158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2015‎ ‎14‎:‎27‎:‎44, dashrendar44 said:

Because Mad Max is not "entertainment" and too "thinking"? And you put it in the same bag as hodgepodge Interstellar aka we spell you the script aloud 50 times per reels to ensure we don't go gentle into that good night without truckload of exposition dumps? Good grief...facepalm.gif

I know you like to play Joe Schmoe's populist taste spokeperson that wants to turn his brain off against the intellectual cinephile snobs but you do this by spouting those kind of ludicrous statement. Mad Max is a big fun popcorn movie romp. But it doesn't take you for a bubbling idiot oblivious to the basics of good storytelling and effective filmmaking for craving so. (Funny, I just watched it again with my family to celebrate my sister's birthday as a double feature, The Road Warrior followed by Fury Road. Maybe my family is too special and so far removed from the film tastes of the humble plebeian crowd you champion)

Mad Max get very boring toward the middle, its definitely not 'as' entertaining. If the characters had been more relatable and the action scenes actually got progressively better then it would have been a far more satisfying piece of entertainment. Mad Max reminded me a lot of Pacific Rim in which they give you their best early on then nothing else lives up.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2015‎ ‎04‎:‎23‎:‎04, dashrendar44 said:

It's a litmus test how much bullshit you can endure till your brain gives up trying to make sense of it all. Absolutely nothing makes any sense, from character's behavior/motivation to the anthropomorphized dinos that act like Pokemons at script's will, people will use the eternal straw "It's a dinosaur movie, duh! It's not supposed to be an Oscar-bait, Just enjoy the dumbness". It's not because it's a "dinosaur movie" that everything got to be dumbed down and scripted poorly using trite stereotypes and ludicrous characterization like your Carnosaur 3 common B-movie, that's what made Jurassic Park stands from the awful and bland B-movies lot because Spielberg took a b-movie premise seriously and filmed it as such. That's what separates the T-rex attack from the last act of Lost World. The former is a model of tension building and pure horror mise-en-scene as much as awe struck, the latter just revels in eye-rolling dumb shit for the sake of it once the boat arrives to San Diego, Jurassic World is Lost World's last act stretched to 2 hours.

WOW you must be such a blast to have a drink with.

52 minutes ago, Jessie said:

WOW you must be such a blast to have a drink with.

Of course, I'm shiny and chrome. You must be a poodle of boringness if you think JW is more entertaining than MMFR. A movie where nothing of sort much happens till the middle and it's rather dull until the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

Of course, I'm shiny and chrome. You must be a poodle of boringness if you think JW is more entertaining than MMFR. A movie where nothing of sort much happens till the middle and it's rather dull until the end.

Neither are particularly memorable if I'm being honest.

10 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Maybe MMFR is not everyone cup of tea while JW is more widely accessible? So one may find JW more fun if they really cant get into the world MMFR

I am not talking about my opinion, I am talking about the overall opinion of the masses. 

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Maybe MMFR is not everyone cup of tea while JW is more widely accessible? So one may find JW more fun if they really cant get into the world MMFR

I am not talking about my opinion, I am talking about the overall opinion of the masses. 

Yeah like the "masses" that unabashedly enjoy FF series and JW can't enjoy MMFR on a pure surface level...The populist argument doesn't hold much water for me. At face value, MMFR is pure popcorn entertainment at its finest and not some kind of Tarkovski's brainy and opaque piece of cinematic intellectualism.

Edited by dashrendar44

Its not that it is anti-intellectualism from audiences. It is more about what is appealing and accessible and FF and JW are deeply entrenched and popular brands.

Fast and Furious is as or more accessible globally then superhero movies based on its WW gross. The characters are very popular and its diverse cast really appeals strongly to diverse audiences and it has cars and action.

JW is based on a very popular known entity and the film had appealed to pretty much all film demographics. 

Whether they are good films is personal choices but I think we cans see why they were popular. 

36 minutes ago, Phil in the Blank said:

Has enough time passed yet that we can all agree that this movie's hype and BO Performance blinded BOF on this movie and that this movie is, at best an average film?

Or do we need to give it another 6 months?

Nah, a bunch of people realized that a while ago.

• Like 1

*Shot of people being impressed by dinosaurs*

"No one is impressed with dinosaurs anymore!"

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Spaghetti-3PO said:

"No one is impressed with dinosaurs anymore!"

Just one of the many stupid things in this awful film. 

• Like 2