Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

There were quite a few moments which felt like punchlines to setups that were cut out in editing. Eg. the kid having matches. Why does he have matches?? It's trivial, of course, but if the writer doesn't prelude that then it takes you out of the movie.

Didn't take me out at all.

There were quite a few moments which felt like punchlines to setups that were cut out in editing. Eg. the kid having matches. Why does he have matches?? It's trivial, of course, but if the writer doesn't prelude that then it takes you out of the movie.

Maybe he smokes.

You seem pretty picky with blockbusters which makes it all the more baffling why you enjoyed The Hobbit movies.

I grew to be massively disappointed after BotFA, fyi. The Hobbit certainly is something different for me, though, as I am a massive fan of the mythology behind it all and therefore can enjoy individual scenes I read about for years even if I don't think that the trilogy as a whole was all that great. I ultimately didn't rate BotFA much higher than JW, mind you. After my initial review that was based on the first viewing after the long anticipation, my score for it dropped and dropped.

Picky? Not sure... I loved Apes and X-Men last year. Disliked Godzilla. This year is pretty "meh" for me regarding blockbusters, true. But I didn't really watch any typical blockbuster except JW and AoU this year... and I do not think one has to be extremely picky for not being particularly impressed by them.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

I grew to be massively disappointed after BotFA, fyi. The Hobbit certainly is something different for me, though, as I am a massive fan of the mythology behind it all and therefore can enjoy individual scenes I read about for years even if I don't think that the trilogy as a whole was all that great. I ultimately didn't rate BotFA much higher than JW, though.

Picky? Not sure... I loved Apes and X-Men last year. Disliked Godzilla. This year is pretty "meh" for me regarding blockbusters, true.

Do you like clash of the titans, 300? Given it's mythology and all.

Millions. Heavens. Obviously Universal/Legendary/et al could never afford such a thing.

Eighteen years ago STARSHIP TROOPERS -- to name but one example -- managed to have plenty of full-on human/alien carnage. In broad daynight. Even putting aside the massive MASSIVE shots, ROTK managed to have dozens of Oliphaunts just wreaking havoc on thousands of soldiers. Are you saying that a few dozen additional shots were impossible? Heck, lose some of the repetitive pterandon shots. Heck, imply, if you must, and avoid showing.

Starship Troopers was an incredibly expensive film for its time ( maybe more costly that Jurassic World in adjusted dollar), every cent on that film was put on the action, set pieces, Bugs VFX, spaceships, armors, extras/stuntsmen being slaughtered by the bugs.

And ROTK had digital armies ( there was maybe some practical shots inserted can t fully remember) being attacked by the Oliphants, which are nothing new and large group of digital people being attacked by dinos could have looked tacky.

My point still stands, dinos attacking a large group of people would have been more expensive and difficult to make.

And the movie had enough spectacle/dinos/set pieces/CGI to entertain IMO, it didn 't look cheap at all.  A tentpole of its time.

Spielberg is well known in Hollywood to be a very cost conscious director/producer.

Jurassic War will probably do it anyway so ...

Starship Troopers was an incredibly expensive film for its time ( maybe more costly that Jurassic World in adjusted dollar), every cent on that film was put on the action, set pieces, Bugs VFX, spaceships, armors, extras/stuntsmen being slaughtered by the bugs.

And ROTK had digital armies ( there was maybe some practical shots inserted can t fully remember) being attacked by the Oliphants, which are nothing new and large group of digital people being attacked by dinos could have looked tacky.

My point still stands, dinos attacking a large group of people would have been more expensive and difficult to make.

And the movie had enough spectacle/dinos/set pieces/CGI to entertain IMO, it didn 't look cheap at all.  A tentpole of its time.

Spielberg is well known in Hollywood to be a very cost conscious director/producer.

I'm sorry, but all these are excuses. Excuses that a top-of-the-line tentpole shouldn't be making, given the story they chose to tell.

• Like 6

I grew to be massively disappointed after BotFA, fyi. The Hobbit certainly is something different for me, though, as I am a massive fan of the mythology behind it all and therefore can enjoy individual scenes I read about for years even if I don't think that the trilogy as a whole was all that great. I ultimately didn't rate BotFA much higher than JW, mind you. After my initial review that was based on the first viewing after the long anticipation, my score for it dropped and dropped.

Picky? Not sure... I loved Apes and X-Men last year. Disliked Godzilla. This year is pretty "meh" for me regarding blockbusters, true. But I didn't really watch any typical blockbuster except JW and AoU this year... and I do not think one has to be extremely picky for not being particularly impressed by them.

Don t take this the wrong way, but you seem to not like dumb fun so much, except when dumb fun happens in Middle earth.

Apes & X Men last year were clearly the most serious summer blockbusters, tone wise.

I will agree that was really off. Like, why would he be carrying matches? Did he expect that he'd be lighting torches?  :lol:

• Like 1

Don t take this the wrong way, but you seem to not like dumb fun so much, except when dumb fun happens in Middle earth.

Apes & X Men last year were clearly the most serious summer blockbusters, tone wise.

I do like movies such as Dante's Peak (and most other "dumb" disaster movies), Home Alone and the original JP. 

Your pigeonholing doesn't work, sorry.

But whatever, my sincere believe still stands that one can like "dumb" blockbusters and still dislike this one. I mainly dislike it as it imho totally failed to capture the charm of the original (and dind't make an effort to offer anything else either). A lot of you guys feel differently - good for you. I sure wasn't looking for a disappointment when I walked into this one.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 3

Sorry that doesn't fly for me because Bay's Transformers put all those excuses to rest as those movies cost about the same. Real life Chicago blown up by giant CG robots seamlessly while extras are running for their lives in the middle of practical explosions mayhem was harder and more hazardous to pull off than orchestrating dinos carnage on a fake park studio set where you can put green screen anywhere you want. Believe me ILM could do dinos mayhem preying on stunt actors then composite digital doubles within the same shots seamlessly that nobody could catch the transitions. If Starship Troopers could do it in 1998, they could have done it in 2015. It's just that the makers of this movie didn't have much ideas and creativity to showcase.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

I meant I like the Tolkien mythology. So that has nothing to do with Titans or 300 (not to say I disliked them, I enjoyed 300 quite a bit... despite it not having much to do with the actual Greek mythology).

clash of the titan put me to sleep, and so did it's sequel haha. I was pratically forced to see it with the friend but turns out no-one can see you sleep with 3d glasses on

Just saw JW!!! I don't see how people think Chris pratt was out of his league, he was awesome here. Very cool, had great one liners. Even Claire was pretty cool to me, yeah they showed her high heels a bit but whatever, she was entertaining to watch. The kids weren't that annoying, they actually seemed realistic to me. The graphics were fantastic, absolutely awesome. There was product placement, sure, biggest Mercedes but it wasn't like it took anything away.

Overall, I loved this, probably will go down as my second fav JP movie behind the third. I give this 8/10, A- rating overall. I'd def see this again.

• Like 1