#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Just can't see it. I mean, IO is Docter's passion project and he's been shepherding it from the moment he pitched it. You're really going to say he was just as involved on Cars 2 or Brave or even Monsters University?

Not just as involved, no. He's directing one so he's going to be hands-on. But for the others, he's still a major part of Pixar's brain trust (actually, since Stanton went off to do JC, Bird to do MI and Tomorrowland, and Lasseter got promoted to Disney's CCO, he might be the most central member of the trust). He's going to have input into everything Pixar does.

When I 1st looked IO early afternoon had it near TS3 so likes high 30's thought no way , same thought with JW last week early afternoon had it mid-high 70's though no way lowered it

JW just seeing if 30 is in play,

working this stuff out bad best times let alone trying to do it on mobile phones

Thanks for your input rth! I appreciate it, and understand how hard it can be to interpret early numbers. Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts and number updates!

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

When I 1st looked IO early afternoon had it near TS3 so likes high 30's thought no way , same thought with JW last week early afternoon had it mid-high 70's though no way lowered it

JW just seeing if 30 is in play,

working this stuff out bad best times let alone trying to do it on mobile phones

That can't be easy. Take your time but you're killing me.

So JW could still goes lower or you're just freaking me out.. :ph34r:

Think you're overstating your case a bit. Especially now with everyone working on their own projects (and Bird and Stanton being away from Pixar), it's hard for me to believe he had as much input on Cars 2 as he did on Up or Inside Out.

Each Pixar movie has a director (and/or co-director) to lead the particular team for the project. And usually it was their idea originally. But the Pixar creative team is involved throughout the script development process, watches all the various cuts and in-progress sequences, and (on occasion) if they feel the project is going astray, they'll take control -- like what happened with RATATOUILLE. And of course sequences have animation supervisors and directors whose job is to oversee the vision for that particular sequence. Animation is extraordinarily collaborative.

But aren t big VFX heavy tentpoles done like animation these days ?

Aside from technical similarities, not really so much, because they're answering back to the ultimate creative vision (the director's). It's really best to think of them as next-gen storyboarding.

• Like 1

Each Pixar movie has a director (and/or co-director) to lead the particular team for the project. And usually it was their idea originally. But the Pixar creative team is involved throughout the script development process, watches all the various cuts and in-progress sequences, and (on occasion) if they feel the project is going astray, they'll take control -- like what happened with RATATOUILLE. And of course sequences have animation supervisors and directors whose job is to oversee the vision for that particular sequence. Animation is extraordinarily collaborative.

I'm well aware of that, but naturally you're more in control when you're a director than a guy just giving advice from the sidelines. I don't blame James Cameron for Sanctum or Christopher Nolan for Man of Steel either. I do blame Stanton for John Carter.

Which isn't to say that I appreciate DBrennan's obvious attempt to get a rise out of people, of course.

Edited by tribefan695

I'm well aware of that, but naturally you're more in control when you're a director than a guy just giving advice from the sidelines. I don't blame James Cameron for Sanctum or Christopher Nolan for Man of Steel either. I do blame Stanton for John Carter.

But again, you're using live-action examples. The Pixar guys are far more integrated into each movie's production than any live-action consultant or producer would be.

Which isn't to say that I appreciate DBrennan's obvious attempt to get a rise out of people, of course.

Ya, I got that feeling also..