Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Why there are some films where I can see who voted what and other films like Jurassic World where I can't ???

Mods, any ideas ?

I'm not a mod, but it's an option to whoever creates the poll.  Sometimes people make the voters visible and sometimes they don't

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

Well it may not be mentioned in the film.  But you think they have advanced communications with clear signal.  First one "jamming" when Owen and 2 others were in the paddock of the I-Rex and they were being warned but it was hard to understand the words going through the walkie talkie.  And also Howard's character was in contact with control room clearly when she was in her car and away from the cage.  Second one was when Claire tried to contact the kids through their cell phone and it wouldn't get through.  Why is that?  Was I-Rex nearby hunting them?  Claire was able to contact with the babysitter and no problems in talking with her or even Claire's sister.  This could be attempt to make the I-Rex having another military capability.

The movie never mentions it can jam electronics, then as Dash says, why can they use all those guns and cameras if I-Rex could?

One thing that sorta infuriated me was almost like clockwork, I could point out who was going to die by their skin color. After the gratuitous "two minorities die first", they made light-skinned people fair game. Only had like one token black guy for the whole plot to help the blue eyed white saviors. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 1

I think I missed that. Gonna have to check for it next time around. Which part of the screen was he?

Briefly it takes place at a bar I think, and it shows a elderly guy in the middle of the shot holding two drinks in his hand and holding on to it while moving away from the window with chaos around him. I didn't catch it the first time I watched the movie as well. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ

One thing that sorta infuriated me was almost like clockwork, I could point out who was going to die by their skin color. After the gratuitous "two minorities die first", they made light-skinned people fair game. Only had like one token black guy for the whole plot to help the blue eyed white saviors. 

Eh? If I recall correctly, weren't the first two characters to die those two techs that accompanied Owen into the paddock? And while one looked fairly Hispanic, the other was quite definitively white. And, while admittedly I also knew they were going to get eaten, that had more to do with them being blatant redshirts than it did skin colour. 

Hell, the movie had a decent number of minorities in the cast. Omar Sy, as mentioned (who, on a tangent, was a touch wasted and needs a bigger role in the next movies). Mazrani, who admittedly got mauve shirted, but was still the 8th richest man in the world, the park's owner/boss and a fairy decent guy, despite a few oversights. It's hard to call that a particular negative portrayal. And you forgot B.D Wong made it through the whole thing. And he was the mad scientist. That's like a magnet for some kind of over-the-top karmic death. And while Hamada got munched fairly early on, that had more to do with him being the leader of a bunch of obvious redshirts (who were mostly white) than his skin colour.

Obviously, I'm not going to call JW a shining example of racial equality, because it blatantly isn't, but its issues are more indicative of Hollywood as a whole, rather than just this specific film. And, to be honest, I'm mainly replying because I think your reasoning is fairly dodgy.

Also, the T-Rex didn't have blue eyes. And everyone knows it was the true saviour of this movie.

• Like 1

Pretty much an archetype of the modern blockbuster experience.  Bask in some bright colors, get over-stimulated, and leave the theater starving for something of substance.  

As we walked out my buddy asked me what the names of the main characters in the film were.  I had no response.

Enough said.

• Like 7

Briefly it takes place at a bar I think, and it shows a elderly guy in the middle of the shot holding two drinks in his hand and holding on to it while moving away from the window with chaos around him. I didn't catch it the first time I watched the movie as well.

It's Jimmy Buffet!

It's Jimmy Buffet!

Was it really? See I noticed the Margaritaville sign and thought that was cool because I've been to a few of those restaurants before, but I totally missed the old guy (apparently Jimmy). That's freaking awesome. I need to look for that later this week in my second viewing.

• Like 1

Fun as fuck film. The last half hour is epic. Seeing I-Rex vs T-Rex made my heart burst with happiness. Fucking thrilling.

Bryce was great. The best in the film. She kicked way more ass than Pratt IMO. Her big moment near the end is just phenomenal and really well done.

Also...please give me a Blue of my own. That cheesy ass shot of her in slow-motion gave me life.

A

I had so much fun...and almost teared up when John William's music played for the first time.

• Like 6

The more I see what tyrannosaurs and raptors really looked like the more I think they're far more terrifying than Dr. Wu's designs for Jurassic World. So terrifying and exotic. More real. And, more believable. I really hope someone makes that Jurassic Park one day. Really could've done it here and rather easily. Admitted that Grant's research was correct, dinos were closer to birds than expected and InGen found better, more viable DNA substitutes to make it happen. But, of course, nobody else wants that. Looks these things (T-Rex, Raptor)... Holy fuck it's unsettlingly. Hopefully in the next one.

5359304_orig.jpg

Velociraptor_u4hjbq.jpg

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 7

• Community Manager
Yall are crazy, when he opened the hotel curtains and the Willians score came on, that was perfect. My favorite part of the movie.
I think people who criticize that scene fail to recognize why it played in that moment. The park might be corporate and all but even then it is it's own character like the original movie. The first time we saw it since the first movie.
  • Like 1

Why there are some films where I can see who voted what and other films like Jurassic World where I can't ???

Mods, any ideas ?

a while ago, a mod said that they sometimes forget to click in the option to enable that feature, and you can't change after the thread is created.
  • Like 1

I think people who criticize that scene fail to recognize why it played in that moment. The park might be corporate and all but even then it is it's own character like the original movie. The first time we saw it since the first movie.

It was like seeing Petticoat Lane's pea circus without peas in the frame. Williams iconic theme was written to translate the sheer awe and magnifiscent feeling of characters marveling at ancient creatures long gone roaming free, not Main Street:Isla Nublar filled with fat tourists like your typical corporate theme park.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 3

a while ago, a mod said that they sometimes forget to click in the option to enable that feature, and you can't change after the thread is created.

Seems every mod except Tele doesn't enable that feature.

OK, so I actually enjoyed this movie, although I'm pretty sure the kids alone cost the movie like 10% on RT. Bryce Dallas Howard is fucking beautiful. Chris Pratt is the definition of Hollywood bad ass. I did watch a shitty webcam version and can't really comment on the effects or lighting, but I can say the script could've used a lot more polishing. As I said, enjoyable movie. Honestly, I enjoyed the first Jurassic Park more when I first watched it, mostly because of the WOW factor (I remember asking my dad how they found real dinosaurs and my dad had to explain to me they were robots and stuff like that), but it has dropped since then. Overall, right now, I think I like this one just a bit more, but it will most certainly drop with time.

Also, I have to say the sequence where they couldn't find the dinosaur. The moment they said it was still in the change - that was chilling.

A-

• Like 1

Thankfully, the sexism that might have been there is pretty much not. Howard's character is fine, and dare I say, possibly the best in the film. I have to say, I was impressed by her. She's no Furiosa, but she actually gets to have a bit of fun. My being impressed with the movie stops there. It's standard, safe blockbuster fare for most of it, and even Pratt doesn't get to have a lot of fun. I counted more cliches and rip-offs in this movie than product placements (No, because you make a joke about does not make it instantly less annoying). Honestly, on the drive home, nothing really stood out for me in the long run. Having said that, it's fun, albeit fairly disposable entertainment. It's not something to bring your brain to, but it could have been a lot worse. It's decently enjoyable for what it is.

• Like 1