Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'm no expert in the field, but Starship Trooper's vfx looked amazing in '97 (get your shit straight, dash), and still do.

Eh. The creatures still hold up well but some of the scenes with the ships blowing up look very fake to me.

I'm starting to realize this might be the most fun I've had at the theater in five years.  I saw it for the 6th time last night and my date (who didn't like it) told me that she didn't understand why I had tears in my eyes during the T-Rex/I-rex clash.  They were involuntary and I simply can't help it.  And the tears started when Claire stands in front of Paddock 9, with the flare and then Rex runs after her.  This movie reminds me a bit of Last Crusade in that it just doesn't get old.  I saw that one 13 times at the theater, I won't hit 13 for this one, because, well, I'm not 17 anymore.  But I will probably go one more time.  It's just magic.

Fuck you Tele.  :)

• Like 3

I will probably never feel the same way about this (IMO, of course) dull, cliched, and poorly written film, but it's nice to see sonsome people love it so much. Like Transformers (2), most people see a piece of garbage, but you truly embrace it, and I think a lot of other people did too. In other words, you do you, Baumer. :)

Having said that, the final fight, while still the second best part of the film (Our first look at the park is truly amazing), it just reeked of pandering and felt way more forced than it should have.

• Like 3

I'm wavering between a D+ and a C-.

Haha funny you say that about Jurassic World compared to Jurassic Park. Because that score is exactly how I feel when you compare Mad Max: Fury Road to Mad Max: The Road Warrior. 

The first time I saw Fury Road I hadn't watched the originals in a long time. So I went and saw it again after watching both Mad Max & The Road Warrior last night and thought for sure it would improve. But it actually got even worse.

What actually seemed like a realistic scenario in Road Warrior turned into this whole other world. And compared to the originals, Miller abuses the hell out of that sped action frame stuff. He uses it everywhere for just scenes like Max trying to take off the headgear. The plot is hardly even a movie. It's just an endless desert chase filled with action scenes that are just a repeat of what came before. 

You say there's no one to care for in Jurassic World. I completely disagree. I especially liked Claire, Owen & Lowery.

I cared for the characters in Road Warrior but I didn't in Fury Road. Not Nux or his journey to get to Valhalla. Not Furiosa who has a whole 2 minutes of backstory.  Not any of the brides who I still don't know the names of besides Splendid.  And definitely not Max who was played light years better by Mel Gibson. You can have a character with barely any dialogue but Tom Hardy wasn't the right choice.

So yeah give me Jurassic World any day over having to watch that again. The best thing about it is the score by Junkie XL. It's the best of the year and I love how it's incorporated into the movie. I also still loved the big sandstorm scene. After that it's all downhill and just a repeat of what the opening chase was.

It amazes me how much people trash JW for its dialogue (which I agree is nothing great) and not look at Fury Road for also having the same issues. Like George Lucas Star Wars prequel dialogue, especially coming from the brides.

Sorry, I guess different strokes for different folks.

Jurassic World went up to a B+ with a rewatch and Mad Max: Fury Road went down to a C- especially comparing it to Road Warrior. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

I will agree that was really off. Like, why would he be carrying matches? Did he expect that he'd be lighting torches? :lol:

And the matches still worked after plunging into the waterfall... :slaphead: 

I wonder if there was a scene that got cut where they were tooling around at the gift shop and Moppet Head was randomly grabbing every stupid little souvenir he saw, including the matchbook. That would explain why he happened to have them, though not why these magical matchsticks would still work after being fully submerged in water.

Yes! JP3 was awesome, had great characters and was also the first to have nice taro dactyl (sp?) shots. The first one is good but it does take forever to get the action started.

-_- William H. Macy and Tea Leoni are the most obnoxious thing to come out of the series.
  • Like 2

Yes! JP3 was awesome, had great characters and was also the first to have nice taro dactyl (sp?) shots. The first one is good but it does take forever to get the action started.

This mindset is the reason blockbusters are clusterfucks now.

• Like 9