K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

There is a really easy joke to be made here, but since record breaking weekends don't come around often, I will let this slide.

I should have seen this coming.

• Like 1

Went to my theater to get tix early...wow. Packed to capacity. That's no hyperbole, there's no room in the parking lot. They also had a sign on the box office in BIG BOLD LETTERS saying that they're not refunding tix and to be sure you find a good JW and to get their early.

This basically solidifies what I've been saying all day. I think spillover is going to be real. My theater is a 14 screen, and they only have JW playing on 4, and only 2 2D. So there's 14 screens total and only 2 are playing the highest grossing format. I don't think they prepared for this, and I feel that's how it is with many theaters across the country, especially when I looked on Fandango. 

They had to put that sign on the BO because people are coming in groups of 6 and cant find seats together then want a refund so they can come back. With TA2, theaters knew what to expect and made showtimes accordingly, but obviously not here. I think a good bit of business intended for last night is coming today, and alot of people will be turned away today and be forced to go back tomorrow. It's insane. There's just not enough showtimes. Amazing weekend ahead.

So beautiful. 

• Like 1

Went to my theater to get tix early...wow. Packed to capacity. That's no hyperbole, there's no room in the parking lot. They also had a sign on the box office in BIG BOLD LETTERS saying that they're not refunding tix and to be sure you find a good JW and to get their early.

This basically solidifies what I've been saying all day. I think spillover is going to be real. My theater is a 14 screen, and they only have JW playing on 4, and only 2 2D. So there's 14 screens total and only 2 are playing the highest grossing format. I don't think they prepared for this, and I feel that's how it is with many theaters across the country, especially when I looked on Fandango. 

They had to put that sign on the BO because people are coming in groups of 6 and cant find seats together then want a refund so they can come back. With TA2, theaters knew what to expect and made showtimes accordingly, but obviously not here. I think a good bit of business intended for last night is coming today, and alot of people will be turned away today and be forced to go back tomorrow. It's insane. There's just not enough showtimes. Amazing weekend ahead.

It sounds like the first Avengers all over again. Theaters totally caught with their pants down.

still possible good buddy. I havent given up on shia yet. I think shia and pratt are both great actors. Shia is a lil better than pratt thought

I really hope he does. Its the way t go for an Indy revival and the Transformers franchise is looking in need of help and I'm sure they would take him back

So far this summer, only 2 movies have actually performed below pre-release expectations, the summer report card to date:

- Age of Ultron: Underperformed expectations domestically

- Hot Pursuit: did probably as well as it could

- Pitch Perfect 2: Overperformed

- Fury Road: Overperformed

- Tomorrowland: The only bomb so far this summer

- San Andreas: Overperformed

- Spy, Insidious and Entourage: Pretty much in line with expectations though Spy could have opened to more

- Jurassic World: Who saw this coming?

And yet you have some articles (variety) claiming this summer has been disappointing up until Jurassic World hit. 

It sounds like the first Avengers all over again. Theaters totally caught with their pants down.

That's exactly what this is. Theaters everywhere have been blindsided, and there aren't enough shows. 

• Like 1

That's exactly what this is. Theaters everywhere have been blindsided, and there aren't enough shows. 

I'm calling it now. Between spillover from weekend sellouts and a bit of artificial deflation on Sunday night due to the NBA and Game of Thrones, Monday is going to hit $30m.

• Like 2

Just recieved an official eminent domain notice that my house is scheduled for demoltion at 8:30 P.M. tonight to make way for a make shift drive in jumbo screen due to open tomorrow morning in order to accomodate the public's overwhelming to need to watch this movie.

Edited by ExcelFTW

According to kowhite, the 3 sequels themselves cost more than 1B. And the 5th movie has already run up almost 300M+ according to documents filed in Australia.

They're getting some massive rebates on the fifth one, though. Enough to bring the budget back into the "expensive but bearable" category.

And yet you have some articles (variety) claiming this summer has been disappointing up until Jurassic World hit. 

Ultron and Tomorrowland hurt this year in comparison to last year so far. Last May had TASM2, Neighbors, Godzilla, DOFP and Maleficent - 4 of which crossed the 200M mark. Compared to that May did lag last May. June and July will help this summer overtake last year since last year's June and July pretty much sucked.

It seems such a generic summer film..

Fail to see the record appeal.

I see 150 million ow appeal not 200+

Lol

I feel the complete opposite.  It'e everything a summer blockbuster should be...lots of fun, great characters, ridiculously awesome effects and a story that is larger than life with a climax that is about as pulse pounding as any film in memory.

• Like 3

I had a more family centric crowd at my 11:30 show...the kids around my seats seemed to be totally into it. There was a lot of clapping at the end, so good to see.

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1