K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

AVTR's magnitude of success was shocking.  No debate, and listed in my top five most astonishing box office tales just a few pages back....

....JW's OW is far more shocking, in my opinion.

-No gimmicks (Cameron's masterful hyping of 3D and the media playing along calling it "revolutionary", even though Zemeckis had achieved 100% of what Cameron achieved with 3D and handheld CG "filming", and did so 5 and 2 years earlier, respectively)

-Minimal track record (JP was huge....22 years ago, and w/ two very middling sequels in between).  Cameron had T2 (#2 R-rated movie of all time) and Titanic (#1)

-No expectations.  This was supposed to be a solid summer performer. 200 to 300m.  That's all.

-Not a CBM, not a trendy tween franchise

The only comp I can make is POTC, but even that wasn't nearly this big.

Zemekis had never done what Cameron achieved. LOL

Dude you are a serious and worse and a fabricater of untruths lol. ROFL. What Zemekis achieve is animation not creating a world so realistic that you cant tell whats CGi and whats not throughout the movie. You got to be on meds lol

• Like 1

With hindsight I'd still say Avengers was more shocking. Jurassic World at least had the precedent of being the "true" sequel to the biggest movie between E.T. and Titanic (plus two OW records for the series). But Hulk and Captain America with some friends battling a second tier villain? And it looks like a big budget TV show? Really?

Avengers OW wasnt shocking at all, it was expected to break the record Cory. JP a long dormant but potentially having mega potential

living up to it is way more shocking than Avengers. Nothiing is more shocking than the AVtrs and Titanic dominance of the BO(And that Cameron achieved this back to back after taking a 13 yr break is more insane) :).. THe OW record may be broken in December if SWs7 strikes the must see chord just right. If not then it will be B  vs Supes or Avatar 2

• Like 1

Anyone know what page rths last update was on?

Baumer what do you think? Think the OW record could be as high as 215-217M :)?

Out of curiosity if SWS breaks the OW record in December of this year, wouldnt that be just as insane??? lol?

Edited by Superman001

Avengers OW wasnt shocking at all, it was expected to break the record Cory. JP a long dormant but potentially having mega potential

living up to it is way more shocking than Avengers. Nothiing is more shocking than the AVtrs and Titanic dominance of the BO(And that Cameron achieved this back to back after taking a 13 yr break is more insane) :).. THe OW record may be broken in December if SWs7 strikes the must see chord just right. If not then it will be B  vs Supes or Avatar 2

You can argue JW opening was more surprising but you definitely can't argue that Avengers OW was not shocking AT ALL. It broke the record by nearly 40M to a number most people didn't think was even possible. Sure people were saying that it had a chance of breaking the record but people certainly weren't talking 207M big until the numbers started to come in

• Like 1

You can argue JW opening was more surprising but you definitely can't argue that Avengers OW was not shocking AT ALL. It broke the record by nearly 40M to a number most people didn't think was even possible. Sure people were saying that it had a chance of breaking the record but people certainly weren't talking 207M big until the numbers started to come in

Exactly. I had thought TDKR would break the record with 180M, with nothing on the horizon having record potential after that except for a sequel to TASM. Then TA swooped in and showed the true power of 3D spillover and TASM left no impression on anyone.

Oh alot of us had 190- 200+M for the OW Killman. And even lowends were 180-190M... So it was an amazing OW, but I didnt think super shocking. I was one of them predicting I think 215-220M for it.

Definitely a shock to see the worlds first 200+M OW by Avengers 1 , but not as grand a shock as seeing JPw pull off a bigger haul, coming off a JP film that sort of tanked at the BO and 15 yrs later. Definitely the bigger success story. Not to mention JP world may pass both Furious 7 WW and SW7.. This is some crazy but awesome BO Madness.

Hope JPW hits 1.6-1.7B WW

] JP World  living up and beyond its potential with a chance at 600-700M domestic is beyond a shocking come back.

Edited by Superman001

I was here for Avenger OW (albeit as a lurker) and this is by far a bigger shock. Avengers was talked about for OW record. People didn't think it'll pass DH2 by that much, but they did predict it'll get the record.

No one predicted this and no one came within 50m close, even.

Oh alot of us had 190- 200+M for the OW Killman. And even lowends were 180-190M... So it was an amazing OW, but I didnt think super shocking. I was one of them predicting I think 215-220M for it.

Definitely a shock to see the worlds first 200+M OW by Avengers 1 , but not as grand a shock as seeing JPw pull off a bigger haul, coming off a JP film that sort of tanked at the BO and 15 yrs later. Definitely the bigger success story. Not to mention JP world may pass both Furious 7 WW and SW7.. This is some crazy but awesome BO Madness.

Hope JPW hits 1.6-1.7B WW

] JP World  living up and beyond its potential with a chance at 600-700M domestic is beyond a shocking come back.

I just went to the JW over AOU thread...and to see how on the first 3 pages everyone thought Excel was crazy to even create that thread, only to change their minds in just a few hours was freaking hilarious.

Edited by Queen Shar
  • Like 3

I think the Friday and Saturday  numbers will be bigger in actuals. I cant see the Saturday not topping 70plus million.

Sunday I hope hits 60+ :D.. News from ABC, CNN etc range from 210-225M new record.. Wow

Never trust media outlets, we probably have more accurate information. I mean 225m....come on that would put Sunday increasing from Saturday

Edited by eXtacy

^ None of those channels ever said $225m.

"number of domestic box office records with a $204.6 million take, the Rentrak media-measurement company estimated on Sunday." This is from ABC News.

So, again...Kal is talking out of his ass.

I was here for Avenger OW (albeit as a lurker) and this is by far a bigger shock. Avengers was talked about for OW record. People didn't think it'll pass DH2 by that much, but they did predict it'll get the record.

No one predicted this and no one came within 50m close, even.

I thought only BKB predicted TA to break the record.

It is the opening weekend record but with a 48 % 3d share doubtful it sold as many tickets as the big three.

However the other three had expectations to break the record and this did not.

About Ta smart posters knew with 80 million it would do near 200 million.

Edited by Lordmandeep