Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This has been bothering me since the first time I saw the film. Why did they drop the Christmas setting when they got to Jurassic World?

They don't need it.  Dinosaurs are greater than Santa Clause.

• Like 3

Can't believe I missed this thread after having watched the film like a gazillion times so far.

It's easily just as good and memorable as the first JP. It does justice to every JP fan who waited 14 long years to see this movie. Jurassic Perfection.

A.

Was wondering why I could see the chauvinist, illegal downloading, blockbuster only, hypocritical lordmandeep's posts and realized I wasn't signed in.

If you don't want to watch Interstellar and Mad Max ever again, why give them an "A"? Failing attempt to have a relevant opinion by pandering to the board's fanboys. 

Okay, that said, Jurassic World didn't do enough for me in terms of dino action. Plot was stupid but as long as they delivered more action I'd be fine.

The pandering to Spielberg is beyond ridiculous but when he's in charge of a project, what can you expect? No identity to the film. Useless inclusions of divorced parents, force fed motions of emotional backstory that failed beyond measure. BDH being saved by Pratt's manliness. lolz good one Steven.

• Like 1

I didn't realize any of the product placement though. 

haha maybe it is subconscious but couldn't think of any brand even in the movie now.

I only know about the Samsung placing because people spoke about it after. I guess I just filter it out, which if it happened to more people, would be an interesting study on how effective this kind of marketing is. 

Was wondering why I could see the chauvinist, illegal downloading, blockbuster only, hypocritical lordmandeep's posts and realized I wasn't signed in.

If you don't want to watch Interstellar and Mad Max ever again, why give them an "A"? Failing attempt to have a relevant opinion by pandering to the board's fanboys. 

Okay, that said, Jurassic World didn't do enough for me in terms of dino action. Plot was stupid but as long as they delivered more action I'd be fine.

The pandering to Spielberg is beyond ridiculous but when he's in charge of a project, what can you expect? No identity to the film. Useless inclusions of divorced parents, force fed motions of emotional backstory that failed beyond measure. BDH being saved by Pratt's manliness. lolz good one Steven.

Look I do not ignore people on here because I want to read everyone posts no matter how smart or stupid or insulting to myself. 

If you say those things make me a bad person I think you been shown to lack much character  as well engaging in such petty insults to make yourself feel so good about yourself. 

I was saying that certain films are a good watch the first time while others are re-watchable over and over again. 

IS is a good first watch but the ending is a bit off putting, while JW while generic is good fun for a far broader audience. 

I do not understand what is so wacky about an idea that you can grade a film highly for not being that  fun but being well made and ranking another film that is fun but not well made. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Watched this for a 2nd time on the plane.... there's lots to like about it - the set pieces are great, Pratt & Dallas Howard are fine, the meta angle on everything feels clever at first (but gets a bit heavy handed towards the end). My main issue is that it just seems to float past too quickly and just doesn't have any narrative or structural weight. Watching it a 2nd time, I kept thinking 'oh, we're here already?'. One of the reasons the film has been so successful is that final dino battle - it's the only time that the action feels really built up, and so pays off successfully.

I still really enjoyed it - this is easily on a par with the best big summer flicks of the past decade in terms of fun + re-watchability. And whilst I'm sure there's a million plot holes, and a ton of product placement, it's one of the few big films of recent years that more than anything wants the audience to have fun. That's it - and that's fine.

A solid B+.

• Like 1

Blu Ray looks majestic.

Pratt does Pratt.

Bryce is head over heals.

ILM gives us beautiful dinos.

Kids are annoying like in the first movie.

Omar speaks french.

Great pop corn flick.

It s Colin Trevorrow s World, we just live in it.

B+

On 7/13/2015, 11:35:18, Vanilla said:

This has been bothering me since the first time I saw the film. Why did they drop the Christmas setting when they got to Jurassic World?

Have to rewatch it again.  But I thought it was just where they were living that was cold and snowy.  Don't remember any Christmas theme reference in the film.

• Like 1

On July 8, 2015 at 12:08:21 PM, Gopher said:

"Turn off your brain" is a disease. I thought we were done with this mentality after Transformers. If movies like Furious 7 can make all the dots align and provide thrills that make contextual sense, nothing else should be excused. 

Lol Jurassic World is definitely better than Furious 7, which was one of the worst in that series 

On July 8, 2015 at 12:08:21 PM, Gopher said:

"Turn off your brain" is a disease. I thought we were done with this mentality after Transformers. If movies like Furious 7 can make all the dots align and provide thrills that make contextual sense, nothing else should be excused. 

Lol Jurassic World is definitely better than Furious 7, which was one of the worst in that series 

On 6/9/2015, 2:25:54, Gopher said:

What doesn't work:

The kids, who probably could have been cut from the film with the gain of fleshing out the stock figures already at the park. I know Spielberg = kids, but they're only loosely and clumsily tied to BDL and they're not good actors at all.

The dialogue, all of it, grating to listen to and entirely robotic.

BDL's character-- no empathetic qualities yet she's the lead of the film and falls for Pratt's sexism for no evident reason in the script or the action. Shame in a pretty progressive summer this film's got a huge women problem.

Every character-- some lesser versions of JP, some just constructed horribly from the start. The antagonist's first scene is him wanting to get dinosaurs in the military. Amazingly enough he only gets worse from there.

Pratt's an incredibly capable actor who was not right for the material.

The product placement

The CGI

The lighting

The filmmaking

The movie

What works:

Jake Johnson, but only kind of, because he's charming and not his horribly written wisecracks.

Uh.. uhh... uhhh... some arial shots looked... nice...

Indy was a better fourquel than this.

D+

2734112.jpg

• Like 2