Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It was lousy. The movie took the wrong perspective.

The movie should have been from the POV of unlikely heroes or someone in the peripherical technicities of the park being thrown into that mess (like a guy working in Margaritavilles or cleaning the dinos open range) and having to rise up to the challenge. Not manly man über alpha from the get-go and stuck-up workaholic managing the whole park like Six Flags. If the movie's main characters were a team up of heteroclite civilian characters (you can include that annoying geek guy in the mix) that have to band and work together making the journey through the island to survive, know each other in the process and change through the course of the events while witnessing those army guys being slaughtered left and right by mutant dinos around them, meeting park's scientists and corporate bosses on the run so you see and comprehend all the mayhem from their point of view. Basically, Jurassic World made War Of The Worlds style. Who gives a damn about Ingen pundits POV and random special ops fodder POV?

(That could be hilarious if the characters encountered the so-called Raptor trainer played by Pratt leading them because of dudebro manliness overload and then fridged him by being eaten at the corner by his own raptors squad so you convey that nobody is safe, you got your "spin the cliches" moment and that dinos no matter how friendly you think they can be are still savage animals roaming free to obey to their instinct so let them fight)

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 5

woulda been a little weird considering their whole plot arc is about bonding as brothers

The arc would obviously have changed to them bonding as siblings and it really wouldn't have been much different. I would have had the young kid be a girl if it was me.

• Like 4

A JP film from the POV of a lowly worker having to step up would have indeed been fun and different. The first quarter could have shown his/her day to day routine dealing with dinos/building up character/getting a sense of place while the rest could have given more time to the utter chaos endured by the crowds.

I enjoyed the pterodactyl scene (mean-spirited assistant death notwithstanding) and felt short-changed that that was essentially it as far as the 'operational park going to hell' premise went. You could tell the filmmakers felt obliged to remind us with a couple of shots that, yes, the crowd was still there in evening, with nothing to do. 

• Like 2

I mentioned that shortly after my first viewing. Other than one particular sequence (the attack on the main street), there's very little that draws on the idea that Jurassic World is a woking and very populated park. For a film that is built up around that very notion it's certainly odd they don't put it to better use.

• Like 3

He makes the risky and heroic decision of staying in the control room allowing him to open padlock nine. 

Okay, forgive me if I've already forgotten, but was there any actual danger to him staying?  Were there dino's banging on the door or what?

Either they did, and I forgot or they didn't and all he really did was sit in a secure room and play with computers.  That wouldn't really be a heroic situation at all.

• Like 1

I mentioned that shortly after my first viewing. Other than one particular sequence (the attack on the main street), there's very little that draws on the idea that Jurassic World is a woking and very populated park. For a film that is built up around that very notion it's certainly odd they don't put it to better use.

They couldn t afford it.

And I am being serious.

The movie s cost would have increased in the millions with set pieces involving dinos attacking hundreds/thousands of people, very complex scenes to do.

Even Godzilla and Pacific Rim didn t feature such scenes.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Okay, forgive me if I've already forgotten, but was there any actual danger to him staying?  Were there dino's banging on the door or what?   Either they did, and I forgot or they didn't and all he really did was sit in a secure room and play with computers.  That wouldn't really be a heroic situation at all.
The whole island is being evacuated because dinosaurs have overrun the place. That means that they could in theory reach the control room which is no longer protected. Then there's the matter that you by yourself have to get to a ship. Would you have been surprised if there was a Dino attack in the control room? No.

The whole island is being evacuated because dinosaurs have overrun the place. That means that they could in theory reach the control room which is no longer protected. Then there's the matter that you by yourself have to get to a ship. Would you have been surprised if there was a Dino attack in the control room? No.

Okay, so then that's when you show dinosaurs on the way, and he still chooses to stay.  Have them progressively get worse and he has to stay and help operate things at the risk of his own life.  Cliche?  Totally, but it wouldn't have actually been brave and heroic and redeemed him as a character.  

Also, in regards to the evacuation...was it actually evacuated?  Everyone just seemed to be hanging out in the lobby afterwards.  It might have actually been SAFER to stay in the control room.

• Like 1

They couldn t afford it.

And I am being serious.

The movie s cost would have increased in the millions with set pieces involving dinos attacking hundreds/thousands of people, very complex scenes to do.

Even Godzilla and Pacific Rim didn t feature such scenes.

Millions. Heavens. Obviously Universal/Legendary/et al could never afford such a thing.

Eighteen years ago STARSHIP TROOPERS -- to name but one example -- managed to have plenty of full-on human/alien carnage. In broad daynight. Even putting aside the massive MASSIVE shots, ROTK managed to have dozens of Oliphaunts just wreaking havoc on thousands of soldiers. Are you saying that a few dozen additional shots were impossible? Heck, lose some of the repetitive pterandon shots. Heck, imply, if you must, and avoid showing.

• Like 5

Millions. Heavens. Obviously Universal/Legendary/et al could never afford such a thing.

Eighteen years ago STARSHIP TROOPERS -- to name but one example -- managed to have plenty of full-on human/alien carnage. In broad daynight. Even putting aside the massive MASSIVE shots, ROTK managed to have dozens of Oliphaunts just wreaking havoc on thousands of soldiers. Are you saying that a few dozen additional shots were impossible? Heck, lose some of the repetitive pterandon shots. Heck, imply, if you must, and avoid showing.

You don't actually see Muldoon, Nedry, or Arnold get killed.  Death by implication is totally viable.

• Like 3

I still dont get the "we need more teeth" and why Ty Simpkins of all people said it, felt like a very random thing to say in the moment, and he said it so deadpan. Of all the way you could motive BDH to go get I-rex, thats the best you could come up with, writers?

• Like 1

• Community Manager

I still dont get the "we need more teeth" and why Ty Simpkins of all people said it, felt like a very random thing to say in the moment, and he said it so deadpan. Of all the way you could motive BDH to go get I-rex, thats the best you could come up with, writers?

He was trying to state that they needed a bigger dinosaur but in a way that called back to previous dialogue about how more teeth = better dinosaurs. Look, it's a movie. Sometimes movies do things like this.

Okay, so then that's when you show dinosaurs on the way, and he still chooses to stay.  Have them progressively get worse and he has to stay and help operate things at the risk of his own life.  Cliche?  Totally, but it wouldn't have actually been brave and heroic and redeemed him as a character.  

Also, in regards to the evacuation...was it actually evacuated?  Everyone just seemed to be hanging out in the lobby afterwards.  It might have actually been SAFER to stay in the control room.

We don't see the people from the control room after they evacuate and for the most part we don't see any of the guests after that too. As to your suggestions, that's a way to create tension (and they probably should have done that) but you are confusing what the movie does with what the character thinks. The character isn't thinking "oh, there's dinosaurs lose on the island but I'm safe for no reason because I don't see any threats coming my way." The character is thinking "the island is being evacuated, dinosaurs are on the lose, but I feel like it's my duty to see my responsibilities through."

I agree in the sense I wanted to see more humans being eaten.

• Like 2

There were quite a few moments which felt like punchlines to setups that were cut out in editing. Eg. the kid having matches. Why does he have matches?? It's trivial, of course, but if the writer doesn't prelude that then it takes you out of the movie.

• Like 6