#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

It's so funny watching contemporary Hollywood consumers suddenly decide that they're "disturbed" and "offended" and "unsettled" and "concerned by" a gag death of a fourth-tier character in a monster movie.

There's nothing white people love more than being offended....http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended/

• Like 3

Those of you complaining

about Zara's death  Zara's death was one of the best parts of the movie.  Brutal?  Sure.  Fun?  Yep.  Complaining about someone dying in a brutal way in a Jurassic movie is a little strange to me.  It's not misogynistic or sexist, it was just a really cool death.  At that point in the film, people were hooked.  And to quote Spielberg when Richard Zanuck told him that no one would believe that a shark would blow up at the end of JAWS, Spielberg (paraphrasing here) told him, "Rich, at this point of the movie, I'm going to have the audience, I can do whatever I want and they'll believe it because at this point they are going to be completely drawn into it."  And that's how it played out in JW.  Zra's death was awesome and Treverrow had us eating out of his hand at this point.  So he gave us what we wanted, an awesome spectacle and it worked.  If we were into the movie at this point, after her death, it was like someone just gave us an Uma Thurman shot of adrenaline to the heart.  And from there on, the movie is on steroids.  It just keeps your heart racing and the last act of the movie basically started with her brutal and awesome death.

• Like 8

Those of you complaining

about Zara's death  Zara's death was one of the best parts of the movie.  Brutal?  Sure.  Fun?  Yep.  Complaining about someone dying in a brutal way in a Jurassic movie is a little strange to me.  It's not misogynistic or sexist, it was just a really cool death.  At that point in the film, people were hooked.  And to quote Spielberg when Richard Zanuck told him that no one would believe that a shark would blow up at the end of JAWS, Spielberg (paraphrasing here) told him, "Rich, at this point of the movie, I'm going to have the audience, I can do whatever I want and they'll believe it because at this point they are going to be completely drawn into it."  And that's how it played out in JW.  Zra's death was awesome and Treverrow had us eating out of his hand at this point.  So he gave us what we wanted, an awesome spectacle and it worked.  If we were into the movie at this point, after her death, it was like someone just gave us an Uma Thurman shot of adrenaline to the heart.  And from there on, the movie is on steroids.  It just keeps your heart racing and the last act of the movie basically started with her brutal and awesome death.

Don't even indulge these people's fake outrage.  It's just WPMP (White People's Moral Prenning) in an attempt to look morally superior.

"In a world where God is dead....people prove their moral superiority by becoming SJWs.  They are the new church ladies."

The claim that Hollywood consumers are offended by the violence , of all movies, in 'Jurassic World' is laughable on its face.

• Like 2

Yea, but David, Tele is a friend and I'm treading lightly here.  I do find it silly to be offended by a death, but if Tele was, I don't want to offend him by saying he's being silly.  :)  Even though he is.  ;)

• Like 4

Yea, but David, Tele is a friend and I'm treading lightly here.  I do find it silly to be offended by a death, but if Tele was, I don't want to offend him by saying he's being silly.   :)  Even though he is.  ;)

I think I speak for everyone.  Offend away.  Because he's the mod this forum deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll cause offense. Because he can take it. Because he's old.  So very, very old.  He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight. ;)

• Like 7

JW dropped only 39% in Australia against the opening of both Minions and IO.

JW = AUD9.87m

Minions + IO = AUD9.45m

Avatar's old 2nd weekend record was AUD8.75m set over Christmas weekend.
  • Like 3

Seriously, some of you people need a fun DNA injection. You took stuffs too seriously and it sucked the fun out of your movie experience.

At least JW B.O. result has shown that most people weren't as over-sensitive nor as easily offended as some of you were.

And YEAH for JW Sun estimate. I know it'd go up!

• Like 2

How refreshing is it to see Universal shun headlines and low ball their movie both weekends?  They don't need headlines, they know their product is good enough to keep people coming back.  WOM is pretty much through the roof.

• Like 4

JW dropped only 39% in Australia against the opening of both Minions and IO.

JW = AUD9.87m

Minions + IO = AUD9.45m

Avatar's old 2nd weekend record was AUD8.75m set over Christmas weekend.

It helps when school holidays have started and uni exams are finishing

Titanic is still the most impressive box-office story since the 80s.

Yep, I agree.  It's highest grossing day came on it's 58th day of release, and it was in wide release from the beginning.  That's frikkin freakish.

• Like 1

It helps when school holidays have started and uni exams are finishing

Yea, but beyond schools being out, Minions and IO finishing behind it is quite impressive.

How refreshing is it to see Universal shun headlines and low ball their movie both weekends?  They don't need headlines, they know their product is good enough to keep people coming back.  WOM is pretty much through the roof.

It is? From what I heard JW seemed to have mixed WOM. :mellow:

It is? From what I heard JW seemed to have mixed WOM. :mellow:

Then how do you explain the weekday numbers and the second weekend hold?

You might think it's mixed here but IRL, it's obviously appealing to many.

• Like 1