K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Finally get to post-been meaning to all weekend but the blasted thread gets 30 pages longer if you leave for a half hour. Finally caught up!

My reaction- This will go down in box office lore. To outgross average tracking by 80-90 million is just ridiculous.  What a way to remind people that the Jurassic Park franchise is one of the biggest ever.  Assuming it hits 208 or higher, 3 out of 4 movies break the OW record with the last being 22 years after the first. This is incredible.

As far as the movie itself- CROWD PLEASER. For fans of JP it's amazing trip back to see the Park actually open. For non fans, it's a full fledged summer blockbuster thrill ride.

For me-I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan (#4 fave film of all time). I couldn't imagine a better ending for someone who loves Jurassic Park :

When they made the comment about needing more teeth and BDH opens the gate and pulls out the flare-I almost jumped out of my seat. The way they gave due credit and let the T-Rex shine was something they couldn't have pulled off better.  The hero's entrance for him was absolutely sensational. Also, the little non-verbal communication after the fight was over between the T-rex and Raptor gave me chills.

I don't know if I could have asked for anything better for an ending if I was personally advising the film.

This is a rare phenomenon.  OW record is going down, spillover business will get Monday at 30 million plus, and this thing could very well be on a crash course with 600 million.  Stunning.

+1

Completely agree with the rest.

Well July 4th was observed that day, so TDK's number is a legit number to beat.

I agree. That's why $24.5M should be the real target and people should avoid expecting $30M or even $28M

Edited by superduperm

Yep, agree 100% on the ending. Some might say it was too much of a nostalgia play but I think it was perfectly executed. Grand slam third act. 

It always bothered me in JP3 when the Spinosauraus killed a t-rex right at the beginning. I know they felt they had to prove a point about how bad spino was, but always thought it was an insult to the fans.  The ending of JW is almost vindication for that moment and it was like the king emphatically regaining his throne. I loved it.

Boxoffice.com estimated 85m opening and 233 total in their long range forecast. They would have been close if that prediction was for OD and OW respectively.

And the second weekend is gonna be at least $10m higher than that too. :lol: This stuff is just mindblowing. Hail the dino romp!

Seriously I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Jurassic World will break the OW record. I know the first 2 movies broke it but every other OW breaking movie was the most anticipated movie of that year (HP1, SM1, DMC, SM3, TDK, TA1, etc). I mean, that's how you get the biggest OW ever. But JW was no where near that position in the year where we have TA2, MJ2, and SW8. Or maybe it was, but we were not aware of that? I'm so happy though. JW is not a perfect movie but I loved it. The most fun I've ever had at the cinema this year. And I also loved all the tributes to Jurassic Park. Brought back happy (and scary?) childhood memories.

Edited by catlover

Variety update on Friday.

The returning dinosaurs have stirred up a maelstrom of social activity. Anticipation has been fevered since the first trailer debuted, and “Jurassic World” went on from there to amass an enormous 167 million YouTube views in addition to 106 million on Facebook. “Jurassic World” has driven a gigantic 615,000 tweets, which in 2015 is a total that’s third only to “Ultron” with 1.58 million tweets and “Furious 7” with 1.15 million tweets. “Jurassic World” comes in second to “Ultron” on search volume but outdoes “Furious 7,” with the dinos netting 365,000 searches to “Furious 7’s” 360,000, both in the shadow of “Ultron’s” 1.3 million searches. All told, “Jurassic World” is set for a huge total of about $125 million for the weekend.

http://variety.com/2015/data/box-office/digital-tracking-jurassic-world-will-devour-125-million-at-the-box-office-1201518701/

:lol: This is so wrong

I was going to quote 33Legend's post but quickly backed off when the spoilers were there.

My point was going to be: do people seriously think a $30M Monday is likely? I just don't see it. Personally I would be surprised if it beat SM2 for highest Monday gross ever.

$30M would be about as shocking as TDK's first Monday.

I just feel there is so much demand that theatres weren't ready for that Monday is going to play incredibly big in a way TDK did in 2008. So many reports of people not getting in will push them to Monday.

It certainly would be shocking to hit 30 mill on Monday,, but every single number JW has put up has been shocking and historic this weekend. I just expect it to continue.

I just feel there is so much demand that theatres weren't ready for that Monday is going to play incredibly big in a way TDK did in 2008. So many reports of people not getting in will push them to Monday.

It certainly would be shocking to hit 30 mill on Monday,, but every single number JW has put up has been shocking and historic this weekend. I just expect it to continue.

Same here. This feels just like TDK. TA1 had the same kind of buzz/spillover but was in early May so not enough kids were out to make a push for a crazy Monday number. JP4 has enough kids out of school in June to pull a repeat of what we saw with TDK, just on a bigger scale. Going to be fun to watch.

• Like 2

Dinos reign supreme again 65 million years after extinction.  Even though I don't think the movie is all that great, I'm really enjoying this because absolutely nobody saw it coming, its like AS again but bigger.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2