spottswoode
  • Like 5